Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #43
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I dearly love everyone's hopefulness.

Yes a C7 can get 30 mpg on the highway in ECO mode but it has a very low CD. 29 EPA with the manual and 28 with the automatic for 2014. The 8 speed auto forv2015 may improve that number.

A CTS off of the same Alpha architecture with a TT 3.6 only gets 24 I believe. Not very likely a Camaro with an LT1 will do much better.
Yes, that's why I want ATS dimensions. The ATS and CTS differ by over 200lbs for the same engine combo. No one should want size similar to CTS because the 6th gen might not lose any weight if it is. Bottom line is new safety standards are coming. If we want lighter Pony cars they are going to either have to get smaller or more expensive. If the 6th gen had exterior dimensions as small as a 1st gen I would be totally okay with that.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #44
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
The 2014 CTS Vsport and 2014 Chevy SS weight nearly exactly the same...despite all the miracle magic that Alpha is supposed to provide.
But the Camaro should be on the smaller lighter short wheel base ATS chassis not the long wheelbase heavier CTS version. If the Camaro doesn't drop 250 to 300 lbs there in trouble. BTW, the 2015 mustang is said to be 200 lbs heavier, mustang lost no weight and that's great news
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #45
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I dearly love everyone's hopefulness.

Yes a C7 can get 30 mpg on the highway in ECO mode but it has a very low CD. 29 EPA with the manual and 28 with the automatic for 2014. The 8 speed auto forv2015 may improve that number.

A CTS off of the same Alpha architecture with a TT 3.6 only gets 24 I believe. Not very likely a Camaro with an LT1 will do much better.
The LF3 is also mated to an 8 speed transmisison with a rear end ratio of 2.85 and an 8th gear ratio of .7. It runs at 1800rpm at 70mph, which is comparable to the 2LS Camaro. After looking at a dyno graph for the CTS VSport, it seems it makes quite a bit of power just over 1500rpm... I think it could achieve higher mileage with a slightly higher 8th gear (maybe .65 or .6)

The ultra torquey LT1 Corvette equipped with the 7 speed manual has a rear end ratio of 2.56 and a 7th gear ratio of .42. Very, very low engine speed. I am quite interested in seeing what the ratios on the 8 speed Z06 are.

(Note: C7 has a CD of .29. The 2014 CTS has a CD of .29 from what I've found. V6 Camaro has a CD of .36, but the 2LS can still achieve 30mpg highway. Things to consider.)
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #46
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
If we are estimating the weight loss just relative to the platform changes that the OP referenced, I think the Camaro will lose 300-400 pounds. You have to remember the new CTS which moved to the long wheel base alpha platform is actually bigger (at least in most dimensions) than the sigma platform CTS and it still lost weight. I could be wrong, but I suspect the next Camaro will be quite a bit smaller and based on the short wheelbase alpha. If that is true, weight loss of 300 - 400 should be very acheivable.

As far as content goes, comparing a mid line Cadiallac to a Chevy Camaro is crazy. But I would estimate that the level of content creep from the old CTS to the new CTS could be roughly comparable to the content creep on the 5th gen Camaro to the 6th gen. I will definitely be disappointed if the 6th gen doesn't lose at least 300 lbs.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #47
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
From Entertainment Weekly, in an interview with Micheal Bay: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/2...hael-bay-cars/

Quote from article:
Quote:
As for the heroes, Optimus Prime is now a Western Star truck (an homage to his 1980s toy form), while Bumblebee starts out as a modified ’67 Camaro, then morphs into a 2014 custom-made version. “GM is actually shrinking the Camaro now, and we were like, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa.’ So we worked with the designers, making it wider and neater,”
If the above quote is true then we can certainly expect some weight loss. Smaller car on Alpha means decent weigh loss.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #48
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Interesting..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #49
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
From Entertainment Weekly, in an interview with Micheal Bay: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/2...hael-bay-cars/

Quote from article:

If the above quote is true then we can certainly expect some weight loss. Smaller car on Alpha means decent weigh loss.
It also shows that the TF4 car is not the GM design. They modified the car to meet their design requirements.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #50
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I think it's funny that Ford still hasn't revealed the weight and power of the new Mustang even though it's right around the corner. It's like every minute they hold back that information is critical in the Camaro vs. Mustang competition.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #51
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I think it's funny that Ford still hasn't revealed the weight and power of the new Mustang even though it's right around the corner. It's like every minute they hold back that information is critical in the Camaro vs. Mustang competition.
When it comes to SS versus GT, I don't think chevy needs to worry about power. Even if the GT makes 475HP, the LT1 at 450HP is a more than worthy engine because of its torque advantage.

So chevy really should be gunning for a weight target, which is to weigh basically the same, or less than the Mustang. With the LT1, and a similar weight, the GT would have to make a lot more HP to be much faster in a straight line.

Alpha is already deemed a superbly handling chassis, so that shouldn't be an issue either.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #52
Bhobbs

I'm thinking Ford isn't happy about the final weight and power numbers so they are waiting as close to the release date as possible so people don't cancel their preorders.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #53
Bhobbs

Quote:
When it comes to SS versus GT, I don't think chevy needs to worry about power. Even if the GT makes 475HP, the LT1 at 450HP is a more than worthy engine because of its torque advantage.

So chevy really should be gunning for a weight target, which is to weigh basically the same, or less than the Mustang. With the LT1, and a similar weight, the GT would have to make a lot more HP to be much faster in a straight line.

Alpha is already deemed a superbly handling chassis, so that shouldn't be an issue either.
Don't forget that the SS will most likely have a 7 speed manual and 8 speed auto vs the Mustang's 6 speed manual and auto.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #54
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'm thinking Ford isn't happy about the final weight and power numbers so they are waiting as close to the release date as possible so people don't cancel their preorders.
They are counting on RAVE reviews at the long-lead press event from worldwide journalists: how much better it rides and handles than the obsolete stick-axled current ones, how strong the driveline and added power feels...oh, and they better get the vast majority of '14s sold, so they don't get saddled with mega-rebates$ to move such piles...
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #55
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Yeah...you don't hold back good news. Notice how we already know the horsepower on the ZO6 and its still a long ways off.

Granted that's a different competitive situation. The Vette is in a class by itself and the Viper barely has a pulse. The Mustang vs. Camaro rivalry is almost religious. Maybe moreso.

In spite of all the bad news around GM, I think they easily have the best performance division in the US and the next Camaro is going to be a total gamechanger in the muscle car segment. They just have to get the styling right...
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #56
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

You're forgetting one thing here though, gearing.

The transmission and rear end ratios in the Mustang make much better use of the power it has available. Take a look at the actual torque per gear chart for both cars now.

All in all I don't see the weight reduction many of you are hoping for coming to fruition. The Mustang crowd thought it'd happen with the 2015 and it ended up weighing more. Each has to update for new safety requirements and that adds up quickly. In the end the new Camaro will most likely end up weighing the same but sport added power.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation