Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #85
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I'm very excited about C8 Z06.

A return to it's NA roots is a significant step. Throw in a lightweight ME DOHC high revving (the rumor is 9000 rpm) via FPC 625+ HP 550+ TQ powerplant makes C8 Z06 even more intriguing to me. Although many are concerned about the vibration (see GT350) associated with a higher (than previously successful) displacement V8, I personally believe that Chevrolet learned from the overheating debacle with the C7 Z06 and the success of C8.R. IMO, they won't throw this motor into their halo car without supreme confidence. Doing that would invalidate the entire premise of affordable world beater ME and ultimately Zora's, Chevrolet Performance (and to a lesser extent Juechter's) vision.

Some new rumors have surfaced about 3 aero options including active aero, variable ride height, reduced rotating mass, DSSV and the Z07 option. All exciting stuff. Some of these aero and suspension patent applications date back to C7 days. I believe that may have been trying to stay ahead, perhaps a smokescreen for C8 or maybe a little of both. Some may be reserved for ZR1 or Zora level C8's.

I don't know about you guys but the thought of active aero for both splitter and wing, dynamic ride height, CF wheels and components, functional rear diffuser to name a few give me a bit of a soft chubby.

With that said; the 900 pound gorilla in the room (pun intended) is weight of C8 Z06. I know... the current mind set at GM appears to be creature comfort over performance (see ZLE, imagine the increased performance if ZLE was 150+ pounds lighter). I also understand that fear originates likely with the sales numbers of the 5th gen Z28, believing that reduced weight due to reduction of creature comforts may have been the reason. I get it GM is a for profit venture. However; If this is to be the track performance version of C8, IMO cutting weight should be a high priority for Z06. ZR1 and Zora can be the luxurious supercars, let Z06/Z07 be the track capable version of the C8 model.

If Tadge and the team can trim the fat by eliminating some of the unnecessary creature comforts and keep the GVW at or below 3400, that would make it a very special weapon. As well as reducing consumption of consumables that these heavy cars do. 625 HP at 3400 lbs. becomes much more potent and relative. That's a lot of juice on a circuit.

Sure, optioned up like that would come at a price. Likely less than GT4 and certainly less than GT4 RS. Heck, It might even give GT2 RS a go, that very special car is one of C8's bench marks. Plus Covette is engineered and built in the good ol' USA.

Personally, I would gladly trade my beloved ZLE for that car.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #86
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

A return to it's NA roots is a significant step. Throw in a lightweight ME DOHC high revving (the rumor is 9000 rpm) via FPC 625+ HP 550+ TQ powerplant makes C8 Z06 even more intriguing to me. Although many are concerned about the vibration (see GT350) associated with a higher (than previously successful) displacement V8, I personally believe that Chevrolet learned from the overheating debacle with the C7 Z06 and the success of C8.R. IMO, they won't throw this motor into their halo car without supreme confidence. Doing that would invalidate the entire premise of affordable world beater ME and ultimately Zora's, Chevrolet Performance (and to a lesser extent Juechter's) vision.

Some new rumors have surfaced about 3 aero options including active aero, variable ride height, reduced rotating mass, DSSV and the Z07 option. All exciting stuff. Some of these aero and suspension patent applications date back to C7 days. I believe that may have been trying to stay ahead, perhaps a smokescreen for C8 or maybe a little of both. Some may be reserved for ZR1 or Zora level C8's.

I don't know about you guys but the thought of active aero for both splitter and wing, dynamic ride height, CF wheels and components, functional rear diffuser to name a few give me a bit of a soft chubby.

With that said; the 900 pound gorilla in the room (pun intended) is weight of C8 Z06. I know... the current mind set at GM appears to be creature comfort over performance (see ZLE, imagine the increased performance if ZLE was 150+ pounds lighter). I also understand that fear originates likely with the sales numbers of the 5th gen Z28, believing that reduced weight due to reduction of creature comforts may have been the reason. I get it GM is a for profit venture. However; If this is to be the track performance version of C8, IMO cutting weight should be a high priority for Z06. ZR1 and Zora can be the luxurious supercars, let Z06/Z07 be the track capable version of the C8 model.

If Tadge and the team can trim the fat by eliminating some of the unnecessary creature comforts and keep the GVW at or below 3400, that would make it a very special weapon. As well as reducing consumption of consumables that these heavy cars do. 625 HP at 3400 lbs. becomes much more potent and relative. That's a lot of juice on a circuit.

Sure, optioned up like that would come at a price. Likely less than GT4 and certainly less than GT4 RS. Heck, It might even give GT2 RS a go, that very special car is one of C8's bench marks. Plus Covette is engineered and built in the good ol' USA.

Excellent post waterman. Somehow has me even more excited about this car. I'm looking for something that laps between a GT3RS and GT2RS. I think they'll pull it off.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #87
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

Hell yes.. if it's this.. I'm in. As far as vibration, hopefully they are getting those gremlins worked out in the C8.R right now.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #88
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Excellent post waterman. Somehow has me even more excited about this car. I'm looking for something that laps between a GT3RS and GT2RS. I think they'll pull it off.
Roger that!

Too bad the Covid thing keeps them out of LeMans this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
Hell yes.. if it's this.. I'm in. As far as vibration, hopefully they are getting those gremlins worked out in the C8.R right now.
Hopefully they do this right.
C8.R having a great season so far. Wins in 4 out of five and both on the podium twice. Homologated LT 6 looking reliable so far in sprints and endurance.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #89
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered

1:38 at Laguna Seca box stock?

sub 3.0 sec 0-60... cars for real.

time to learn how to drive.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #90
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post

1:38 at Laguna Seca box stock?

sub 3.0 sec 0-60... cars for real.

time to learn how to drive.
There is no denying the numbers are there, the issue which has been reiterated across most reviewers, is that the FEEL is not there yet. How it gets there is just as important as getting there with a car like this. It's the reason you buy a sports car. Same goes with its understeer nature unless you have the camber jacked WAY negative which isn't sustainable except on a track.

The sweet spot will still be the Z06 version which will focus more on increased handling limits and feel. Power increase I believe will only be moderately increased from the current levels.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #91
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
There is no denying the numbers are there, the issue which has been reiterated across most reviewers, is that the FEEL is not there yet. How it gets there is just as important as getting there with a car like this. It's the reason you buy a sports car. Same goes with its understeer nature unless you have the camber jacked WAY negative which isn't sustainable except on a track.

The sweet spot will still be the Z06 version which will focus more on increased handling limits and feel. Power increase I believe will only be moderately increased from the current levels.

I watched it two times in some spots I just dont see the understeer on 2 pretty hot laps.

Like I said I guess I still gotta learn to drive...even at 50 years old.

I been "jacking" camber on cars since the late 80's not scared of it. Got the 1le jacked right now!

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #92
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
That understeer issue is likely very easily handled by a stiffer rear anti-roll bar, or even a couple less psi in the rear tires vs recommended.

The new C&D article gives the gt4 a win for feel and I get it... the SLE needs some speed to come alive, the car doesn't feel quite as special puttering around town. It's capable but not dramatic.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #93
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
That understeer issue is likely very easily handled by a stiffer rear anti-roll bar, or even a couple less psi in the rear tires vs recommended.

The new C&D article gives the gt4 a win for feel and I get it... the SLE needs some speed to come alive, the car doesn't feel quite as special puttering around town. It's capable but not dramatic.
Totally agree with you on the SS 1LE comment. It definitely needs lots of speed before it feels special. It's a bit clumsy at the lower speeds.

Obviously a car that feels special both at low speed and high speed is the target and goal of a sports car.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 09-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #94
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
I watched it two times in some spots I just dont see the understeer on 2 pretty hot laps.

Like I said I guess I still gotta learn to drive...even at 50 years old.

I been "jacking" camber on cars since the late 80's not scared of it. Got the 1le jacked right now!
That is because it was probably on the -3 camber track alignment, but you would not want that on a street car that you daily.

Therein-lies the problem, if you want to back road or canyon carve it but are not going to the track, you are left with an inferior understeery car OR you keep the -3 camber and eat thru tires.

Maybe a sway bar adjustment would fix that, but that is not an option on the Z51. I bet it is for the Z06 though.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 09-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #95
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Like with everything... Different strokes for different folks. It's really hard to beat the ZLE in the performance/looks/value departments.

The new C8 does nothing for me personally, but like all the Corvettes of the past the community is older, the dealers take advantage, and both owners and GM views them as hypercars.