Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
xlr8nova

Drives: nova
12 bolt replacement upgrade. Any interest?

I am currently working with a retired pattern maker/ IHRA racer to develop a core box for a direct factory replacement 12bolt center section. We are looking at making core boxes for both aluminum and cast iron. They would bolt up in the factory rear sub and have 33 spline eaton posi units with chromoly stubs. Obvioulsy we would also be working on Chromoly outer stubs and upgraded axle shafts.

Originally we have thought about a solid axle conversion but after seeing that the rear sub and Fuel tank would have to be eliminated a direct replacement unit was decided on instead.

Obviously with the upgrade to the 12 bolt you would be able to take advantage of the available gear ratios for the 12 bolt.

We are gauging interest in this project and would like to hear questions/ comments from you guys to see how many people would be interested in this potential upgrade.

Cheers,

Ken.
xlr8nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
It is the "FIELD OF DREAMS" stuff.....

"IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME"

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
So many superchargers being installed that you will have a very interested market I believe.
Stewcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
jamesfl
BAD 4SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS with ground effect
I'm in

Price it right and you have my money.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
xlr8nova

full on moser upgrades for fourth gen are 2200-2800. we're going to try and keep in line with that. That's another reason for the bolt in replacement. We're trying to keep this as budget freindly as possible.

upgrade housing then when budget/time allows axles/ outer stubs... etc... We're in the same boat as many. we can only upgrade our race cars as time/budget allows.

Ken.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nova View Post
full on moser upgrades for fourth gen are 2200-2800. we're going to try and keep in line with that. That's another reason for the bolt in replacement. We're trying to keep this as budget freindly as possible.

upgrade housing then when budget/time allows axles/ outer stubs... etc... We're in the same boat as many. we can only upgrade our race cars as time/budget allows.

Ken.

Ken -

PM sent.

-Bruce
Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Vinz68

Drives: 68,69,72&10 Camaro's 12 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcam View Post
So many superchargers being installed that you will have a very interested market I believe.
I agree...I don't think the stock rear end's are going to hold up to well with a bunch of HP and traction.
Vinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nova View Post

Ken.
SUBSCRIBED!

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Include the upgraded half shafts too. Make it a turn-key deal. I don't expect massive sales just yet, but in 3-4 years when these cars are cheaper on the used market and people are more into heavily modifying them, then those axles will sell in quantities. You will get an initial surge at first, then it will plateau for a couple years.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
xlr8nova

Nine Ball -

I hear ya my freind. That's exactly what we are planning. A whole turn key package or components so that you can build your camaro at time and money allow's. We are budget minded racers and are just as excited to see the new Camaro as you guys are to have them.

Many have already raced to the market with upgraded outer stubs and axles. And believe me we have already tried to partner up with Strange and Moser on this. They are both understandably shy about jumping into this project.
Especially with GM looking to cut and slash whever possible.

Then we had talked to GM performance parts about the existing differential they were telling us they had 750 horse on these differentials. But when when we asked they if they had put a slick in it yet they gave us that "uh-oh" look. Being engine builders ourselves we knew people would want serious power and that power is only as good as the rest of your drivetrain.

Cheers,

Ken.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
if you make a bolt in swap and you will have a money maker,,, id be in for sure!
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
xlr8nova

Direct bolt in is what we are going for. I've been contacted by a Camaro5 member that has a Camaro housing that he's willing to lend to me so that a housing can be completely digitized. This will enable us to design the housing and stubs so that everything is bolt-in.

Ken.