Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
caliper bolts ZL1 VS SS part numbers neded

anyone know if the ZL1 has different caliper bolts front and rear then the SS? Wonder why the online parts diagrams dont list the caliper bolts if they are one time use.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
By no means is this a parts diagram but a quick search of Rock Auto doesn’t call out different parts numbers from the SS to the ZL1.

Also there’s no call out for either trim indicating different major diameter, pitch or length differences. Nor is there a deviation from front to back.

It’s calling out an M14 x 2.0 x 63mm long bolt. If you have a pair of calipers you can check the minor diameter of the threaded hole in the caliper to see if it measures 12.0 mm. (+0/-0.15mm depending on % of thread)

Take it with a grain of salt, but my curiosity made me want to research your question.

Side note: Major Diameter - pitch = minor diameter. This works for metric or imperial threads and is to be used as a reference. Machinist handbook is more precise but this gets you in the ballpark.

(************************************************)
(Disclaimer: (lol) This is a reference and not an ANSI, ISO, JIS, etc. standard)
(************************************************)

Example—>M14 x 2 is 14mm -2 (subtract pitch) = 12mm minor diameter
1/2”- 20 is 0.500” - 0.05” (1/20=0.05” decimal equivalent to pitch) = 0.450” minor diameter (29/64 is 0.453” and is common call out)

ZL1
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ing+bolt,13055

SS
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ing+bolt,13055

Carlson H818 information
https://www.carlsonqualitybrakeparts...Flyer-2018.pdf
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“

Last edited by Trochoidal; 09-04-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
JCunningham

ya those are aftermarket for the front. im looking for factory part numbers for front and rear. i dont trust aftermarket. the old SS bolts do thread into the ZL1 calipers. but at around 130lb ft on aluminum it has to be correct.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 09-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
ya those are aftermarket for the front. im looking for factory part numbers for front and rear. i dont trust aftermarket.
Good to know for future reference. I should’ve known it was too good to be true. Also, I don’t blame you at all for the not trusting aftermarket.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 09-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
JCunningham

those are correct for the fronts 13.76mm (M14 x2.00) x 2" but rears are 11.73mm (m12 x 1.75) x 1.68"

Last edited by JCunningham; 09-04-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
JCunningham

lol the track deflector instructions say to reuse the caliper bolts at tq to 148lbft
Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
lol the track deflector instructions say to reuse the caliper bolts at tq to 148lbft
Oh man that’s crazy! At that torque and even if the bolts were made from 4140 or 4340 (28-32 HRC), I’d want something new.

Are the bolts from your stock brakes stamped with 10.8 or 12.9 on the head?

Old 09-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
JCunningham

10.8 s grade 8
Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
JCunningham

just ordered the factory bolts at my dealer. ill post the part numbers when i get them tomorrow. Ill also do a sticky on TTY bolts and there replacement numbers.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Trochoidal

Good work. Well now you’ll have exactly what you need.