Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
eDiff tune for Autocross - classing question

I understand that there is an eDiff tune available specifically for Autocrossing for my 2020 SS 1LE. Can anyone confirm whether or not applying this tune would kick me out of the B Street class? And, just as important, where did you get your information - send a link maybe?

Thanks!
Mike
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
How would they know?
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
I understand that there is an eDiff tune available specifically for Autocrossing for my 2020 SS 1LE. Can anyone confirm whether or not applying this tune would kick me out of the B Street class? And, just as important, where did you get your information - send a link maybe?

Thanks!
Mike
ediff tune is NOT legal for BS. Trust me i want it also! lol

Its basically in the rule book, remember if it doesn't say you can do it, then you cant thats how the scca works lol

so far its only legal for CAMC, that said there is a proposal to have ediff tunes allowed for ST classes, so in this case STU.

Not legal for BS because its a dealer or "port" installed option.

I know stupid considering the GT350 handling package is legal and thats dealer installed.

When it comes to electronics and tuning the SCCA just doesnt want to open that door.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
How would they know?

technically they wouldn't but personally thats not how i race.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
HawkeyeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
ediff tune is NOT legal for BS. Trust me i want it also! lol

Its basically in the rule book, remember if it doesn't say you can do it, then you cant thats how the scca works lol

so far its only legal for CAMC, that said there is a proposal to have ediff tunes allowed for ST classes, so in this case STU.

Not legal for BS because its a dealer or "port" installed option.

I know stupid considering the GT350 handling package is legal and thats dealer installed.

When it comes to electronics and tuning the SCCA just doesnt want to open that door.
Thanks Mike...there's a guy in our region who runs CAM-C with a 2018 SS 1LE. Pretty quick too, as he won PAX in yesterday's event. After our event, we did some fun runs and I got to drive his car (he has the eDiff tune). There was a huge improvement in drive off (and even turn in), and in one run I put down a time that was .8 seconds faster than my fastest run all day in my car. On a 30-second (small) course at that.

I was hoping to stay in B Street, but all the frustrations I have had this year driving the 2020 are just gone driving his car with the tune. Or maybe I just finish out the season struggling with it and then switch over next year.

Sigh...and here I thought after getting rid of the '17 SS and it's ice mode issues...I thought I was done having GM electronics cause me trouble.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
Ummpwr

Drives: Honda S2000
Anyone else have experience with how much a improvement the differential flash is for autox? Also what's the going rate for the flash?

Thanks , Eric
Ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
apexit53

Quote:
Thanks Mike...there's a guy in our region who runs CAM-C with a 2018 SS 1LE. Pretty quick too, as he won PAX in yesterday's event. After our event, we did some fun runs and I got to drive his car (he has the eDiff tune). There was a huge improvement in drive off (and even turn in), and in one run I put down a time that was .8 seconds faster than my fastest run all day in my car. On a 30-second (small) course at that.

I was hoping to stay in B Street, but all the frustrations I have had this year driving the 2020 are just gone driving his car with the tune. Or maybe I just finish out the season struggling with it and then switch over next year.

Sigh...and here I thought after getting rid of the '17 SS and it's ice mode issues...I thought I was done having GM electronics cause me trouble.

Thanks,
Mike
dude i have a terrible saturday with ice mode to the point, im looking at a mach 1 when it comes out. Sunday was a lot better! I think i have found some quarks that need to be done with the car. I swap wheels at events, iv found out that the car needs to relearn the tire sizes so it needs to be driven for a bit. i have found that once the tpms light is on the car feels the way it should!

Yeah, i dont want to drive a car with the diff tune cause i know ill want it! lol
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
dude i have a terrible saturday with ice mode to the point, im looking at a mach 1 when it comes out. Sunday was a lot better! I think i have found some quarks that need to be done with the car. I swap wheels at events, iv found out that the car needs to relearn the tire sizes so it needs to be driven for a bit. i have found that once the tpms light is on the car feels the way it should!

Yeah, i dont want to drive a car with the diff tune cause i know ill want it! lol
Is it a question though? Does the PP2 have any ice mode issues? Shelby's?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Is it a question though? Does the PP2 have any ice mode issues? Shelby's?
from what I have heard, no.

also the pp2 and mach 1 have mechanical diffs...

the ediff is great but you can tell its programmed for the track.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 08-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
Anyone else have experience with how much a improvement the differential flash is for autox? Also what's the going rate for the flash?

Thanks , Eric

It makes the car much easier/more predictable in the tight on/off AutoX realm.

It's $300 from your Chevy Dealer.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
From the SCCA rule book:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA
Except for modifications authorized below, Street Category cars must be run as specified by the manufacturer with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules...Updated parts, replacement parts, or any other changes by the manufacturer documented in the parts catalog or other manufacturer documentation as superseding the original part number used when manufactured are considered to be standard parts.
IOW, if the standard documentation for the eLSD calibration were changed to the autocross calibration - and it were therefore the new standard 1LE diff calibration - then I guess it would become legal. However, that's not the case, so we're SOL unless/until either the SCCA specifically allows it or GM makes it the new superseding spec.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #12
HawkeyeMike

So then my next question is...can I get the part and install it myself? AND retain the ability to go back to stock anytime I want? What physical part is it? A USB drive?

Another thought - how do we trust that the dealer actually installs it? I'm one of those guys with trust issues where dealers are concerned...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #13
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
So then my next question is...can I get the part and install it myself? AND retain the ability to go back to stock anytime I want? What physical part is it? A USB drive?

Another thought - how do we trust that the dealer actually installs it? I'm one of those guys with trust issues where dealers are concerned...

Thanks,
Mike

No. It must be installed by GM. You cannot reverse it.

The software is flashed to the car. My dealer gave me the report from the computer that showed the software revision and checksum info with my VIN number. It's kind of like the alignment before and after sheet. The only answer for 'trust issues' is to find a dealer you trust.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
apexit53

Quote:

Thanks,
Mike
noope,

what you would need to do is buy another diff controll unit, have that flashed with the ediff tune then swap them out depending what class you want to run that day.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE