Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #673
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I went PD because it's just more fun to me. Instant big TQ.

The cost DID have to do with it too and I could do the work myself.
This is the exact same reason I stuck with a PD blower Turbos are very expensive!
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #674
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
This is the exact same reason I stuck with a PD blower Turbos are very expensive!
But they are oh so fun. Blower whine is great. Open external wastegates are intoxicating.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #675
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
But they are oh so fun. Blower whine is great. Open external wastegates are intoxicating.
And a dead giveaway.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #676
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
Blower wine is very badass, I loved my eaton setup for all the same reasons. So fun to have it in second around 40mph, and floor it while passing a bus stop or a group of people on a sidewalk and scaring the ever loving shit out of people.

I still do that from time to time now with my wastegates and bov's while going under freeway ramps.

I was driving past a lemonade stand and the kids there did the burnout/tear ass spin it sign by spinning they're hands. The look on people's faces when they hear wastegates roar to life is like a deer in the headlights followed by huge grins. Same with blower wine, it's pretty cool when your car makes badass sounds that most people don't understand unless they're into cars.
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #677
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt335ci03cobra View Post
Blower wine is very badass, I loved my eaton setup for all the same reasons. So fun to have it in second around 40mph, and floor it while passing a bus stop or a group of people on a sidewalk and scaring the ever loving shit out of people.

I still do that from time to time now with my wastegates and bov's while going under freeway ramps.

I was driving past a lemonade stand and the kids there did the burnout/tear ass spin it sign by spinning they're hands. The look on people's faces when they hear wastegates roar to life is like a deer in the headlights followed by huge grins. Same with blower wine, it's pretty cool when your car makes badass sounds that most people don't understand unless they're into cars.
Are you dumping to ATM or do your dumps route back into your downpipes?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #678
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Since bench-racers just cant seem to get enough of back and forth bickering and both unwilling to accept facts and would rather keep arguments in the spin cycle, lets just say...It's dead even. They both suck! End of story. Now go f'n drive your cars.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #679
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt335ci03cobra View Post

I like to open the headers in the tunnels.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #680
LeviG

Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
OK so you guys have me decide to trade in my ZL1 for a Cobalt SS. I'm going to get a 10-71 supercharger off a bus and 2 turbo's off of Freight liner, a commercial air conditioning unit to cool the intake charge and put 26's all around. I'm gonna be bad a$$. Who wants to race?
LOL!!! Leave this topic NOW. Its for your own good! Trust me!

LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #681
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
SOLUTION: put a ghetto grade BOOMBOX in your trunk with a transducer that amplifies the cars "natural" exhaust TONE @ the flip of a switch to about 140dB. IF you get pulled over by a revenue enhancement officer, flip the switch & go: whut?

I'm also working on prescription windshields for near/far-sighted drivers so they can drive w/o cumbersome eye glasses. There will be the optional window tint change rheostat for other such encounters to defeat tint-o-meters.

For the hard core driving enthusiast attempting to defeat radar, ECMs like the AGM-88 High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) could be deployed with wonderful results.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #682
LeviG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
You are right, they both create similar amount of heat through compression. The difference is that superchargers are usually directly mounted into the intake manifold and the heat exhchanger is in the manifold. That heat exhancher can only be so big and can only pull out "x" amount of heat. The turbo system typically uses an external cooler (like a front mount air-to-air cooler) that is highly efficent.
I know this will not apply to either the ZL1 or the GT500, but centrifugal superchargers, which are mounted elsewhere in the engine compartment, can use external intercoolers as well. Which would make them as good as, or better (no turbo lag) than a turbocharger. Again, I know this doesn't apply to these two cars, but it kinda negates the "supercharged cars are bad for racecourses" arguement.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #683
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
SOLUTION: put a ghetto grade BOOMBOX in your trunk with a transducer that amplifies the cars "natural" exhaust TONE @ the flip of a switch to about 140dB. IF you get pulled over by a revenue enhancement officer, flip the switch & go: whut?

I'm also working on prescription windshields for near/far-sighted drivers so they can drive w/o cumbersome eye glasses. There will be the optional window tint change rheostat for other such encounters to defeat tint-o-meters.

For the hard core driving enthusiast attempting to defeat radar, ECMs like the AGM-88 High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) could be deployed with wonderful results.
HARM is a beast.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #684
LeviG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
This is an internet myth. Supercharged cars won't heat soak on the track - unless they are poorly designed. Look at this test. Thee laps and no degradation in the performance. There's plenty of fresh air going through the intercooler to keep the supercharger cooling system cool.

Heat soak is a problem at the drag stip, where you run WOT and then stop the car. All of the heat soaks into the engine, supercharger, and cooling system while it's just sitting there.

The reason why superchargers aren't used in professional sports car racing is in large part due to poor fuel consumption and rules. In SCCA World Challenge, the CTS-V is not allowed to run the LSA.
I think some of this is also coming from the article on this site about the Lingenfelter ZL1 that they took to 200+ mph. It experinced heat soak, which initially hindered them from reaching their target speed. BUT this was on modified car built for top speed, not for circuit racing.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #685
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
My other invention is a blower run by a Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke engine independent of the LSA's crankshaft/pulley system.

A JATO assist is also in the works!
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #686
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG View Post
I know this will not apply to either the ZL1 or the GT500, but centrifugal superchargers, which are mounted elsewhere in the engine compartment, can use external intercoolers as well. Which would make them as good as, or better (no turbo lag) than a turbocharger. Again, I know this doesn't apply to these two cars, but it kinda negates the "supercharged cars are bad for racecourses" arguement.
Though a centrifugal supercharger makes boost quickly, it makes boost linearly. It will not make peak boost as early as a proper turbo setup as boost builds with RPM with a centrifugal blower. Turbo lag is really not a big deal anymore. I have a journal bearing turbocharger from 2005 on a 2.5l 4 cylinder and I see peak boost well before 3,500 rpm. Some of the newer ball bearing designs in different configurations will actually help the engine make peak torque BEFORE 2,500rpm. The cobalt SS/TC for example. Centri blowers are great options for the aftermarket, especially if you're making big numbers, but they have some key drawbacks that really keep them from being as great all around performers as a proper turbocharger or twin screw/TVS.