Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
TBH I know this might be cheesy but I was thinking about adding these look alike Brembo covers on the back to compliment my front brembos. Painting the rear stock brakes would not look too good. Only problem I have is won't these covers melt off or ruin the brakes? But we don't even use our rear brakes to brake because the rear are just parking brakes. Could use some opinion on these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Granted they are only covers, I would just Paint the caliper and call it a day.

I always try to look at things car wise from a function standpoint, first and as long as a mod doesn't have a drawback, usually ok with it. I've see the nut that attaches these loosen and this slide off while driving and get MANGLED between the caliper and spokes.

It's an appearance mod, so do it if that's your hearts content, by all means.

But if you've ever seen a wilwood or brembo 6-8 piston calipers, when you see these in person, very cheap looking. We get em all the time on cars traded in at work.

I'd put that money towards something more legit and functional ...or of quality

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsblueblood View Post
Alpha I agree most of youre,stopping power is from you're front breaks but you're rear breaks do help out I think it's like 20% can't remember. The research I did on the break covers is that they hold the heat in and could warp the rotor, now but I also read that this is not so. If I'm not mistaken that the v6 1le has the SS rear suspension in it so if this is true I know where two wreaked SS are maybe I'll check into them.
The only thing is, if the suspension for a 1LE is same as SS, your still running into a wiring issue to even transfer the entire rear section. Because of the difference in the EPB setup between the 2, the wiring(is different) & possibly the computer programming are different as they connect into other systems. That is where i'm currently stuck myself till i can get a hold of the wiring diagram between the 2 to trace and try to see how to bypass or integrate.
Cause i currently have the complete rear braking system/EPB/knuckles from an SS.
I can put it all into the car and have the SS brembo rear brakes, but right now can not connect the electronics of it to the LT/RS and unsure what the car will do if it can't detect and operate the EPB.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #17
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
I wish you were local so that we could get together one weekend and find out what we actually need... I could fabricate brackets needed at work.
Do you have any info on what the electrical connection is like? We could possibly have Gen5Diy do one if we give him the pins needed?
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
HyperBlue16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar05 View Post
I wish you were local so that we could get together one weekend and find out what we actually need... I could fabricate brackets needed at work.
Do you have any info on what the electrical connection is like? We could possibly have Gen5Diy do one if we give him the pins needed?
While the connectors look the same & technically can connect up, they have different colored wires and they each may function differently, plus the SS EPB has even more wires(9) in a 2nd connector then the LT and the LT does not have that plug in it's main harness. So that means the main car harness from the front of the car is different between the 2 models.

The brackets the LT is missing on the sub-frame for the parking brake cable mounts is spaced 11.5 inches.

But till i can see a diagram as to what the extra wires are for and where they run to on the cars, i'm stuck.
I tried to open the EPB module of the SS, i removed the bolts, but still stuck tight, maybe glued to keep sealed.

I drive truck, so this weekend i was going to look into it more.

Guess i could drill a hole in the floor and run a cable and put in a e-brake pull handle to make it manual like it should have been!!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
Camar05

let me talk to my parts guy and see if I could get some wiring diagrams
Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #20
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Anyone have a how to or DIY on removing the front Calipers and brake lines? For the RS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #21
HyperBlue16

Quote:
let me talk to my parts guy and see if I could get some wiring diagrams
The last part of my last post is becoming even more tempting, just go straight manual. Kinda looking into used small compact cars E-brake handle and see if i can find nice small one to modify and be out of the way. Then make a new cable for part of it and maybe make some kind of bypass to make the car think it still hooked up to the Caliper actuator or unhook from the caliper and mount up to the sub-frame.
Then will get no warnings and still have a fully functioning parking brake. Unless make a separate wiring harness for the electrical one if can't incorporate)

New for everything based off thatgmpartsguy would be about $1000 for the rear brake setup(knuckles, backing plates, brake shoes, hoses, calipers, rotors and Z26 BRAKE PADS) and then little more to make the new cable and find or modify a parking brake handle.
If a company could come up with a handle setup and cable direct match up with a actuator bypass, maybe make a $1200-$1500 complete rear upgrade kit? Less if they just create a wiring harness to bypass the cars wiring all together.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:16 AM   #22
Camar05

Not a horrible idea...

But Question, when the hill start assist activates, does it use the EPB or front calipers?

It shouldn't be hard to bypass the harness to make it think it's never engaged...

I wish I had a SS to my disposal to run tests and compare...
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #23
HyperBlue16

Quote:
Not a horrible idea...

But Question, when the hill start assist activates, does it use the EPB or front calipers?

It shouldn't be hard to bypass the harness to make it think it's never engaged...

I wish I had a SS to my disposal to run tests and compare...
Quote:
Brake Assist This vehicle has a brake assist feature designed to assist the driver in stopping or decreasing vehicle
speed in emergency driving conditions. This feature uses the stability system hydraulic brake control module to supplement the power brake system under conditions where the driver has quickly and forcefully applied the brake pedal in an attempt to quickly stop or slow down the vehicle. The stability system hydraulic brake control module increases brake pressure at each corner of the vehicle until the ABS activates. Minor brake pedal pulsation or pedal movement during this time is normal and the driver should continue to apply the brake pedal as the driving situation dictates. The brake assist feature will automatically disengage when the brake pedal is released or brake pedal pressure is quickly decreased.
Quote:
Hill Start Assist (HSA) If equipped, HSA may automatically activate when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during
vehicle drive off. During the transition from releasing the brake pedal to accelerating to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to prevent rolling. HSA will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse).
From the sounds of that, it's using the stability system hydraulic brake control module to hold the car, so it maintains a hydraulic pressure.
The caliper mounted EPB system needs driver input to release(as it is both hydraulic and mechanically set from the sounds of it), where as the Drum brake EPB system are like old style and just contract away from the drums to release with no brake fluid pressure needed or driver assistance.
There have been some issues with these caliper mounted EPB systems where when engaged and could not be released because it was wedged so hard that the electrical part could not back off. So never apply the brake pedal pressure when setting it, but as per the instructions, you have to apply pressure to help release it thou. So kinda makes me think the Caliper ones could not be used beyond anything other then parking brake function.

Again , just kind of guessing based off the way i think it function mechanically between the 2 and some of what it talks about in the Manuel. That is where an electrical diagram would help to understand more on whats its connected too.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #24
HyperBlue16

I tore into the SS EPB module/cable puller and it has a speed drive controller for the electric stepping motor to pull the cable and release it. What appears to be a load sensing motor controller and a electronic cable tension circuit to monitor the tension on the cable.
So those other 9 wires tie into more of the car for monitoring and possibility other reasons. Again a wiring diagram would help.
I'd like to tear into a caliper EPB to see what it has too get an idea on it. But guessing how it is primarily in/out motor because of only 2 wires, its controller is else where in the car.
That might mean then defiantly no way to connect the 2, because of the 2 completely different ways they connect to the car and how they talk to the cars computer.
But that is about as far as i know at this point.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #25
metwaru

Drives: 2016 I-4 2.0
Has anyone made any progress in this area? I already bought the rotors, calipers and pads and then learned about this issue lol
Old 02-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #26
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by metwaru View Post
Has anyone made any progress in this area? I already bought the rotors, calipers and pads and then learned about this issue lol
So far its either weld a bracket on, or swap the rear cradle. That or do the swap and go without the parking brake.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #27
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Granted they are only covers, I would just Paint the caliper and call it a day.

I always try to look at things car wise from a function standpoint, first and as long as a mod doesn't have a drawback, usually ok with it. I've see the nut that attaches these loosen and this slide off while driving and get MANGLED between the caliper and spokes.

It's an appearance mod, so do it if that's your hearts content, by all means.

But if you've ever seen a wilwood or brembo 6-8 piston calipers, when you see these in person, very cheap looking. We get em all the time on cars traded in at work.

I'd put that money towards something more legit and functional ...or of quality
Ditto on the brembo covers, I’ve seen them 18 months old and the white is starting to show plastic underneath, they just don’t last. If you’re not going to do a brake change out, the best thing to do about the rear brakes is just get rid of them -appearance wise. That involves a foam brush, and a small pint of rustoleum satin black barbecue paint. 15 minutes per wheel ....it’s the first thing I did with my car.

Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #28
metwaru

Drives: 2016 I-4 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
So far its either weld a bracket on, or swap the rear cradle. That or do the swap and go without the parking brake.
Thanks, Curious how much risk is there without a parking brake? This car is now a summer/weekend car and its always parked in either first or reverse..