Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
DKBRIM

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Automatic transmission shifting issue after sharp fast cornering...

Hi all,

I just joined this forum yesterday. I'm new to the Camaro world. A few months back I got a 2016 with the V6 and 8 speed automatic with 41,000 miles.

I've had this happen twice....taking a corner fast, like a 25 MPH corner going 40 or 45. Both times it was a right hand turn/corner. The transmission was in automatic shifting mode...not using tap shifters. Somewhere in the corner, it acted like it got switched to manual shifting and did not shift to the next gear when accelerating after the corner. It was stuck in probably second gear at over 4000 RPM and would not shift automatically. I then shifted it manually with the tap shifter and everything worked normally after that...shifted automatically just fine for the rest of the drive. This has only happened twice, when cornering fast.

Could it be related to this? - Before this happened my check engine light came on and the code was P0711 - Transmission fluid temperature sensor. I have not replaced that sensor yet. I don't really see how a temp sensor can cause the shifting issue only after a sharp corner, but that's the only thing that I can link it to. I cleared the error code and the check engine light has not come back on, although the transmission temperature shown on the dash display is very inconsistent. The second time the shifting problem happened was a couple of weeks after I cleared the P0711 code.

Thoughts?
DKBRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
My 2018 Camaro V6 A8 would downshift and act like what I thought was going into neutral if I was cornering hard through a curved on-ramp. I thought at first it was low on fluid, but had it checked and it was full. The transmission was simply going into performance mode (I finally noticed it said that on the display - duh). Not exactly what you're experiencing since there were no error codes, but just be aware that the transmission might be tied to a lateral acceleration sensor.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
As said above, your trans might be going into Performance Shift Mode, next time continue the drive and see if it eventually shifts (it should)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
DKBRIM

Interesting. Could just be coincidental with the error code. I'll try it again and see if it will shift on its own. It literally acted like it switched itself to manual shift mode and handed me the controls.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #5
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBRIM View Post
Hi all,

I just joined this forum yesterday. I'm new to the Camaro world. A few months back I got a 2016 with the V6 and 8 speed automatic with 41,000 miles.
V6 with A8 here as well. What you describe sounds consistent with my experience of having the car occasionally go into performance mode as a result of cornering rather than throttle operation. It surprised me as well the first time it did it, so hopefully just normal operation you are experiencing there! If that is what's going on, it will briefly show the Performance Mode message on the display.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
DKBRIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
V6 with A8 here as well. What you describe sounds consistent with my experience of having the car occasionally go into performance mode as a result of cornering rather than throttle operation. It surprised me as well the first time it did it, so hopefully just normal operation you are experiencing there! If that is what's going on, it will briefly show the Performance Mode message on the display.
Alright, thanks, definitely surprised me as well. I'll watch for the notification on the display next time. Thanks man!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
The performance shift mode can only be triggered in sport mode as well. Try doing the same scenario in touring mode. If it doesn't hang like before you then have your answer
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:05 AM   #8
DKBRIM

I will try that as well. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #9
VORTEX1

Drives: Camaro ZL1 , Corvette ZO6
It sounds like " Performance Shifting " mode to me . Next time , wait and see if it starts to upshift in about seven seconds after you ease off the throttle . Have fun !
VORTEX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:08 AM   #10
DKBRIM

It was definitely performance shifting as you all said. I've made it hit that mode many times now. Kind of a nifty little feature I didn't know about. Thanks All.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:30 AM   #11
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKBRIM View Post
It was definitely performance shifting as you all said. I've made it hit that mode many times now. Kind of a nifty little feature I didn't know about. Thanks All.

I've never had performance mode kick in at 40mph though.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I hit mine at probably 40-50 mph when taking an off-ramp 270-degree turn a bit too spirited. Near the end, it downshifted and was was ready to roar in performance mode. Didn't expect it, but was simply due to the lateral g's hit during the turn that kicked on that mode.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I love it when my car says to me..."Oh, so you want to go racing? LET'S GOOOOOO!!!!!"
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
my thoughts exactly, I love when my ZL1 says "oh, ok someone wants to go faster"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I love it when my car says to me..."Oh, so you want to go racing? LET'S GOOOOOO!!!!!"