Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
JBA Mid Pipes or Solo High Flow cats

Hey Guys just want some opinions. Will you get more Hp gains from solo high flow cats or JBA Mid pipes.I can always get a tune update, so thats not the problem. I see that the mid pipes are cheaper, so I'm just wondering if there are any gains from them or is it just better to do the solo high flow cats. I will get headers eventually, but not at this moment. Appreciate your responses.
dporter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Why not headers? They're cheaper
Old 03-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Hi flow cats
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
High flow cats and catless mid pipes flow nearly the same anymore and equate to about 1 rwhp in difference on a dyno. If you're going to go with headers one day, assuming you're not putting shorty headers on, why not wait and get some long tube headers and not pay extra? If cats aren't important to you, Speed Engineering headers can be had for almost $400 out the door with new exhaust clamps, O2 extensions, and new GM gaskets. If you need cats then Texas Speed has their headers with cats for around $800 out the door. In the end you'll be ahead because you would have only tuned once and gotten the parts you eventually want now.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
High flow cats and catless mid pipes flow nearly the same anymore and equate to about 1 rwhp in difference on a dyno. If you're going to go with headers one day, assuming you're not putting shorty headers on, why not wait and get some long tube headers and not pay extra? If cats aren't important to you, Speed Engineering headers can be had for almost $400 out the door with new exhaust clamps, O2 extensions, and new GM gaskets. If you need cats then Texas Speed has their headers with cats for around $800 out the door. In the end you'll be ahead because you would have only tuned once and gotten the parts you eventually want now.
TSPs can be had for around $550 catless
Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I've got JBA and have been happy with them for at least 5yrs now. You really can't go wrong with either brand as I hear good things about the Solos too. If you do go JBA (picture of them in my photo album) you will want to get better Steel gaskets as the ones they come with are subpar and you risk an exhaust leak. Learned this the hard way... but other than that they've been great and a great way to get some real power.

Note, both Solo and JBA are high flow cats.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I've got JBA and have been happy with them for at least 5yrs now. You really can't go wrong with either brand as I hear good things about the Solos too. If you do go JBA (picture of them in my photo album) you will want to get better Steel gaskets as the ones they come with are subpar and you risk an exhaust leak. Learned this the hard way... but other than that they've been great and a great way to get some real power.

Note, both Solo and JBA are high flow cats.
What about a jba cat delete/ mid pipe ? Would that give it any horse power or just make it louder ?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Ya you right bro , I think I’m just going to wait and spend the 900 for the speed engineering headers, installation, and re tune. I know it cost to play
Old 03-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Shutudwn

Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
If you want a little more power and great sound order BBK Off road mid pipes and get a tune from RDP. They do tunes for life, so if you ever upgrade Steve will take care of you.
Shutudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporter6 View Post
What about a jba cat delete/ mid pipe ? Would that give it any horse power or just make it louder ?

Both. Catless mid-pipes are just straight pipes from your exhaust manifold to your catback. Note that the cats are the biggest restriction to your exhaust.

Eliminate them, or swap them to JBA or Solo high flow cats, and you're immediately increasing airflow through your system.

This means an increase in power and tone note as the stock cats don't 'muffle' your sound... catless will be a bit louder and maybe add just a bit more power than high flow cats... but both hfcs and catless will give you lots of power, relatively speaking.

I've got BBK Shorty headers and JBA high flow cats with a Flowmaster exhaust. The tone note is amazing to me, deep and a loud growl at wot. Its like nothing I've ever experienced. I love it.

Long tube headers will restrict airflow a bit less than shorties, thus giving you a bit more power... but its in the cats that'll make all the difference.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Both. Catless mid-pipes are just straight pipes from your exhaust manifold to your catback. Note that the cats are the biggest restriction to your exhaust.

Eliminate them, or swap them to JBA or Solo high flow cats, and you're immediately increasing airflow through your system.

This means an increase in power and tone note as the stock cats don't 'muffle' your sound... catless will be a bit louder and maybe add just a bit more power than high flow cats... but both hfcs and catless will give you lots of power, relatively speaking.

I've got BBK Shorty headers and JBA high flow cats with a Flowmaster exhaust. The tone note is amazing to me, deep and a loud growl at wot. Its like nothing I've ever experienced. I love it.

Long tube headers will restrict airflow a bit less than shorties, thus giving you a bit more power... but its in the cats that'll make all the difference.

This is absolutely correct information above!

I did shorty headers and hfc as my first mod. Was great. I honestly would skip this set up if I had to do it again over and just do what I have now.

I now have JBA 1 7/8 long tube headers and the JBA 3” cat deletes. Sounds like I added a cam upgrade with this set up and has a beautiful old muscle car tone.

I just upgraded to add to my JBA set up by adding a stainless works 3” cat back with x- pipe and muffler deletes. I can’t say yet how she sounds as I have yet to get a chance to run the car since crappy winter here but I’m certainly excited!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Quote:

Thanks for that information bro. I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #13
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
This is absolutely correct information above!

I did shorty headers and hfc as my first mod. Was great. I honestly would skip this set up if I had to do it again over and just do what I have now.

I now have JBA 1 7/8 long tube headers and the JBA 3” cat deletes. Sounds like I added a cam upgrade with this set up and has a beautiful old muscle car tone.

I just upgraded to add to my JBA set up by adding a stainless works 3” cat back with x- pipe and muffler deletes. I can’t say yet how she sounds as I have yet to get a chance to run the car since crappy winter here but I’m certainly excited!
I bet it will sound insane !!. Mane in my opinion nothing better then that Raw sound of a naturally aspirated V8.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
If you have NPP and just put the solo hfc's on you will not be disappointed trust me!