Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #29
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I have the ZLE and wish it was my daily but I daily a 1999 C5 Corvette that probably rides worse then the 1LE. I love the ZLE and are more then happy with its ride. A pony car that drives like a supercar.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #30
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I was trying to be in before the “rough ride comments.” Get the. ZL1 1LE. Mlee would approve.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 AM   #31
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
The base ZL1 is an all purpose vehicle and still has great handling suspension with the .magnetic shocks. The ZL1 1LE has a very stiff suspension for DD is more track focused.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:45 AM   #32
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
The base ZL1 is an all purpose vehicle and still has great handling suspension with the .magnetic shocks. The ZL1 1LE has a very stiff suspension for DD is more track focused.
big true.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #33
philpacs

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm very happy with the regular ZL1 for daily driving. I also track it hard and it's awesome there too. Perfect blend. Besides having to align the car(also 1LE's) often from the track it's a gem. I never thought I could put the times I'm doing at Sebring with a fully stock car and just brake fluid. Modern tech is amazing.
philpacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #34
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
^^^Exactly... which is why I mentioned his comments on body roll. An autox buddy with a ZL1 rides passenger with me and that's the first thing he notices. Especially on hard brakes

...in his case he's never going to track it so do you still recommend the 1LE or neither?
Yes, that's my opinion. Pains me to say it but if I knew 100% I was never going to track it I would probably go with something more multi-purpose and fuel efficient like a Subaru STI or other AWD hot hatch. This is partly because I'm factoring in cost with enjoyment. To fully enjoy a 650 HP beast like this you have to either 1) go to the track or 2) break the law in ways that put others on streets in danger.

I know many can find empty roads late at night that minimize risk, but a ZL1 at full throttle is still dangerous on any road that isn't designed for this--and only race track surfaces and the Autobahn are.

An STI or similar is an affordable car I could enjoy at moderate speeds in canyons, drive to work, use for shopping, and take skiing in snow and ice.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #35
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
I got a regular ZL1 and regret it. I didn't at first and I still love the car.

Problem for me was I though the 1LE was for younger people and associated the looks of the car with trying to compete with the import crowd at the time not realizing what it really was in terms of a track performer.

After I bought mine I took it to Daytona and I was hooked. At this point I have many track days with my current car.. 2yrs later and im wishing I had a 1LE because of it.

As a weekender/road trip, occasional track day/drag strip car the ZL1 would be the way to go.

As a 12-14 time a year track day car the 1LE is for you.

My opinion in hindsight.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #36
guccigrewal

Drives: Black 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Bringing up body roll is probably the biggest difference between the two but still doesn't mean the non 1LE isn't sharp. Seems you're set on the manual but I'd give that auto a second look too. It's a complete game changer.
So there is a noticeable amount? That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to handling.
guccigrewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #37
Hell Raiser
To fast is not enough

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro & 2020 CT5-V Turbo
The ZL1 is all in one while the ZL1E is mainly a track car. And there is a back seat in both that is useless has a fart in a can. My 2 cents
Hell Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #38
~Jb

For what you are looking for the ZL1 all the way. Then add the 1LE bits you like along the way if you still want them. I'm working on my second ZLE, but for me it's a true weekend/track car, and even with the track aspect I still considered ZL1. Like others have likely said the ZLE is harsh, unbearable? Nah.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #39
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Raiser View Post
The ZL1 is all in one while the ZL1E is mainly a track car. And there is a back seat in both that is useless has a fart in a can. My 2 cents
The ZLE is actually the all in one, the ZL1 can get the job done but if your going to make a statement about the all in one its the ZLE that does it all. While the car I can actually only give the best opinion on would be the one I have owned and driven for a little over a year now, the ZLE does not drive as bad as what most people that don't own one say. Cars that are able to put down the track numbers this car is capable of drive this way. Buy the ZLE or you will become the guy that says it drives way too rough.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #40
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
ZL1 if you aren't going to be on the track, ZLE if you are. I don't see the point in getting a track car for the road, but that's just me. My car will never see a track, so I don't need a stiff ride, dive planes, and 200 tread wear tires. My guess is that most people that track their cars are probably not going to be good enough to really take advantage of the differences anyway. If I did somehow end up on the track, I feel confident that my regular ZL1 would be all I need.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #41
CruisintheCountryLife

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
The ZLE is actually the all in one, the ZL1 can get the job done but if your going to make a statement about the all in one its the ZLE that does it all. While the car I can actually only give the best opinion on would be the one I have owned and driven for a little over a year now, the ZLE does not drive as bad as what most people that don't own one say. Cars that are able to put down the track numbers this car is capable of drive this way. Buy the ZLE or you will become the guy that says it drives way too rough.
I feel the same. Although I don't daily...I do drive every chance I get. I've driven 8-10 hours straight on a couple different trips and its never exhausting. The ZLE literally does it all, looks, speed and handling. The tires aren't great for daily or a lot of street driving but tires are tires. I plan to wear them out and just get a little more streetable ones.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #42
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
I picked up a set of all season wheels and tires for my ZLE to drive in the rain and winter.

They help but you're still punished driving on anything but smooth roads.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote