Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Trizin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Borla x pipe with secondary cats

I pretty much decided on borla atak axle backs. The question i had is what would be the purpose of getting Borla x pipe that keeps the secondary cats. I am just doing the upgrade for sound purposes. What would you guys do? Borla x pipe with the axle backs or save the 700$ not worth the money sound isnt going to be much different.

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...rt__60607.html

that is the product i am referring to.
Trizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
gdgraph

I have a very similar configuration as what you are thinking about doing. I started out with the Borla S type axle back w/ NPP (11924) and then I added on the mid-pipes (60610) which are the same as the 60607 you are looking at only mine have the AFM valves because I have the A8.

When I added on the mid pipes they, the best way to describe it is that it felt like the car could breath better, it opened things up, there was clearly better flow, the tone was a little deeper and louder.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
gdgraph

You basically replace this garbage with this nice stainless steel which is a uniform diameter throughout and it has a higher quality true x pipe vs the stock stamped x pipe. You do get better flow and it sounds better, it's not going to give you huge power gains, but that's not really the point of a cat back, you do them more for the better exhaust note and sound quality.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Trizin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
You basically replace this garbage with this nice stainless steel which is a uniform diameter throughout and it has a higher quality true x pipe vs the stock stamped x pipe. You do get better flow and it sounds better, it's not going to give you huge power gains, but that's not really the point of a cat back, you do them more for the better exhaust note and sound quality.

Hey im actually the one that hit you up on your youtube video i saw that video and i started looking at the xpipes and i originally thought it deleted the secondary cats but now i see the one i want doesnt which is actually better for me anyways. but then i questioned if it was worth it. Thanks for the quick response both times and the pics. I do like the idea of replacing that crimped stock mess with something better.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Trizin

With the xpipe then its 2 cuts past the secondary cats. Then everything gets clamped together and no welding?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
gdgraph

Correct, it's a true bolt on. Even the secondary cat delete is a bolt on, no welding either.

For the 60607 that you are looking at, you just make two cuts 3.25" behind the secondary cat on one side and 4.25" behind on the other and then the Borla mid pipes just slide over and clamp down.

Here's a pic and the install guide:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizin View Post
With the xpipe then its 2 cuts past the secondary cats. Then everything gets clamped together and no welding?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 60607.pdf (3.25 MB, 133 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
gdgraph

Oh, hey dude, you confused me on youtube because you had a mustang user name haha. You'll see the different options in the install guide I just posted but you essentially have 4 main options, with a cat delete or without, and either option is with or without the AFM valves (depending if you have the A8 or M6).

To answer your question, IMO I thought they were worth it, it sounds much better, it's opened up more and when I eventually do headers it will be loud but also have a good sound and exhaust note, so I can't wait!

Adding the mid pipe essentially makes the system a full cat back which give you more volume than an axle back, that deeper and louder sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizin View Post
Hey im actually the one that hit you up on your youtube video i saw that video and i started looking at the xpipes and i originally thought it deleted the secondary cats but now i see the one i want doesnt which is actually better for me anyways. but then i questioned if it was worth it. Thanks for the quick response both times and the pics. I do like the idea of replacing that crimped stock mess with something better.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
Vee-Ate-Kameiro

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
hey guys, i'm doing some research and came across this thread.

I'm also thinking of doing a Borla mid pipe (60610) and S-Type axle back (11924).

First whats the difference between the 60610 and 60607 mid pipes?
Also if i do this build can i still do headers (Thinking 1 7/8 Kooks) and supercharger down the road? or would i need a cat back for that?

Thanks
Vee-Ate-Kameiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
60607 is non resonated 2 and 3/4 system (kit) from after headers and ends at the stock suitcase, for manual cars or for auto cars with AFM delete units

60610 is non resonated 2 and 3/4 system (kit) from after headers and ends at the stock suitcase, for auto cars and retains AFM

I have the 60608 which has resonators and is 2 and 3/4 this replaces the non-resonator pipes in any kit

Borla is great stuff and it all works with the factory 2 and 3/4 but their descriptions suck
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
Vee-Ate-Kameiro

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I'm pretty much set with Borla. Originally i wanted to do a full cat back ATAK exhaust but then after doing more research i'm thinking thats overkill so now i want to do the S-type. I don't intend to turn mine into a full race car, rather i want to mod up my SS to be as quick as a ZL1. This is a weekend car for me and i'll probably only go to the track a few times over the summer.

So i want to do long tube headers (with cats) and eventually supercharge it. With that being said do you think i should go mid pipe and axleback or a full on cat back? i do want to retain the NPP.

Also i'm keeping in mind the tuning (HP tuners). Will it be required after the mid-pipe/axle back or cat back? i'm hoping i can leave the tuning for another day.

You've given me advice previously and really appreciate the help!
Vee-Ate-Kameiro is offline   Reply With Quote