Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
The Camaro is a NICE car. Whatever it is, it is nice. Debate stops here!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The Camaro out muscles most muscle cars, out sports most sports cars, out cruises most GT cars, out ponies all the other pony cars.

Prove me wrong.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgsouthwest2001 View Post
The Camaro is a sports car. The only modern day car that fits the muscle car genre 100% is the Challenger. Some would say the Charger also, but others would disqualify it due to its having 4 doors.

I have to agree the Camaro is a sports car and feels that way, looks that way. Nothing wrong with that but no way i feel it can be called a muscle car based on the exterior looks alone. Just like the Challenger i cant call a sports car....
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #18
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Everyone seems to have a definition of a 'sports car'. And the definitions vary a lot, so i don't use it. But since we're having this discussion i'll share what i wish the term meant. A sport car is a car that's fun and capable to do motorsports in like trackday, autocross.. etc. With that definition, any car can be made a sports car with some work.
But just talking about what you can buy off the showroom floor, a sports car won't over heat on track, it won't wear through outside tire edges in a few sessions because you can adjust camber. The brakes won't over heat. You can take to event after event, and it won't break down. The manufacturer will stand by it's product if it does break down. It's designed to handle at the limit in a predictable way. So, yeah i think the camaro is a sport car.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #19
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I say it’s both. It’s modern and does everything great.

Well put Gunkk
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #20
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
There is no such thing as a "muscle car" today... especially in regards to the current C6 Camaro... it is not the 1960's... it is 2019. The Camaro have far evolved away from the "muscle car moniker" of old. Just drive one. It's corners handles, and drives along with the best of any luxury coupe. Alpha platform.

The lines have blurred... I almost never hear anyone use the term "muscle car" anymore. Even from the people that love and collect them.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #21
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
It’s a do-it-all performance car. Can happily even take passengers as long as they have no legs.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #22
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Yes the lines have blurred. A decade ago roughly, there was a friend at work called "muscle car Dave". Then there was a muscle car Jason. Then a muscle car Jerry. Muscle car Joe... There's a second Dave, but I guess he'd have to be "sports car Dave"... Maybe not? There'a guy with a Mustang that's called Hemi... Then there's a few guys that play around with the diesel trucks...
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #23
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Let the experts speak
Quote:
Comparison: 2015 BMW M4 vs 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS
“The Alpha chassis is worth its weight in aluminum. It's properly stiff and sporty; we've yet to find an Alpha car that didn't handle at or near the top of its class.”
“It has transcended its genre. It now can compete with the best from Europe.
Quote:
2016 Camaro Motor Trend Car of the Year
"World-class sports car performance and dynamics,"
Quote:
C&D 2016 10Best Cars: Chevrolet Camaro
A Corvette with a back seat.
Quote:
C&D 2017 10Best Cars: Chevrolet Camaro
“its steering is nicely weighted and accurate to a degree that those unfamiliar with the newest Camaro would simply not believe”
Quote:
C&D 2018 10Best Cars: Chevrolet Camaro
“About that chassis. It’s one of the best in the world, with the kind of preternaturally intuitive steering, faultless brakes, and overall balance you’d expect from a Porsche.”
Quote:
H2H 2018 Camaro 1LE vs Performance Pack 1
"The Camaro SS 1LE isn't just a muscle car; it's a world-class sports car."
Quote:
H2H 2018 Camaro 1LE vs Performance Pack 2
“Chevy has done the near impossible, transcended the genre, and turned a once provincial pony car into an honest to goodness world-class sports car.”

“To put it bluntly, the Camaro is in another league, with legitimate supercars.”

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 04-27-2019 at 09:38 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post
What is the modern Camaro considered?

What IS the difference between a sports car and a muscle car?

Its what its always been, a Pony Car or Sports Coupe. A Sports car is a small 2 seater. A Musclecar was an intermediate size car with a performance V8 with loads of low end torque. A modern Camaro still has loads of Torque thus some still use the term muscle car. I call it a Modern pony car sports coupe that just happens to have low down muscle and high top end speed.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #25
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Yes...by todays standards its a Muscle car. Back in the day there were so many selection of cool cars. Today I put vehicles into 3 classes....Muscle cars, Pods and SUVs. The Camaro, Challenger, Chargers and Mustang V8s fall into the Modern Muscle car category.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #26
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It's a muscle sports car.....
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
Yes...by todays standards its a Muscle car. Back in the day there were so many selection of cool cars. Today I put vehicles into 3 classes....Muscle cars, Pods and SUVs. The Camaro, Challenger, Chargers and Mustang V8s fall into the Modern Muscle car category.
Probably the biggest reason people try to call Camaros (and Mustangs and Challengers) muscle cars is because virtually all of the traditional muscle-car sedans have disappeared. Among U.S. domestic makes, only Charger remains.

It still feels wrong to me for a car like the Camaro to inherit a different segment name just because that other segment has essentially died off.

Once the segment is gone, its descriptive name ought to be retired or at least "furloughed" in case the segment ever revives.

Norm
Old 04-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
So to stir the pot, not all Camaros are Muscle Cars as the L4 and V6 surely can't qualify as Muscle. With a 1LE package both could still be considered Sports Cars by the definitions in this thread.

Further, is the ATS-V coupe a Sports Car or Muscle Car? Two doors, same chassis, massive brakes, about the same HP and Torque as a Camaro SS. If not, then does that make the Camaro a Muscle Car or Sports car because of...……………...styling? Or is a V8 required to be a Muscle Car like 2 seats are required for a Sports Car regardless of HP?

And then there is the marketing aspect as GM has called the Camaro both using it to suit their needs. Even in the Chevrolet website they refer to "Modernized Muscle"