After Midnight Tricoat (wheel) WA375A
SpiNz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I posted the actual wheel color chart above and don't understand why someone would try a substitution with a body paint color that is guaranteed not to match. Based on some forum posts, there indeed is batch to batch variance even for a matching wheel color, but if you start with a known wrong color, you won't get better results...
I know. Because even knowing the custom colors and process it's a bitch of a thing to dry and DIY. To do any better than a paint pen touchup would be what... a grind, fill, polish and blend into basically a candy finish... and there's only one way to do that right.

So I gave OP the DIY paint code. Tyrolblue67's experience is not unique with wheel color batch variation, and that variation is more or less centered around the shade of WA139X from what I've seen but perhaps more recent model years are darker. So yeah because of that variation the WA139X paint pen option color blend isn't a home run guarantee. My wheels are a shade lighter than WA139X. But as you can see in Tyrolblue67's case it worked pretty damn well. Might or might not work for OP but for $20 it's worth a shot for what 1 chance in 3?

And yeah on darker wheels, WA375A after midnight may match better than WA139X.

Last edited by Gunkk; 06-19-2023 at 10:10 AM. Reason: clarity
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:28 PM   #17
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
After the experience of the wrong color replacement rim, I was prepared to go on a wild goose chase to get a matching touch up color.
After looking at some posts and seeing photos of Nightfall Grey metallic ZL1's.
I decided to give that color a try.
I purchased the kit from scratches happen.com. The kit included primer, base color and clear coat. It also included different applicator brushes.
The instruction card had a primered area in which you could test if the color matched.
It was close with the base coat. Then when I added the clear coat, it seemed spot on after it dried while holding it up against the wheel. Be advised that when you apply the scratches happen supplied clear coat that came in the kit, it looked bright blue while wet. It turned completely clear after about ten minutes of drying time.
I was also prepared to try other colors that forum members suggested if Nightfall Grey metallic didn't match.
Make sure you test the color you choose before painting the wheel.
Good luck with your repair.
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote