Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Powerstop Rotors Who Has Them?

Considering getting the powerstop rotors (I know some people are against them but they’ve worked well for me in the past with other brands). Was wondering about how they were holding up and I was confused about the no coating on the hubs thing. Does that mean the hubs rust like the stockers do?
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
Considering getting the powerstop rotors (I know some people are against them but they’ve worked well for me in the past with other brands). Was wondering about how they were holding up and I was confused about the no coating on the hubs thing. Does that mean the hubs rust like the stockers do?
Researching rotors on the forums, power stop's drilled rotors have reports of cracking on the Camaro and Corvette. YMMV.

With that in mind, I went for the Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Cryo-Treated Rotor that LethalCamaro installed on his 2SS, along with the power stop ceramic z26 pads.

FWIW.. Centric is the the parent company of powerstop

vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidZ View Post
Researching rotors on the forums, power stop's drilled rotors have reports of cracking on the Camaro and Corvette. YMMV.

With that in mind, I went for the Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Cryo-Treated Rotor that LethalCamaro installed on his 2SS, along with the power stop ceramic z26 pads.

I haven’t seen those reports always just a rumor. Not doubting you as I’ve heard it for years but have any links? I tried to search and didn’t come up with anything.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
I haven’t seen those reports always just a rumor. Not doubting you as I’ve heard it for years but have any links? I tried to search and didn’t come up with anything.
I did my research about 3 weeks month ago and I did not save the pics of cracked rotors to my photo album. What I do remember is that a drill location that was within an inch of the edge of the rotor was cracked. I have a set of the Centric / z26 combo waiting to be installed on Tuesday.

While I've had cross drilled rotors from stainless steel brakes.com for a dodge magnum srt8 that lasted > 60k miles before I traded the car for a camaro ss.. They never cracked or warp. Those rotors are different from what stop tech sells.

Like you mentioned, there is a lot of talk about the issues and not may photos. There were enough issues mentioned that made me wary enough to research into a heavy duty rotor that can stand up without warping.

Just to be clear, I did not have a pad bedding problem, the rotors warped from heat driving on a hilly freeway where its common to go from 70 to being stopped in traffic driving down hill. From what I've read on the Centric, they should be able to hold up well with the Brembo 4 piston setup on the SS.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Buy name brand drilled rotors and you wont have any issues, buy a Chinese made rotor where some guy in his garage drilled them and they will crack.

I ran the Baer Eradispeed drilled rotors for years with no issues on my 4th gen F-body.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
bereic

Drives: Camaro SS 2018 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidZ View Post

did you install them? How are they performing?
bereic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Had them for 10k miles on my 2017 Scat. They worked beautifully and did not warp. I had to replace the stock rotors because they were warped at 8k miles. They looked nice too. I traded in the car with them on, so Im sure they will last another 10k miles at least.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
My friend is running Powerstop z26 and I haven't heard any complaints from him.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Just put set of pads and rotors on today!
Car is stored till April/May so wont know much about how they perform till spring!

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote