Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
DrNo

Drives: 2018 Black 2 SS Convertible
Cracked windshield

This morning I discovered my windshield is cracked. I have a to SS with heads up. Does this require a special windshield?
DrNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Yes. I think the small print on the bottom of the windshield says exactly which one you need.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
I am in the process of getting a new windshield after a chip turned into a crack going to Solo Nationals. My insurance turned down my request for OEM glass. So I had a windshield made by Fuyao installed. The installer said they make most of the OEM glass here in America. But he noticed that mine was manufactured in Japan. It does have the HUD marking on the windshield on the passenger side lower corner. But the HUD is so distorted that I get a headache trying to look at it.

My insurance is now saying OK on replacing this Fuyao windshield with the OEM glass but that means another windshield removal and install in my 2018. I don't know when it will arrive.
So insist on the GM product if you can.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Safelite can fix you right up! You did need to make sure whoever replaces the windshield that it is compatible with HUD!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
RKeeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Safelite can fix you right up! You did need to make sure whoever replaces the windshield that it is compatible with HUD!

Safelite is who I called. They did a good job but the glass was defective. So check it out carefully before you accept the job.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
When it comes to the HUD on these cars, I wouldn't accept anything less than OEM glass. Also if my insurance forced me into getting glass that was subpar quality I'd make sure the OEM glass install is 100% on their dime. Hopefully you didn't pay another deductible.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I find even the quality of the OEM glass subpar compared to glass manufactured 15 years ago. everything is getting done as cheap as possible.
dpevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
RKeeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
Safelite is who I called. They did a good job but the glass was defective. So check it out carefully before you accept the job.

Safelite replaced the Fuyao windshield yesterday with the GM brand. It was easier to install according to the technician as it had little rods molded into the glass to fit into holes in the windshield frame of the car. HUD is back to normal. There was no additional deductible for me.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
Interesting. I had the same problem. My insurance company would not pay for OEM Glass unless I paid the 150 difference. So I went with aftermarket glass.I didn't think to check my heads up but sure enough it was all blurry. A week later Safelite replaced it with better glass and that fixed the problem. Nice to know Safelite sucks ass and is using cheaper glass first off.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes its expensive goodluck!