Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #43
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
Yup different stage of the game for us at our age. Driven lots of fast cars over the years, foreign and NA, still have a supercharged Solstice. I almost bought a Vette when I bought my first Camaro the Z28 at 20. Only reason I didn't was the Vette was bright yellow , couldn't get past the color.

Reality is these cars have come so far , the handling is so good , the efficiency of the engines and HP output that most of us don't have the driving skills to handle the higher end stuff. Do you really need 650hp and 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? Been there, done that for the most part.

Funny one of my younger neighbours was over admiring my Camaro a couple of weeks ago, mentioned he had a 1991 Z28 before he got married. Telling me he loved that car , it was very fast. He wondered why I didn't opt for the SS, get the big engine. Said no need with this V6, 335 HP, likely more powerful than that Z28 he had. No way he said, so pulled my phone out and looked it up, his year of Z28 was 230 HP, ran 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, this one supposed to do it in 5 seconds. Progress ! I bet that 1991 was a dog on the track as well, cornering back then wasn't a priority. This Camaro actually handles quite well.

Read a article the other day that rated the fastest top 10 production Camaro's every built, the V6 came in number 6. Good enough for this old guy lol
I own both this 2018 V6 Camaro at 335 hp, and a 2000 SS Camaro that has about 700 hp. You wanna hear something crazy...I would say 9 times out of 10 I enjoys my V6 more. It basically has a lot to do with the points that you've made, but some other factors as well. The SS is loud, rough, and over the top that it's almost not enjoyable on the street. Don't get me wrong it's a beast, but it's it bit to crazy on the street for the most part. Plus I always want to lay into it, and that's not always a great idea lol
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #44
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I own both this 2018 V6 Camaro at 335 hp, and a 2000 SS Camaro that has about 700 hp. You wanna hear something crazy...I would say 9 times out of 10 I enjoys my V6 more. It basically has a lot to do with the points that you've made, but some other factors as well. The SS is loud, rough, and over the top that it's almost not enjoyable on the street. Don't get me wrong it's a beast, but it's it bit to crazy on the street for the most part. Plus I always want to lay into it, and that's not always a great idea lol
I guess that depends on where you live, because we have like 4 cops around patroling a city with 30k people lol. So, I don't have to worry about that. Plus I lived here all my life, 36 years, so I know all the empty back roads. It's like the autobahn around here if you know where to go. But I've got a 1400 hp auto SS (that's with a 19% DT loss) and I do get on it and have the most fun I've ever had. I've had a V6 Mustang, 3 V8 Mustangs, a se-r spec v Sentra and 350 Z. In this order, this (1400hp 2016 SS), the 350, and sentra were the most fun.

edit: there are more than 4 if anyone took that seriously. there are several, they just stick to the city part of town is all, where I drive normal. But they are never on the empty back wood country roads.

Last edited by Altered Carbon; 06-13-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #45
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
I guess that depends on where you live, because we have like 4 cops around patroling a city with 30k people lol. So, I don't have to worry about that. Plus I lived here all my life, 36 years, so I know all the empty back roads. It's like the autobahn around here if you know where to go. But I've got a 1400 hp auto SS (that's with a 19% DT loss) and I do get on it and have the most fun I've ever had. I've had a V6 Mustang, 3 V8 Mustangs, a se-r spec v Sentra and 350 Z. In this order, this (1400hp 2016 SS), the 350, and sentra were the most fun.
I can't imagine a 1400 hp anything, other than a total drag car lol. You drive this thing on the street much? What the hell is done to this car lol?
Old 06-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #46
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
I can't imagine a 1400 hp anything, other than a total drag car lol. You drive this thing on the street much? What the hell is done to this car lol?
I put about 100 miles on it a year give or take 20-30 miles, but keep the oil changed and all the other fluids checked as if I drove it 12k a year. The main source of power aside from bolt ons is a twin turbo hellion kit with a decent sized cam and katechs xdi system and high flow injectors on e85
Old 06-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #47
HCI2000SS

Quote:
I put about 100 miles on it a year give or take 20-30 miles, but keep the oil changed and all the other fluids checked as if I drove it 12k a year. The main source of power aside from bolt ons is a twin turbo hellion kit with a decent sized cam and katechs xdi system and high flow injectors on e85
Very cool. So is this basically a dedicated drag car, or just something you take to car shows and whatnot? A completely built LT1, or something else entirely?
Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #48
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Very cool. So is this basically a dedicated drag car, or just something you take to car shows and whatnot? A completely built LT1, or something else entirely?
I just mainly go to some shows, meet ups and take it out on nice days. But it's as built as it's going to be for me. But it really is a nice street car. I don't get 30 mpgs or anything lol, but I wouldn't have had it built the way I did if I was worried about that. It's a fun car though. I just had custom cutouts built into it about 20" back from the collectors on Wednesday (6/10). Has a better and louder tone/sound now. It sounds like a jet to me. I don't know what the new #s are. Certainly not lower!
Old 06-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #49
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:

edit: there are more than 4 if anyone took that seriously. there are several, they just stick to the city part of town is all, where I drive normal. But they are never on the empty back wood country roads.
That's a hell of alot of power.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #50
HCI2000SS

Quote:
I just mainly go to some shows, meet ups and take it out on nice days. But it's as built as it's going to be for me. But it really is a nice street car. I don't get 30 mpgs or anything lol, but I wouldn't have had it built the way I did if I was worried about that. It's a fun car though. I just had custom cutouts built into it about 20" back from the collectors on Wednesday (6/10). Has a better and louder tone/sound now. It sounds like a jet to me. I don't know what the new #s are. Certainly not lower!
I'm gonna take a guess here lol....you running about 35-40 lbs of boost? Even at 700 hp I can break my drag radials loose from a 60 mph roll, so I'm guessing you are either on slicks, or you just spin till like 100 mph lol
Old 06-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #51
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
When my grandson ordered his '19 RS he let me spec the car for him. I gave him a 78 Olds Omega when he graduated which was really a nice car. It was a loaded coupe with a 350 sbc which I converted to a 2oo4r overdrive when I got the car. The a/c blew cold and the car could tow a ski boat. Downside it was a gas hog and had to pass emissions bi annually here in Kommiefornia. He couldn't stand putting gas in that pig so he didn't want a v8 in his Camaro.
Of course I didn't argue one bit.
He got the lgx with the 8spd auto, 3lt r/s trim + HUD + ground effects and npp exhaust. That car is a blast to drive although he's only racked up 1100 miles in 11.5 months of ownership. It's steel gray metallic with rally stripes.
I personally love that car and am happy for him owning it. He hasn't missed anything by going with the 6.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #52
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
I get why people like the high HP cars , they are a thrill but as HCI said pretty rough when driving and they can get away from you. Think GM did a great job with the Camaro , the V6 really works for me, feels fast but not crazy fast, well balanced, awesome car. Nice thing is SS and ZL1's are there if you really need that extra oooomph. I do kinda miss the sound of my C7's V8 (had the performance exhaust on it to) but this V6 with the performance exhaust is kinda neat as well. Sounds a little more like a European high performance engine with it.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #53
NBCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
My first post but have been lurking for a few weeks gathering info on these cars as I wasn't a Camaro guy heck I haven't had a GM vehicle since 1989. So I have been searching for a summer toy since last fall came across this used low mileage RS at the local Ford dealer while dealing on a new Ranger and long story short I came home with both.....
I haven't had a V8 since the 70's so when the salesman told me it had a V6 in it that didn't bother me but the test drive sold me. I don't have many miles on it yet but the ones I do have made me smile ear to ear. This has to be the wickedest V6 I ever drove and the sound!!! one youtube reviewer compared it to an F Type Jaguar.. Looking forward to many miles this summer.....
NBCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #54
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCamaro View Post
My first post but have been lurking for a few weeks gathering info on these cars as I wasn't a Camaro guy heck I haven't had a GM vehicle since 1989. So I have been searching for a summer toy since last fall came across this used low mileage RS at the local Ford dealer while dealing on a new Ranger and long story short I came home with both.....
I haven't had a V8 since the 70's so when the salesman told me it had a V6 in it that didn't bother me but the test drive sold me. I don't have many miles on it yet but the ones I do have made me smile ear to ear. This has to be the wickedest V6 I ever drove and the sound!!! one youtube reviewer compared it to an F Type Jaguar.. Looking forward to many miles this summer.....

Good stuff ! Agree it does sound like a EU high performance car.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #55
HCI2000SS

The way I describe the V6 Camaro to people is that it has just enough of the right stuff to make it a bit special and fun. Just enough power, sound, looks, etc...I mean what else can you buy for 28k brand spanking new, that has ALL that the V6 Camaro has. That's just how I personally see it
Old 06-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #56
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
The way I view the modern V8s is; 1st gear is all wheel spin, top of 2nd gear is ticket land unless you're on the highway, 3rd is big-ticket/jail, and 4th is more jail or dead. I've done the 400+ hp V8 with a 2011 Mustang and ended up with a 41 over ticket coming off an on-ramp. There is something to be said about being able to keep the throttle pinned for longer before you're getting in trouble.
I agree with this, and everyone has their threshold for fast enough. I've never had a 1000+hp car like the other guy but I had a 500+WHP LS2 GTO that I thought was more fun after I took the blower off because I could hooligan around in it without being at an obscene speed after a couple seconds.

If you're a true enthusiast it takes a bigger man (or woman) to admit the v6 is enough if it really is. But everyone has different needs/wants.

The sound of a v8 though..
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote