Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-09-2016, 01:21 AM   #1
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
So how much and what kind of power...

So I have an SS. First sports car and never modded a car before. I'm looking for a good increase in power. What kind of power and about how much would it be for a super charger and what else would need to be done to my car when getting one? Looking to make 550rwhp.
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Check with some of the vendors on here, they may be able to offer some good deals on it. Or if you have a "reliable' performance shop, you may want to inquire with them as they may offer some installation/tuning discounts if purchased through them. So it can vary from the purchase/install from around $4k-$7k.

Things you want to consider. Upgrading the rear suspension (toe/trailing arms, sway bars).
Things you need to know: You will lose your powertrain warranty.

Best advice if you have never done this. Keep researching, keep asking questions. It's best you know everything and what you are getting into and what to expect.

I have a s/c 2010, and love it. It too was the first performance modded car I have ever owned. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKevin View Post
So I have an SS. First sports car and never modded a car before. I'm looking for a good increase in power. What kind of power and about how much would it be for a super charger and what else would need to be done to my car when getting one? Looking to make 550rwhp.
I don't know where you live but have heard only good things about Matt S. at FSP (Florida Speed and Power). If you don't mind shipping your car off for a while I would not hesitate sending anything to ADM in Dallas.

I'm going to say that this new LT1 motor in the 2016 is a completely different animal than the old GM LS engines. There is a learning curve and I think I can say without a doubt that everyone working on the LT1 and the LT4 are still learning things as they go. 550 whp is an easily attainable number with several kits and that number has been achieved reliably at all of the best shops. Right now there is a lot more kits available in the supercharger world from the ADM kit that uses the Z06 corvette supercharger, to several 2.3's maggie, eforce to the centri from procharger. You will have to talk to the shop owners to get detailed prices on the kits with install. I love my car with boost!

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
..............................................Best advice if you have never done this. Keep researching, keep asking questions. It's best you know everything and what you are getting into and what to expect...........

This, I spent months reading and google searching. There are a lot of people who have been down this road before, take the time to learn from their mistakes. You need to talk to some shops, and then read some more. Contact some vendors, and read some more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
......I don't know where you live but have heard only good things about Matt S. at FSP (Florida Speed and Power). If you don't mind shipping your car off for a while I would not hesitate sending anything to ADM in Dallas......

FSP is in your backyard, and one of the best in the country. Had I not gone to FSP, I would have shipped my car to ADM.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
<flame suit on>

Interesting, first sports car you've ever owned and for some unknown reason 455 HP isn't enough..... Odds are that unless you are tracking the car you haven't come close to exploiting the power you already have.

Personally, I would spend the $$$ on learning how to exploit the power you have. The car, as it sits, already out performs 95% of the cars on the road. It's even a higher percentage in the hands of someone who knows how to exploit its potential.

Also be aware that mods needed to reach these numbers will instantly void your entire power train warranty. But hey, it's your money.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
<flame suit on>

Interesting, first sports car you've ever owned and for some unknown reason 455 HP isn't enough..... Odds are that unless you are tracking the car you haven't come close to exploiting the power you already have.

Personally, I would spend the $$$ on learning how to exploit the power you have. The car, as it sits, already out performs 95% of the cars on the road. It's even a higher percentage in the hands of someone who knows how to exploit its potential.

Also be aware that mods needed to reach these numbers will instantly void your entire power train warranty. But hey, it's your money.
No need to put on a flame suit for speaking the truth imo. Completely agree!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
<flame suit on>

LOL Right?

That's like saying hey after moving out of my 1 bedroom this new 5 bedroom house isn't big enough! I want a Mansion!

First sports car ever and 455/455 (It's really 460ish haha) HP/Torque isn't enough?

Thought I was crazy
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
LordKevin

What can I say? I like to have a lot of power. I have exploited the car and push it hard. I want more power.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKevin View Post
What can I say? I like to have a lot of power. I have exploited the car and push it hard. I want more power.
Hey, horsepower/speed is addictive! I completely understand. Don't crawl before you walk! Just start running man!
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Just read through and study the threads in this topic area. It's pretty easy to see that there are four FI products on the table right now that will get you into the power range you want. A wag for installed cost of anywhere from $7K to $12K, depending what option you choose and what the install costs are locally. Save $1K to $3K by doing it yourself, if you have the skills. More options are coming. I think all of them out there now have everything you need.

The one item I don't see discussed on all of them is if the tune is included. Be sure to ask about that.

Also be aware that the value of your '16 will drop like a rock. You'll never get your investment back, so plan on keeping it a while. You have to pay to play.

And FWIW, I get the power thing. I'm coming from having high performance motorcycles most of my life. And while these are fantastic cars, you can't beat the raw acceleration of an upper end sports bike. My 2SS with the SC is the first car I've ever owned that has a chance of keeping up with the modern motorcycles of today.

Last edited by Atomic Ed; 06-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Call the excellent people over at JDP Motorsports We own 2 2016's of our own.

I look forward to helping you reach your goals.

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
LordKevin

I live in South Florida. Shipping my vehicle or driving anywhere that isn't local will never be an option. I need a shop near me no more than an hour away. I'm near Ft Lauderdale
Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Matt @ Florida Speed is a stud! They are excellent. Or we could offer transportation services also. Just a thought. Let me know if we can ever offer any assistance.

Jared
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
LordKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Matt @ Florida Speed is a stud! They are excellent. Or we could offer transportation services also. Just a thought. Let me know if we can ever offer any assistance.

Jared
Where is Florida speed located?