Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Pilot Alpin PA4 Winter Perf Tire...

Has any one run this tire on the Camaro or similar High HP/RWD car? I've been using an A/S the BFG Comp2 A/S (not the new "plus") and been happy enough except for the the snow/ice traction and was looking to get a little more performance in those conditions. *MOST* days I get by just fine w an A/S but have those 5-10 days in the winter season that I could use a bit more capability in snow/ice.
I've run the XI3 and I just don't need a studless snow/ice tire like that to run it for 4 months out of the year. They did pretty well in snow/ice but driving on them the rest of the days sucks ass all rubbery and squishy they're no fun to drive.

Supposedly the winter perf is supposed to be better in snow/ice traction between the A/S and the stud less snow/ice category.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I've used michelin X-ice and Blizzaks - both excellent snow/winter tires.

On snow or ice, winter tires are on another plant compared to all-season.

If you have all-seasons, try it. If not and can store them off-season, dedicated winter tires are nice.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yeah, I went with the 265/19 N-Spec (Porsche) PA4 version that Tire Rack was blowing out last year.

They are awesome for cold weather/snow tires. I doubt any tire will be better on cold, dry pavement and they do good in the snow. Not quite as good as X-ICE but dry performance is leagues better.

I got MRR wheels and use 7mm spacers up front, this aligns the outside of the tire to the exact same place the stock tires are. Sorry but I forget exact width and spacing of the wheels but this is pretty easy to figure out and you'd want to double check anyways.

You do need longer wheel studs though, I got ARP 1" longer studs and cut the "nose" off so they will fit the stock setup without spacers, with no need to use open end lugs or longer lugs. You can get a stud installer with a bearing so you can do this easily, don't even need to take the brake rotors off. You also need one open-end lug nut to use with the installer though.

These tires are recommended for use in temps 45F or below, no problem with occasional use in higher temps IME, but they are NOT a substitute for AS tires.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
My pattern has been to garage a set of tires as I swap on/off between summer and A/S.
I'd like a more winter tire than the A/S but that still has a connected performance spirit to it.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I bought this tire the PA4...I know it's fine but the 275/35 and the 285/35 have different tread patterns...made me triple check on the model numbers as I "knew" this but hadn't seen it in IRL, yet.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...A4XL&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...A4XL&tab=Sizes
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote