Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #71
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
I keep seeing people say insurance is so high on a V8. I have a V8 and I only pay $80 a month
You V8 guys keep forgetting the price of the car too. Option for option, the V8 is a lot more money than the I4 or the V6.

No matter what the V8 dreamers here like to think, the V8 will always cost more over the lifetime of the vehicle. So, you have a higher initial purchase price (option for option), higher insurance costs and higher fuel and operating costs.

It's more expensive no matter how you want to look at it. For some of us, we either can't afford the increased cost or we just don't want to. The I4 and V6 offer good performance for their price point. When it comes to mods though, the turbo 4 may be the best choice of all.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #72
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
So, I'd like some serious opinions here.

I currently have my 1LT 2.0 on a lease for 3 years (until Oct 2019) and my plan was to buy it outright as soon as the lease was up. I leased because I had just gotten a new job, got lowballed salary wise, and wanted a Camaro. Recently, I have been having TM issues that has really thrown my love of driving this car out the window. I have been doing some thinking and I think I may want to stop modifying, give it back in 2019 and actually buy/finance a 1LE. I don't care about gas mileage. I mean I know you'll all likely say, it is your decision, do what you want, but I still value all of your opinions.

I would probably go for a used 2017-2018. The prices I have seen for used already for 2016 SS are around 35-40K. MSRP on my car was 29. It seems like a no brainer for that little money and I am already making double what I was when I first took this job in March of 2016. I already have 16k miles on my car with a 10k/year lease agreement that runs from Oct-Oct (whoops). So I would likely have to shell out a grand or two if I continue on this path, BUT, I can always park it and drive my durango to keep miles off if this is something I know I want to do.

1LE owners and SS owners... Are there any arguments or reasons you have why I should not get the V8/1LE and make the switch?

4 Bangers... Aside from gas mileage. Is there a reason I should stay with the 4?

What I have already done to the car...
Ceramic Coating - $500
Intake - $365 (sellable)
Strut Brace - $100 (sellable)
Catch Can System - $400 (maybe sellable)
Window Tints - $200
Headlight bulb replacements - $180 (sellable)
Rock Guards - $40 (negligible)
Spoiler - $100 (sellable)

If I stopped right now I would be in the hole for the ceramic coating, possibly the catch cans, the tints and the rock guards. Barring I can sell the other parts.

I cannot even touch 450hp with my car unless I go forged internals, turbo swap, and tune. Roughly about 2k for internals, 1.5k for turbo and 4-500 for a tune not to mention Intercooler, TB, etc....

I would like honest opinions from all of you.
First off, I just picked up a brand new 2018 1SS 1LE with PDR for $41,500 out the door.

Second, I would never drive a muscle car modern or classic without a V8. There is nothing like hearing the bark when you start it or crackle popping as you decelerate. For me 80% of the driving experience is the sound. I never drive this thing with the radio on. The V8 is my music.

That said, I would drive other performance cars that arent V8s like a Porsche for example. I've owned some nice V6 performance cars like G35s, G37s, a Crossfire SRT6 with a supercharged V6, BMW twin turbo 335, etc, but again, an American car like a Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Corvette, Charger, etc needs to have a V8. Let's face it, we don't remember classic muscle cars or hot rods for 4 and 6 bangers...
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #73
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
To each their own, I guess. I just don’t understand buying anything less than the V8 unless money keeps you from it. This is just my honest answer, when I see a Camaro out on the road, as soon as I notice it’s not a V8, I kind of dismiss it. That being said, thank God some people buy them, because their sales help keep the Camaro alive. 👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #74
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxRPM View Post
Alright lets stop BSing here....If you can afford the V8 then naturally you'll want to get the V8. Otherwise it would be like finding a treasure chest but only taking 60 percent.........BS? Right...
This 👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #75
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
First off, I just picked up a brand new 2018 1SS 1LE with PDR for $41,500 out the door.

Second, I would never drive a muscle car modern or classic without a V8. There is nothing like hearing the bark when you start it or crackle popping as you decelerate. For me 80% of the driving experience is the sound. I never drive this thing with the radio on. The V8 is my music.

That said, I would drive other performance cars that arent V8s like a Porsche for example. I've owned some nice V6 performance cars like G35s, G37s, a Crossfire SRT6 with a supercharged V6, BMW twin turbo 335, etc, but again, an American car like a Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Corvette, Charger, etc needs to have a V8. Let's face it, we don't remember classic muscle cars or hot rods for 4 and 6 bangers...
I'll take my exhaust crackle from the V6 with NPP and be able to hear that popping at temperatures below 40 degrees while laughing all the way to the bank year after year! I will agree tho that the one car of the many I've owned over the years that I miss the most is my 2005 SRT6 roadster convertible with the supercharged AMG six... a truly unique and rare classic!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #76
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
At least my 2SS is paid off!
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #77
Cgocifer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
I'll take my exhaust crackle from the V6 with NPP and be able to hear that popping at temperatures below 40 degrees while laughing all the way to the bank year after year! I will agree tho that the one car of the many I've owned over the years that I miss the most is my 2005 SRT6 roadster convertible with the supercharged AMG six... a truly unique and rare classic!
Why can't you drive a V8 below 40 degrees? Lol if you're referring to the 1LE tires, just swap the tires out. I personally don't drive my toys in the winter anyway.

As for the SRT6, it was one of the fastest most underrated cars I've ever owned. It was a fantastic car and I wish I had kept it.

Ok, time to go listen to the V8 thunder emanating from my Camaro's exhaust set to race mode!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #78
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6

Join the dark side.

Last edited by soloknight6; 11-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #79
Chazzz

[QUOTE=Cgocifer;9969033]Why can't you drive a V8 below 40 degrees? Lol if you're referring to the 1LE tires, just swap the tires out. I personally don't drive my toys in the winter anyway.

As for the SRT6, it was one of the fastest most underrated cars I've ever owned. It was a fantastic car and I wish I had kept it.

Ok, time to go listen to the V8 thunder emanating from my Camaro's exhaust set to race mode!

Exactly my point. The high priced fast wearing staggered summer only performance tires found on the SS don't make for a very good daily driver. Now if you live in a cold climate and can afford to use your car only as a toy in the summer months or if you can afford to have two sets of wheels and tires depending on the season, in addition to needing to replace the summer rubber every 8 to 10K miles... by all means go for it. All I was saying is for me I'd rather take the V6 with NPP and money in the bank!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #80
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Yeah, but a lot of them bought the Powerthrift inline 6's. The modern V6 in the current Camaro is not some slow choked up economy car engine from the smog era. It a high tech, high reving, high performance, high value powerplant. 335 hp out of 217 cid is more impressive than 455 hp out of 6.2L.

A simple cam swap on that little V6 with a tune and a TB upgrade running E85 will have it running with your "V8". So, don't get too cocky.

The only reason why you are as fast as you are is due to the 8sp auto. When the Ecoboost 10sp comes out, it will run 0-60 in less than in 5 secs. Not bad for a little 2.3L 4cyl.

If GM ever puts the 10sp auto behind the LGX, it too will click off sub 5 sec 0-60's placing it much closer to the performance of your V8. Not bad for another car just to go to work in.
Are you seriously trying to compare modded vs stock? And you realize the SS will also be faster with a 10sp, right? Yes, DOHC is a more efficient design, which is how Ford can get 465 horsepower out of a 5.0L. Which reminds me, the 3.6L V6 is DOHC, so that simple cam swap isn't that simple nor cheap. Push rod V8? Yea, that's a simple cam swap. I do like the 2.0T and I think it should be the only other engine choice other than a V8 honestly. Until Chevy switches to a twin turbo V6 or electric anyway.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #81
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:

Exactly my point. The high priced fast wearing staggered summer only performance tires found on the SS don't make for a very good daily driver. Now if you live in a cold climate and can afford to use your car only as a toy in the summer months or if you can afford to have two sets of wheels and tires depending on the season, in addition to needing to replace the summer rubber every 8 to 10K miles... by all means go for it. All I was saying is for me I'd rather take the V6 with NPP and money in the bank!
Every 10K miles? More like 20-25K. And it is possible to put all season performance tires on. Sounds like you're just trying to find excuses to justify the V6. I'm not buying it though.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #82
Chazzz

That's the same 3.6 V6 that Wards magazine picked as one of the 10 best engines and some of their editors that picked it as one of the 10 best actually liked it better than the V8 in the Camaro, while others had to open the hood to make sure it wasn't the V8 they were testing. And the majority of threads I've read on the subject show an average of 8 to 10K on the staggered summer tires before replacement. As for all season tires apparently, from forum members who attempted it there are none made in the standard larger rear tire size. These are all reasons why I set my emotions aside and went with the more logical V6 NPP. Not saying it's for everyone but for me.

Last edited by Chazzz; 11-08-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #83
Cgocifer

Quote:
That's the same 3.6 V6 that Wards magazine picked as one of the 10 best engines and some of their editors that picked it as one of the 10 best actually liked it better than the V8 in the Camaro, while others had to open the hood to make sure it wasn't the V8 they were testing. And the majority of threads I've read on the subject show an average of 8 to 10K on the staggered summer tires before replacement. As for all season tires apparently, from forum members who attempted it there are none made in the standard larger rear tire size. These are all reasons why I set my emotions aside and went with the more logical V6 NPP. Not saying it's for everyone but for me.
Why do you keep bragging about NPP...? Lol that's just a stock two mode exhaust. Lol who cares, it still sounds like a V6 fart...

If anyone chooses the V6, don't waste the money on the exhaust unless you want to sound like a tuner car with a fart can.

On the V8 however, pure magic for your soul!

Hey OP, if you can afford it, go with the V8. You'll never have to make excuses and you'll never have to say to yourself, "Man, I shoulda had a V8 "
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #84
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
To the Original Poster:

Go test drive a V8 and try not to let the "new hotness" factor get in the way of what is reasonable to you.

The reality of the situation is that at the end of the day, the luster fades and you're left with a bigger car payment to go along with the increase in power you're theoretically capable of using. If you're not going to track the car then I would say a V6 that is engaging is just as fun to drive as a V8. Im sure you've heard the old adage, its fun to drive a slow car fast? That very much rings true. One of the most fun cars ive driven in recent years was the Ford Fiesta ST which oddly enough, I ended up selling to buy my 1LE because I wanted more power for the TRACK and an N/A V8 fit the bill.

For every day use, the Fiesta kicks the shit out of the Camaro. Better gas mileage, very engaging to drive, cheap tires, cheap maintenance, slow as balls but still quick for a little 2700 pound car.

People that talk a huge game about buying a V8 to bury their foot into it every time they're behind the wheel are doing just that, talking a huge game. At some point, you're going to get hit with a speeding ticket for being a moron on public roads. Or worse, you're going to end up hurting yourself or god forbid, someone else. Leave the street racing stupidity to the 21 year old troglodytes and go fast on the track.

Or, stick with your four banger and save the the money for other things you might want out of life.

Conversely, if a V8 tickles your pickle, shit, its your money, do what you will with it. Only you can decide and no real manner of discussion here can conclusively sway you.

Please let us know what you decide!
Well said bro. As a guy that's only had V8s I have to say I'm loving having the V6. It's very quick very fun to drive sounds awesome with the Dual mode and is a great commuter.

Don't get me wrong I love my 2002 with the LS1 but that thing would suck gas like it was candy.

And I still have to feed the 5.3 in my Sierra which isn't cheap these days either.

Get whatever you like enjoy it but the V8 definitely isn't the only way to go this gen they're all fast
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote