Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
87mm vs. 95mm TB with LT2 IM?

I'm placing my order for a ported LT2 intake manifold from GPI tomorrow.

I currently have a Pray ported 87mm throttle body.
I'm curious if it is worth the extra $125 to have the inlet ported to take a 95mm and I will also have to buy a Katech ported 95mm throttle body for $400

Does anybody have experience with power gain difference with ported LT2 between ported 87mm vs. ported 95mm TB? is it worth the extra cash?

Dyno graphs are much appreciated.

Thanks!
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
porting tbs on stock cars is going to show $100+/hp gain. my car showed 0 going from a stock tb to a pray ported stock tb. then to further test basic mods, my car picked up 14 whp adding a msd, 95 mm tb and rotofab vs stock tb, ported lt1 im and stock (modified) air box.

my opinion is that ported TBs are not worth the money. i paid $221 shipped for the LT5 tb i bought new from sdparts.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
porting tbs on stock cars is going to show $100+/hp gain. my car showed 0 going from a stock tb to a pray ported stock tb. then to further test basic mods, my car picked up 14 whp adding a msd, 95 mm tb and rotofab vs stock tb, ported lt1 im and stock (modified) air box.

my opinion is that ported TBs are not worth the money. i paid $221 shipped for the LT5 tb i bought new from sdparts.
Sorry, forgot to mention I have Rotofab dry filter, 87mm PTB, TSP 1 7/8" long tube headers w/ high flow cats, stock NPP exhaust and tune.
I will be buying a flex fuel sensor and tuning for E85 shortly after I get the intake manifold on.

I was mainly just comparing 87mm vs. 95mm, not just the porting. I emphasized the porting on the 87mm because I feel like it offers around the same air flow as a stock 95mm.
Just wondering if the size step-up from 87 to 95 is worth it.
I will also have to make my own gasket, or use black RTV if the inlet on the IM gets ported to 95mm.

Hoping someone shows me that while keeping my ported 87mm, I'm not missing out on much from the 95mm.
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
my car had 2" long tubes & full 3" custom exhaust (no cats) and ethanol at the time of ported vs stock tb comparison. i don't think you'll miss out on much for the simple fact that i dont think there is much to be had using a 95 mm tb vs a stock one. i certainly don't think a ported 87 is going to be comparable to a 95. it might be on a stockish engine because they don't really make enough power to show the difference.