Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 PM   #15
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Does the smell get worse after you get on it hard? Maybe wait until its dark outside and try getting on it then stop and reverse really quickly and shine your headlights in front of you and look to see if you see smoke.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
Kemo Savy
Banned

Drives: Make it a 6 speed in SS trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
Hello all.
I purchased a 2020 LT1 this summer. Very happy with the car. No issues until last week.

I noticed that once the engine and oil get up to temp, I can smell a hot oil smell inside the car at stoplights. It doesn't smell like burning oil, just hot oil.

I have popped the hood and looked to see if there are any leaks, and I can't find anything. I checked the filler neck, drain plug, oil filter; nothing, not a drop. I even disconnected the breather tubes and checked the PCV system; dry as a bone. I also took the engine covers off and looked under each.

I started to think the oil was too full, so I let the motor cool and drained about 1/2 a quart yesterday. I checked the oil this morning and it was about 1/2 a quart low, so I added it back before leaving for work today.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I have laid in the engine bay to see if I can track down the smell with my nose, and the only place I smell hot oil is directly over the intake manifold cover. I have sniffed everywhere and cannot pin point this.

The car is obviously still under full warranty, but I feel like this is going to be a complete pain in the butt for the dealership to figure out.

Thanks in advance,
Brandan

Never heard of....errr ,,I mean smelled of. Put it on the lift. Maybe oil sitting in the engine pan.
Kemo Savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #17
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Maybe pull the plastic valve covers, too, and look around the edges of the actual valve covers. Possibly a gasket leak.
I think you are on the right track thinking about a PCV leak.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505900
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #18
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks. It looks like I'm going to make an appointment with the dealer this week. Its such a pain in the butt around here. I always feel like they are trying to sell me something. Constantly answering "no" to all of their questions.

cmitchell17,
It doesn't matter how the car is driven, the smell starts as soon as my oil temp hits about 100°F and I hit the first stoplight in town.

ctrlz,
I pulled all of the plastic covers over the weekend. Couldn't find any spots of oil seepage.

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Car smells like hot oil.

Sounds like a rough night of hookers and blow.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #20
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I checked the oil this morning and it was about 1/2 a quart low, so I added it back before leaving for work today.
Any sign of oil frothing?
When you looked at the PCV tubes did you pull the valve?
The 2nd picture in this post shows the valve in the center:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=1
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #21
BrandanK

No signs of frothing that I can see.
I did not pull the PCV valve, I did however do a very close inspection of the tubes and connections and didn't find anything "wet" that would indicate excessive blow by, etc.

Calling the dealer now as I type this.

BK
Old 02-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #22
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
When was the last time you had your oil changed? If it was recently I'd have to guess that the tech spilled some oil somewhere on your engine and it's burning off.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #23
BrandanK

pyroguy
I changed the oil myself a couple hundred miles ago. Car has 5,100 miles on it now.

I didn't spill or drip any oil when I did the change. Just to make sure, I pulled all the plastic covers off and inspected everywhere up top and underneath. By now, anything that was dripped during an LOF would have been burned off by now for sure.

Awesome 5th gen by the way. That is my favor color 5th gen.

I called my service advisor and left a message, he was on another call.

BK
Old 02-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
I've had the exact same thing happen after a dealer oil change. The dealer spilled oil all over the valve cover, wires, sound tube. I cleaned it off but had this smell for 1 year (1500 miles, short trips) dealer couldnt find where it was. After that year never had it happen again. I am changing oil myself now. I think some spilled oil got in the sound tube.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #25
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Every car I have ever owned has smelled like hot oil after I changed the oil. And I know I didn't spill any.

If a careful visual inspection doesn't reveal any seepage, I would stop worrying. Cars do smell like cars.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #26
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Every car I have ever owned has smelled like hot oil after I changed the oil. And I know I didn't spill any.

If a careful visual inspection doesn't reveal any seepage, I would stop worrying. Cars do smell like cars.
After two oil changes and no leaks or spills, this is what I’ve resigned to.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
pyroguy
I changed the oil myself a couple hundred miles ago. Car has 5,100 miles on it now.

I didn't spill or drip any oil when I did the change. Just to make sure, I pulled all the plastic covers off and inspected everywhere up top and underneath. By now, anything that was dripped during an LOF would have been burned off by now for sure.

Awesome 5th gen by the way. That is my favor color 5th gen.

I called my service advisor and left a message, he was on another call.

BK
Very interesting. I would have put money on it would have been a sloppy technician. With that low of miles I'd be taking it back to the dealer. Just out of curiosity, has Chevy quit doing the first 2 years/24 months worth of oil changes free?

Thanks for the compliments on my car. She's number 831 of 3,903 in aqua blue metallic. I like 6th gens a lot and will add one to my garage one day, but I love my 5th gen.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #28
BrandanK

Prelim Solution!

The Transmission Vent Tube is directly in front of the Cabin Air Inlet.
The vent tube was gassing into the Cabin Air Inlet.

The GM Tech Assistance Team advised my dealer to extend the vent tube to the front of the engine bay. Shop Foreman extended the tube up near the headlight.

I BELIEVE this is fixed. I drove the car to work with no oil odor. Fingers crossed.
Will know more by tomorrow if it is truly fixed.

Brandan