Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2024, 06:40 PM   #15
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenmore View Post
Good info ��
I’m leaning towards the conti ECS 02 at the moment.
After you go through them, try the GY. See if the reason was for GM to save money. There’s a reason why they put these tires on from factory and it is to allow this tank to corner and perform like a go cart.
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:55 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
After you go through them, try the GY. See if the reason was for GM to save money. There’s a reason why they put these tires on from factory and it is to allow this tank to corner and perform like a go cart.
You're not wrong, but he said he was looking for straight line performance on the street. The Supercar3s are magic on the track, but who would risk 1.2-1.3g turns on dirty, messed up roads with tons of clueless drivers all around?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:12 PM   #17
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
You're not wrong, but he said he was looking for straight line performance on the street. The Supercar3s are magic on the track, but who would risk 1.2-1.3g turns on dirty, messed up roads with tons of clueless drivers all around?
I am blessed to have a private road to our concrete plant and have the opportunity to do multiple pulls on a very good pavement surface, the hook up by the third pull is stellar. I guess that’s why I advocate GY. But I also equate three passes to the average drive time to warm them up for full performance from the tires. tire temp awareness is a factor.
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:47 PM   #18
Nallek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I, too, will drop my question in the bucket. I'm from the south-east area of the US (Charleston) where we see more rainfall than Seattle, and it can be a torrential downpour at times. While dry traction is great, I'd also like safe wet traction as well. Are the ECS 02's about the best bang for the buck in this area?

All this considering I'll be having to replace my rear stockies before long.
Nallek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:35 AM   #19
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The Nitto 555 G2 isn't even in the same ballpark with the PS4S or the (new) Conti ECS 02, I have not seen positive reviews about it from high performance car owners who push their cars. Even Golf GTI and Ecoboost Mustang owners indicate that it doesn't have enough dry grip, now think about how much torque your supercharged Camaro puts down.
But aside from that, you also get incredibly shitty quality. What a deal! I seriously don't understand why these tires still sell. If they were half the price, maybe. But they aren't much cheaper than Contis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallek
I'm from the south-east area of the US (Charleston) where we see more rainfall than Seattle, and it can be a torrential downpour at times. While dry traction is great, I'd also like safe wet traction as well. Are the ECS 02's about the best bang for the buck in this area?
Yes, these and the Michelin PS4S are the two best wet-surface street tires available. They have more grip on a wet road than their all-weather counterparts, although the all-weathers probably resist hydroplaning a bit better at full tread. But the ECS and PS4S are exceptional "three-season" tires: the only thing they aren't good at is true winter weather, meaning ice and snow (but for just a cold day in the 20s, they are fine). Compared to the SC3, they are vastly better in wet and/or cold conditions.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:03 AM   #20
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Quote:
Yes, these and the Michelin PS4S are the two best wet-surface street tires available. They have more grip on a wet road than their all-weather counterparts, although the all-weathers probably resist hydroplaning a bit better at full tread. But the ECS and PS4S are exceptional "three-season" tires: the only thing they aren't good at is true winter weather, meaning ice and snow (but for just a cold day in the 20s, they are fine). Compared to the SC3, they are vastly better in wet and/or cold conditions.
This is great summary of general consensus on the ECS & PS4S so its really all you need to answer your question.
However, just note for any additional info that our sponsor https://www.tirerack.com/
has very good tire ratings, customer reviews, and comparison tire tests.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:37 AM   #21
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallek View Post
I, too, will drop my question in the bucket. I'm from the south-east area of the US (Charleston) where we see more rainfall than Seattle, and it can be a torrential downpour at times. While dry traction is great, I'd also like safe wet traction as well. Are the ECS 02's about the best bang for the buck in this area?

All this considering I'll be having to replace my rear stockies before long.
Also from Charleston and forced to replace my rear stock tires for the first time due a bolt being stuck in one. Thanks for already asking what I was looking for.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:25 AM   #22
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
When I considered the PS4S and the ECS 02, I went back to the SC3. I know I like that tire after several sets between the 1LE and ZL1, it does everything I need from it. I had run the ECS and didn't like it on the 1LE, the car had a push on the front, tire had to roll over for a second before it bite, I just hated teh sidewall. So I stuck with what I knew that I liked which was the SC3. Really helped the that total cost was hundreds less than the other two.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote