Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM   #1
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Tire question

Sorry I did a search and surprisingly only saw one tire thread about this topic.
I just got a 2017 ZL1 and am putting new rear tires on. Right now it has P Zero's.
Looking for the best street tire for the ZL1. I do not plan to track this, even if I did I would be a novice so I'm not even considering that on this purchase.
What does best street tire to me mean? Well, grip/traction is first and foremost. This would be leaning more towards straight line since we don't have many curves out this way. This is NOT a daily driver and I don't plan on driving in wet conditions unless I get caught somewhere but even then I doubt I would be driving that day if any chance of rain.
So for me, my priorities would be:
1. Grip/traction (putting the power to the ground)
2. Lower road noise
3. Comfort
4. Wear
I am running stock rims and sizes and do not plan to change that at the moment.
Also I live in the midwest so some cooler temps happen. I would not be out in 30 degree weather expecting anything, but the possibility of high 40s and 50s certainly exists.
Thanks for any help and advice!
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
The usual suspects, it's pretty cut and dry to the performance as a personal thing, in my own research there's a big gap in the price points with the PS4S being the most expensive, then the Conti, then SC3.

Michelin PS4S
Conti ECS 02
GY SC3

I don't think any one is going to recommend the PZero.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:09 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenmore View Post
Sorry I did a search and surprisingly only saw one tire thread about this topic.
I just got a 2017 ZL1 and am putting new rear tires on. Right now it has P Zero's.
Looking for the best street tire for the ZL1. I do not plan to track this, even if I did I would be a novice so I'm not even considering that on this purchase.
What does best street tire to me mean? Well, grip/traction is first and foremost. This would be leaning more towards straight line since we don't have many curves out this way. This is NOT a daily driver and I don't plan on driving in wet conditions unless I get caught somewhere but even then I doubt I would be driving that day if any chance of rain.
2. Lower road noise
3. Comfort
4. Wear
Also I live in the midwest so some cooler temps happen. I would not be out in 30 degree weather expecting anything, but the possibility of high 40s and 50s certainly exists.
I'm a big PS4S advocate in general, those tires are the best in overall performance and comfort. However, since you want maximum straight line performance (point 1), you need to understand that your other 3 points will definitely be compromised, so the question is how much you're willing to tolerate.

The PS4S has very good dry traction, excellent wet traction, very low road noise (especially when new), great ride quality and great real world treadwear, considering that this is a 650 hp sports car.

The Continentals WhiteMale mentioned above have very similar characteristics, a bit worse than the PS4S but significantly cheaper in general.

Your car came with Goodyear Supercar3 tires stock, and those are excellent on a road course, they grip in corners like there's no tomorrow, but they also only grip the best when warm enough, and the street isn't the best venue to do that (this applies even more to the Supercar 3R tires the ZL1 1LE comes with).

Since you want maximum straight line traction, at this point you definitely have better options, namely the Nitto 555 RII or the Toyo R888R streetable drag radials that are still somewhat street tires (unlike Mickey Thompsons, for example). I have not driven the Nittos yet, but the Toyos have a distinct monster truck whine at 45-50 mph and above, and one has to be very careful with them in the rain, is has fewer evacuation channels and only 6/32nds tread when new, although I understand wet traction is not a priority for you.

In summary, there is no tire that will deliver the max in all four categories you selected, so you need to decide where you're willing to compromise. I'd probably try to find ZL1 owners in your vicinity who have one or another of these tire choices and ask them to drive you around in their Camaro to at least get a feel for the ride quality and noise, maybe even dry traction. Other than that, the only route I see is trying them yourself, which may be expensive, but nobody on the internet can tell you what the perfect tradeoff for your personal taste and satisfaction is.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:38 PM   #4
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
My stock GY SC3 have not got me in trouble yet, but I avoid the rain and I pay attention to tire temps before I really put my foot down.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:35 PM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
The usual suspects, it's pretty cut and dry to the performance as a personal thing, in my own research there's a big gap in the price points with the PS4S being the most expensive, then the Conti, then SC3.

Michelin PS4S
Conti ECS 02
GY SC3

great choices here. I ran the PS4S on my 2010, and running the Conti 2's on the new ZL1. No issues running here in Indy on either, and did great in the rain.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:53 PM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'm a big PS4S advocate in general, those tires are the best in overall performance and comfort. However, since you want maximum straight line performance (point 1), you need to understand that your other 3 points will definitely be compromised, so the question is how much you're willing to tolerate.

The PS4S has very good dry traction, excellent wet traction, very low road noise (especially when new), great ride quality and great real world treadwear, considering that this is a 650 hp sports car.

The Continentals WhiteMale mentioned above have very similar characteristics, a bit worse than the PS4S but significantly cheaper in general.

Your car came with Goodyear Supercar3 tires stock, and those are excellent on a road course, they grip in corners like there's no tomorrow, but they also only grip the best when warm enough, and the street isn't the best venue to do that (this applies even more to the Supercar 3R tires the ZL1 1LE comes with).

Since you want maximum straight line traction, at this point you definitely have better options, namely the Nitto 555 RII or the Toyo R888R streetable drag radials that are still somewhat street tires (unlike Mickey Thompsons, for example). I have not driven the Nittos yet, but the Toyos have a distinct monster truck whine at 45-50 mph and above, and one has to be very careful with them in the rain, is has fewer evacuation channels and only 6/32nds tread when new, although I understand wet traction is not a priority for you.

In summary, there is no tire that will deliver the max in all four categories you selected, so you need to decide where you're willing to compromise. I'd probably try to find ZL1 owners in your vicinity who have one or another of these tire choices and ask them to drive you around in their Camaro to at least get a feel for the ride quality and noise, maybe even dry traction. Other than that, the only route I see is trying them yourself, which may be expensive, but nobody on the internet can tell you what the perfect tradeoff for your personal taste and satisfaction is.
This sums up most tire choices really well. It needs to be a sticky at the top.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:38 PM   #7
Fenmore

Has anyone tried the Nitto NT555 G2? They seem to have a similar rating to the Conti ECS 2 and a little less expensive.
Not the same animal, but I went from Goodyear to Nitto on my truck and the Nitto are superior to me on that platform.
I do understand I will not get everything, that is why I listed them in terms of importance. The Toyo's and the Nitto 555 R2 I have ruled out. I want something a little more rounded.
I'm basically considering all the ones listed above plus the Cup 2 Michelins and the Nitto NT555 G2.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:18 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would suggest the GY Super car 3s that came on the car but depends on where you are and if you will drive it in the colder conditions you have to be more careful than in the warmer conditions in the country. The Michelins and Continentals are good choices in tires for your ZL1. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2024, 06:15 PM   #9
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I would suggest the GY Super car 3s that came on the car but depends on where you are and if you will drive it in the colder conditions you have to be more careful than in the warmer conditions in the country. The Michelins and Continentals are good choices in tires for your ZL1. Good luck!
This. . I will say another vote for the GYSC3's that come on it. I'm biased of course so I will continue to put the GY's on mine. I don't drive in cold/wet conditions ever so the only input I have is me driving my car when it's warm and the GYSC3's grip EXCELLENT for me during the times i drive.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:43 PM   #10
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (or 5) all weather all season street tire, above 40F no ice or snow, good on road course, bad at strip

Quote:
2. Lower road noise
3. Comfort
4. Wear
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.

Last edited by JSH; 02-13-2024 at 08:34 AM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:58 PM   #11
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post

Michelin PS4S
Conti ECS 02
GY SC3

I'll recommend P Zero. I had them on my car for well over 30k and have zero grips on them. I've driven them in the rain and on the track.

Of course the PS4S are the tires to go with but I would give the P Zero (Z4 version) a try. They do very well and hold their own to the PS4S.

But if you're only interested in straight line stuff. The R888R or Nitto 555R2 are the tires to look at.

Last edited by Vigilante375; 02-12-2024 at 09:28 PM.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:19 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Nitto NT555 G2? They seem to have a similar rating to the Conti ECS 2 and a little less expensive.
Not the same animal, but I went from Goodyear to Nitto on my truck and the Nitto are superior to me on that platform.
I do understand I will not get everything, that is why I listed them in terms of importance. The Toyo's and the Nitto 555 R2 I have ruled out. I want something a little more rounded.
I'm basically considering all the ones listed above plus the Cup 2 Michelins and the Nitto NT555 G2.
Michelin Cup 2s are expensive racing tires that you also need to build heat into before you can get to their maximum performance, which, again, is hardly ideal for the street. They will also pick up every rock (like the Goodyear SC3Rs on the ZL1 1LE) and throw it at the side skirts and the rocker panel.

The Nitto 555 G2 isn't even in the same ballpark with the PS4S or the (new) Conti ECS 02, I have not seen positive reviews about it from high performance car owners who push their cars. Even Golf GTI and Ecoboost Mustang owners indicate that it doesn't have enough dry grip, now think about how much torque your supercharged Camaro puts down.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 02-12-2024 at 09:53 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:49 PM   #13
Fenmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Michelin Cup 2s are expensive racing tires that you also need to build heat into before you can to their maximum performance, which, again, is hardly ideal for the street. They will also pick up every rock (like the Goodyear SC3Rs on the ZL1 1LE) and throw it at the side skirts and the rocker panel.

The Nitto 555 G2 isn't even in the same ballpark with the PS4S or the (new) Conti ECS 02, I have not seen positive reviews about it from high performance car owners who push their cars. Even Golf GTI and Ecoboost Mustang owners indicate that it doesn't have enough dry grip, now think about how much torque your supercharged Camaro puts down.
Good info 👍
I’m leaning towards the conti ECS 02 at the moment.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:31 AM   #14
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Good info 👍
I’m leaning towards the conti ECS 02 at the moment.
That is my same thinking as well.