Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Brutaliate

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Ticking Noise, fairly confident it's a lifter. (Video Link Included)

Hey Guys,

I did some browsing on the forums here, and I couldn't find any clear cut answers and I'm looking for some confirmation.

2018 1SS M - 18500~ miles

The car just has kooks LT, and an e85 tune and I honestly baby it and hardly drive it. Couple mornings ago I was driving just to get some gas, and I noticed a ticket noise much louder than the typical DI noise which can be heard from outside, and within the cabin consistently.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JAb...ew?usp=sharing

I've parked the car and haven't driven it since, I'm just playing it safe. Unfortunately because of the tune and headers my warranty is out the window. If it is the lifter, I'm fine with replacing it and I'm not interested in camming the car at this time. I'm just unsure what my options are when it comes to replacing the lifters, am I just stuck getting AFM ones as replacements or do I have other options with the stock cam?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Brutaliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Your warranty is not out the window. Headers are fine. Take the tune back to stock Exhaust leak ? Did you use gm exhaust gaskets ?
Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Much of the times these ticks and clicks we hear are probably normal operation or maybe a header leak. I don't think that is the case for you unfortunately. To my ear that indeed has a very mechanical valve train sound much like a lifter/push rod. However as mentioned its worth eliminating the possibility of a header exhaust leak. I've seen a lot of people fix their engine ticks with a new set of exhaust gaskets.

The headers, tune and e85 sensor certainly can cause a dealership to deny warranty work. But who knows - some dealerships are willing to turn a blind eye to mods that are not likely to be directly related to the issue. I'd say take it in - no harm in asking - until you do the answer is by default "no".

Good luck and keep us posted.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowtie1 View Post
Your warranty is not out the window. Headers are fine. Take the tune back to stock Exhaust leak ? Did you use gm exhaust gaskets ?
The very first thing I thought when I heard the video was exhaust manifold leak.

Get a long piece of vacuum hose, with one end ant your ear, move the other end around the headers.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Once again, headers will not void your warranty. GM performance parts sells arh for our cars. The Magnuson moss Federal warranty act protects you.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
The tune most certainly will void warranty if the dealer wants it to
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
I agree 100% but some dealers overlook it and some will find anything not to fix something. My dealer told me any system I mess with is voided, so if I did headers anything in the entire exhaust system is on me. My brother Silverados engine had to be replaced and the dealer did it even with a tune and exhaust here in South Fl
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
check your spark plug wires. you may have a loose one. there are multiple people who did work in the engine bay and developed a tick. i has turned out on several guys cars that it was a simple loose plug wire. it makes a hellaof a tick
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Brutaliate

Quote:
When we installed the headers we used the ones provided by Kooks, I also have checked them several times since the install to make sure the bolts aren't backing out or anything. They were installed somewhere around ~10k miles ago.

I'll definitely check them again though, as well as the spark plug wires. I had my father come over and listen to the car today, hes got a lot of experience with engine work and he thought it sounded mechanical as well, but he thought it was very minor at this time and that I caught it very early. I have read some horror stories on here of the AFM lifters collapsing and causing serious damage, so I don't want to take any chances. I just hope nothing else is damaged, and I can just replace the lifters if that's the issue.

All that aside, are the OEM AFM lifters my only option with the stock cam?
Old 09-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Correct, but once you touch the ECU the warranty goes bye bye. Not to mention it's running on a different fuel now.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
A tune will void the powertrain warranty from GM. There is a flash counter on these ECU's. Whenever it is flashed it creates a new code, which is then registered with GM. If GM requests (and this is important) an ECU read out, and the codes don't match, GM will deny warranty reimbursement to the dealer.

As far as the dealer goes, on a modified car, the only thing really up to them is if they want to work on it. As far as the warranty goes, if it's something that doesn't really need GM's direct approval, often something very minor, or a TSB or recall, as long as GM doesn't request an ECU readout, they'll probably handle it. Again, on a modified car, that is up to dealer policy.

The main reason a dealer may refuse to work on a modified car, isn't so much about warranty as it is liability. Since it is modified, they do not know what exactly, who exactly, and how exactly all of that was done. Once they take it in, and if something happens to the engine while in the shop, for whatever reason, it opens a pandora's box of blame and legal liability. Many dealerships may tell you to take it back to the shop that did the modifications since technically, it's more their engine than GM's at that point.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #12
Brutaliate

For those that were still interested in knowing how this played out, it ended up being a corroded spark plug wire, I know in the video it sounds very metal on metal, but a new spark plug wire and the car started running perfectly.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #13
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Check your plug wires first.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I had a very similar sound recently - seems it was most likely a burnt plug wire - but Im am glad I took it in -as they discovered a lifter was going ( which is what I feared from the sound) - so to hell with it - change everything
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote