Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #43
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #44
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyCode View Post
V8 is an experience every time you drive it. V6 is just another car to go to work in. No ones grandpa bought a 1969 V6 Camaro lol.
Yeah, but a lot of them bought the Powerthrift inline 6's. The modern V6 in the current Camaro is not some slow choked up economy car engine from the smog era. It a high tech, high reving, high performance, high value powerplant. 335 hp out of 217 cid is more impressive than 455 hp out of 6.2L.

A simple cam swap on that little V6 with a tune and a TB upgrade running E85 will have it running with your "V8". So, don't get too cocky.

The only reason why you are as fast as you are is due to the 8sp auto. When the Ecoboost 10sp comes out, it will run 0-60 in less than in 5 secs. Not bad for a little 2.3L 4cyl.

If GM ever puts the 10sp auto behind the LGX, it too will click off sub 5 sec 0-60's placing it much closer to the performance of your V8. Not bad for another car just to go to work in.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #45
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
An old rule of thought is ...when in doubt..just get a V8.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #46
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Yeah, but a lot of them bought the Powerthrift inline 6's. The modern V6 in the current Camaro is not some slow choked up economy car engine from the smog era. It a high tech, high reving, high performance, high value powerplant. 335 hp out of 217 cid is more impressive than 455 hp out of 6.2L.

A simple cam swap on that little V6 with a tune and a TB upgrade running E85 will have it running with your "V8". So, don't get too cocky.

The only reason why you are as fast as you are is due to the 8sp auto. When the Ecoboost 10sp comes out, it will run 0-60 in less than in 5 secs. Not bad for a little 2.3L 4cyl.

If GM ever puts the 10sp auto behind the LGX, it too will click off sub 5 sec 0-60's placing it much closer to the performance of your V8. Not bad for another car just to go to work in.
True...its a shame they don't have the same deep bold no nonsense sound.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #47
Magsz

Drives: 17 1SS 1LE
To the Original Poster:

Go test drive a V8 and try not to let the "new hotness" factor get in the way of what is reasonable to you.

The reality of the situation is that at the end of the day, the luster fades and you're left with a bigger car payment to go along with the increase in power you're theoretically capable of using. If you're not going to track the car then I would say a V6 that is engaging is just as fun to drive as a V8. Im sure you've heard the old adage, its fun to drive a slow car fast? That very much rings true. One of the most fun cars ive driven in recent years was the Ford Fiesta ST which oddly enough, I ended up selling to buy my 1LE because I wanted more power for the TRACK and an N/A V8 fit the bill.

For every day use, the Fiesta kicks the shit out of the Camaro. Better gas mileage, very engaging to drive, cheap tires, cheap maintenance, slow as balls but still quick for a little 2700 pound car.

People that talk a huge game about buying a V8 to bury their foot into it every time they're behind the wheel are doing just that, talking a huge game. At some point, you're going to get hit with a speeding ticket for being a moron on public roads. Or worse, you're going to end up hurting yourself or god forbid, someone else. Leave the street racing stupidity to the 21 year old troglodytes and go fast on the track.

Or, stick with your four banger and save the the money for other things you might want out of life.

Conversely, if a V8 tickles your pickle, shit, its your money, do what you will with it. Only you can decide and no real manner of discussion here can conclusively sway you.

Please let us know what you decide!
Magsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #48
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
To me it's bang for the buck and what you can afford. if money were no object and I could afford the SS and the premium gas I would have one- I'd have a ZL1 for that matter or I might opt for a C7 Corvette. When on a budget- saving for a house, having a family or in my case retirement I opted for a lesser engine and 87 octane gas. 16-19 MPG and premium fuel are not good for being on a budget- I had a 2011 SS and drove it baby footed to get 19 MPG. My previous car to that was a 2016 MX5- which was a blast to drive and awesome bang for the buck -yielded me close to 40 MPG but I wanted a little bigger car so I went with the Camaro V6- main reason regular gas to keep my weekly expenses down and have a car I can drive in retirement or when I start my own business.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #49
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
V8 for me........ Your choice.......Your car........
Attached Images

Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #50
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Nothing wrong with the 6 or turbo imo but for me it's the V8 or nothin.
You cant beat the sound, power potential and presence of the SS.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #51
lpe403

Drives: None
V8 - before they are dead

FYI - https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBEH04S?m=en-us
lpe403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #52
River

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
To the Original Poster:

Go test drive a V8 and try not to let the "new hotness" factor get in the way of what is reasonable to you.

The reality of the situation is that at the end of the day, the luster fades and you're left with a bigger car payment to go along with the increase in power you're theoretically capable of using. If you're not going to track the car then I would say a V6 that is engaging is just as fun to drive as a V8. Im sure you've heard the old adage, its fun to drive a slow car fast? That very much rings true. One of the most fun cars ive driven in recent years was the Ford Fiesta ST which oddly enough, I ended up selling to buy my 1LE because I wanted more power for the TRACK and an N/A V8 fit the bill.

For every day use, the Fiesta kicks the shit out of the Camaro. Better gas mileage, very engaging to drive, cheap tires, cheap maintenance, slow as balls but still quick for a little 2700 pound car.

People that talk a huge game about buying a V8 to bury their foot into it every time they're behind the wheel are doing just that, talking a huge game. At some point, you're going to get hit with a speeding ticket for being a moron on public roads. Or worse, you're going to end up hurting yourself or god forbid, someone else. Leave the street racing stupidity to the 21 year old troglodytes and go fast on the track.

Or, stick with your four banger and save the the money for other things you might want out of life.

Conversely, if a V8 tickles your pickle, shit, its your money, do what you will with it. Only you can decide and no real manner of discussion here can conclusively sway you.

Please let us know what you decide!
Well said.

I drove a V8 several times, right after the V6. V6 felt more nimble. It's lighter and handles better because of that. It's very responsive. Most of us dont race our cars so what's the point of having more power than you need?

I do like the wider rear wheels on the SS though, and I am adding those.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #53
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I owned a 13 SS Camaro - loved it
Then bought a C7 w/ LT1 - loved it.

But that was enuf V8 for me , liked the V6 hood to mount my “like” in vents, and Hated the SS Wing, so I bought the loaded V6 RS, could not be happier, got over having to have the biggest and baddest motor, but do need bigger wheel bad ass look:

And I Think some overlook the V6, it is strong at 300+ hp, plenty fast for me.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #54
River

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

But that was enuf V8 for me , liked the V6 hood to mount my “like” in vents, and Hated the SS Wing, so I bought the loaded V6 RS, could not be happier, got over having to have the biggest and baddest motor, but do need bigger wheel bad ass look:

Do you have a better picture of those vents?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #55
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Get a V8 SS or SS 1LE!! You have a 4 cylinder now so you might has well move up to the V8. And I would get a 6 speed manual too! The manuals are a blast to drive!
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #56
Magsz

Drives: 17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

See...

I think alot of people forget just how much power 325 hp is. Granted, the camaro isnt exactly a light weight car but its got a decent engine pushing it around.

The V8 sounds amazing, its fun, its crazy fast but at the end of the day, its faster than anyone needs on the street so what this really boils down to is nothing quantifiable everything subjective.

IF you want the rumble, sound and power of a V8 then simply do it. You cannot rationalize whether or not its going to be right for you if the cost isnt an issue.

Conversely, if cost is an issue then the V6 or 4 cylinder option is obviously the better choice.

As I said, if the cost isnt factored into this then its entirely about how the car makes YOU FEEL and anything we say cant really help ya bud.
Magsz is offline   Reply With Quote