Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-09-2023, 08:33 PM   #43
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
If you're asking me, I just used a flat piece of ABS plastic and drilled three holes to match the holes in the MRC module bracket that are already threaded for the stock 2SS or Bose amp. For small and light amp like the Kicker KEY, that's plenty. If you want to use a bigger, heavier amp, then it may make more sense to remove the styrofoam tool kit and inflator holder and mount the amp in that part of the trunk floor.
Yes, thanks for the reply. I like the organization the styrofoam provides, but it might just be easier to take it out for more room. I have a small kicker 46CXA400.1T for my sub, id have to measure if that will fit like yours.
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:24 AM   #44
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan2006 View Post
Yes, thanks for the reply. I like the organization the styrofoam provides, but it might just be easier to take it out for more room. I have a small kicker 46CXA400.1T for my sub, id have to measure if that will fit like yours.
I think that would fit on top of the MRC module. It's actually a little shorter in height than my KEY amp, so it will fit under the trunk's floor mat thing. At about 8x7 in length/width, it probably isn't bigger than the MRC module and it's probably about the same size as the SS or Bose amps.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:01 AM   #45
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I think that would fit on top of the MRC module. It's actually a little shorter in height than my KEY amp, so it will fit under the trunk's floor mat thing. At about 8x7 in length/width, it probably isn't bigger than the MRC module and it's probably about the same size as the SS or Bose amps.
Agreed, just worried about the heat from the amp, so ill probably make a setup similar to yours. Does the ABS plastic sit on top of the MRC or is there some kind of gap that you made?
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #46
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Agreed, just worried about the heat from the amp, so ill probably make a setup similar to yours. Does the ABS plastic sit on top of the MRC or is there some kind of gap that you made?
I have been wondering about the heat in that rear tire well too. I actually found a reasonably priced sub amp that has a remote knob that includes an amp temperature display too. I figure class D is probably the safest bet for heat, and trying to stick to 4 ohms output will help keep the current draw and heat down too.

Of course, still waiting on my car, so no chance to play with any of it yet.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:05 PM   #47
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
As I recall, the ABS "tray" I made sits slightly above the MRC so that there is an air gap. The standoffs the tray mounts to are the factory standoffs for either of the factory amps, so I'm pretty sure the heat to or from the MRC module is not an issue with this setup. I autocross and track my car on hot summer days and don't have any MRC issues at all.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:49 PM   #48
Gnuchoice I

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet 1SS 1LE SGM
I’ve been struggling to get my system to sound good. But I’m happy with my amp install and wanted to share a pic. I replaced the styrofoam center piece with a plastic mount for the amp. It uses the factory posts to hold it in place and has vertical pieces to support the trunk carpet and allows air to flow into the trunk The amp is a JL Audio XD500/3v2 it powers Focal PC 165 FE’s and a JL Audio HO110-W6v3 sub. The subwoofer is amazing, but the Focal 6.5 coaxial speakers aren’t a good fit. They are very bright and lack midrange. I’m going to try a pair of kicker 6x9’s with tweeters in the dash instead.
Gnuchoice I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:26 PM   #49
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Gnuchoice:

* Thanks for sharing your install pics - looks pretty clean.
* Regarding speakers, my installer said Morel silk tweeters give a very smooth treble, as compared to Hertz (middle), and Focal (bright). I'm really happy with the smooth top end and midrange of my 2-way Morel Virtus Carbon setup - 1.1 inch silk soft dome tweeter and 6.5 inch slimline woofer - although the bass is "subtle", but that's why I have a 10" JL sub. I'm not sure Kickers will be the same quality level you are looking for.
* Regarding install wiring and bracketing, I love this channel on YouTube - Five Star Car Stereo.

Is that a 2017 Camaro in for a new stereo, why yes it is!! Installer Diaries 56
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote