Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Camaro_49

Drives: Camaro
Center console won’t come up

I have a 2016 2ss and am trying to remove my center console to get to the 12v cigarette tap and am having trouble removing the center console. I’ve removed the 6 screws and am trying to lift the console. My console is getting caught in something when I try to lift it up. I am 100% sure my console is clearing the seat cushions in the back but it’s getting caught on something hard like a hook or something. When I stick my hands under the console in the back while sitting in the rear seats, I pull straight up and my console comes up maybe 1/2 cm before coming to a dead stop. No matter how hard I pull up (to the point the plastic part in the back is bedding considerably, there is something that is stoping the console from lifting up. From what I can tell, the point it is getting caught in is somewhere right in front of the charging area near the hinges of the console box lid. It feels plastic since when I put up, it makes a hard “clunk” sound that it is getting caught on.
Maybe I’m missing a step but from what I’ve read, it should come up pretty easily as long as it’s not caught on the seat cushions. Anyone know anything i might be missing? Thanks in advance!
Camaro_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
I was going to say there isnt anything else but now that Im thinking there is a clip or something that when pulling strait up comes free. Im not positive but I believe there is. I had my pry tools wedged between the seat and console so that the console can slide up easy and I opened the console door and used it like a grab handle to pull strait up pretty hard but didnt have to jerk it.
I was able to get it 6-8 inches above the rear seat before a wire harness got tight. I didnt need to pull the console all the way out because I was working on the dash.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Camaro_49

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
I was going to say there isnt anything else but now that Im thinking there is a clip or something that when pulling strait up comes free. Im not positive but I believe there is. I had my pry tools wedged between the seat and console so that the console can slide up easy and I opened the console door and used it like a grab handle to pull strait up pretty hard but didnt have to jerk it.
I was able to get it 6-8 inches above the rear seat before a wire harness got tight. I didnt need to pull the console all the way out because I was working on the dash.
Alright, thanks I’ll try grabbing by then console door, I’ve been putting my hands under the console in the bank and pulling up so hard my fingers are burning and still have imprints lol...I’ll update if it works! Thanks!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Camaro_49

Update....still did not work, I’ve tried lifting up very hard and doing jerking motions upward and I’m definitely getting caught on something in the door hinge area....ugh really wanted to tap from the cigarette port. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be. Anyone know where else I can get switched 12v power from other than the BCM?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Did you remove the trim around the shift knob boot and remove the shift knob?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
Camaro_49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Did you remove the trim around the shift knob boot and remove the shift knob?
No I did not, I don’t think it’s necessary for what I’m trying to accomplish. I just need to get the console lifted high enough to tap the cigarette wire. I don’t think this guy did
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=17
I’m encountering the issue of something blocking the console from lifting more than like half a cm when I start to lift from the back. After further trial and tugging, I’m pretty sure the issue is coming from right in front of the charging pad area and under/near the console door cover hinge area.
I’ll give it another go tomorrow morning and i might try removing the shifter trim if I’m still stuck.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_49 View Post
No I did not, I don’t think it’s necessary for what I’m trying to accomplish. I just need to get the console lifted high enough to tap the cigarette wire. I don’t think this guy did
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=17
I’m encountering the issue of something blocking the console from lifting more than like half a cm when I start to lift from the back. After further trial and tugging, I’m pretty sure the issue is coming from right in front of the charging pad area and under/near the console door cover hinge area.
I’ll give it another go tomorrow morning and i might try removing the shifter trim if I’m still stuck.

Looking at my pictures I did take one showing under the console. Cant see any clips or anything that would be holding you down. you do have the bolts all the way out and separated right? (I know stupid question but just checking)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z4M...ew?usp=sharing
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 PM   #8
Camaro_49

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Looking at my pictures I did take one showing under the console. Cant see any clips or anything that would be holding you down. you do have the bolts all the way out and separated right? (I know stupid question but just checking)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z4M...ew?usp=sharing
Yeah looking at the picture, I don’t see anything either which is even stranger...maybe that light green thingy at the very top of the picture? And yes, I have all 6 bolts all the way out and in a plastic cup haha. I’ll try to get better leaverage tomorrow and just brute force it tomorrow morning. Hopefully I don’t break anything. You guys are just pulling straight up and not at an angle right?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Not sure if this is any help, as it's in reverse order...?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I know this is absolutely no help, but I had a hell of a time getting my console off also. It's been a year of so and I don't remember the details, only that it lifted right off once I finally located and removed all of the attachment hardware.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
Camaro_49

How much force are you guys applying when pulling up? Like tons of force or does the console just gently swing up?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Mine comes right up. Had it out several times. Make sure the lip is over the bench pad in the back and slide it backwards a little first. Swings up from back and then slide back to remove
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
Camaro_49

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
Mine comes right up. Had it out several times. Make sure the lip is over the bench pad in the back and slide it backwards a little first. Swings up from back and then slide back to remove
That just makes my situation even more strange and frustrating, I’ve removed all 6 screws and the console is getting stuck on something. This would happen to me :(
Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
If you're REALLY curious, head on down to Harbor Freight and pick up a fiber optic camera for $75 and see whats happening inside.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...era-61839.html
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote