Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #43
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I ran one on my Mustang and when you see the liquid amount in there after just a couple of months or between oil changes you'll start to think about all of that blowing back thru your intake and valves. Though I've yet to pony up the cash for the Camaro. I've no idea if it really makes a difference though I believe it does.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #44
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
I absolutely do.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #45
mcatron

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Yes, and installed in a different location than the brackets were intended for.
Attached Images

mcatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #46
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
My take is, GM would have put one in if it really needed it. That being said, I don't have one and don't want to void my warranty so I won't be getting one either.

No. No car company would do this. 90% of customers wouldn't maintain it or care to know how. Most customers sell their car in 3-4 years and thus wouldn't care about the long term effects - or short term effects.

The crap these cans catch is undeniable. And with a DI engine, it's only a matter of time until the valves are covered in some very bad stuff. It's not a Camaro thing at all.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #47
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
I put an Elite E2 (single in, single out) in my car as soon as I got it home after a 200 mile trip from the dealership from where I bought it. I got its first oil change done and checked the can at 1050 miles. There was about 1.5 tablespoons worth of gas-smelling oil in the can. It may not be a lot, but that is 1.5 tablespoons that isn't getting sucked back into the intake to coat the insides or get caked on valves. It may not catch all of it, but catching some, I believe, is better than catching none.

I asked the dealership if the can would void any warranty. They said no since it is not opening any part of the PCV system to the atmosphere, like one with a breather would. It is still a closed system.

If you don't want to run a catch can, cool. I'm glad I put one on and what I collected in the first ~1k miles validated my decision, I feel.

FWIW, my Elite E2 came with everything it needed to be mounted to the strut tower. There weren't any instructions saying "mount this to there", but being a single in, single out, and with a few pictures found in threads here, it wasn't difficult at all to install. 20 minutes, tops.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #48
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
I have 3 direct injection engines and no catch cans, sorry I don't buy all the doom and gloom chatter until I have a problem.

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #49
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
I have 3 direct injection engines and no catch cans, sorry I don't buy all the doom and gloom chatter until I have a problem.

If you are concerned about carbon build up on the valves and other internal engine components, have an induction service performed by your local dealership every 50,000 miles.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #50
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
Yes! I just checked/emptied mine after a 5+k mile round trip and it was almost half full. I have the 7 year maintenance plan and they normally will empty it for me but didn't this time. You don't have to have a catch can.....BUT IT HELPS!
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #51
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Here is a before and after dyno on a 6.2 LT1 at 20k miles showing the power regained after a manual intake valve cleaning:

and a video showing vales at 5500 miles on another:

It is easy for anyone handy with tools to remove your intake manifold and inspect your own valves. Only takes a few minutes to do and not speculate.

So, do as you personally choose. We retain a closed emissions compliant system and do not reduce, defeat, or delete ANY function of the factory system, only improve what it already does and we stop 95% plus of the contaminates present in the PCV vapors unlike the next closest design that only traps less than 50%. And unlike the vented/breather cans that ARE illegal in all 50 States and can be grounds to void a warranty. Only in CA do we not meet their CARB cert requirements yet.

Hope this helps sift through some of the inaccurate info in this thread.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #52
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
These threads are amazing!

Warranty, state legal/illegal, pride about having cars without issues so everything isn’t true...
So much in one thread
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #53
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Here is a before and after dyno on a 6.2 LT1 at 20k miles showing the power regained after a manual intake valve cleaning:

and a video showing vales at 5500 miles on another:

It is easy for anyone handy with tools to remove your intake manifold and inspect your own valves. Only takes a few minutes to do and not speculate.

So, do as you personally choose. We retain a closed emissions compliant system and do not reduce, defeat, or delete ANY function of the factory system, only improve what it already does and we stop 95% plus of the contaminates present in the PCV vapors unlike the next closest design that only traps less than 50%. And unlike the vented/breather cans that ARE illegal in all 50 States and can be grounds to void a warranty. Only in CA do we not meet their CARB cert requirements yet.

Hope this helps sift through some of the inaccurate info in this thread.

A 19HP difference is pretty damn significant. Are you saying a catch can would prevent this drop off?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #54
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
As a former service manager at GM, good luck. No one says you NEED to run one...but take a minute to understand how direct inject works. Shit, even the LS engines before the rebirth of the LT1 had oil in the intake issues, the only saving grace was they're not DI motors.

At the very least do the fuel induction service when recommended.

You can "not buy it all you want" but don't bitch when you do have an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
No. No car company would do this. 90% of customers wouldn't maintain it or care to know how. Most customers sell their car in 3-4 years and thus wouldn't care about the long term effects - or short term effects.

The crap these cans catch is undeniable. And with a DI engine, it's only a matter of time until the valves are covered in some very bad stuff. It's not a Camaro thing at all.
Exactly
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #55
Stiesel84

Drives: 2018 2SS NFG 6MT
Have a mishimoto installed since the day I brought my 2SS home. Added within first 15mi on odometer, this was the first to go on.
Stiesel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #56
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I installed the Elite 2X, but if I had known what a trainwreck the instructions and parts were, I probably would have passed it up. Hands-down worst instructions ever (as in no instructions, you get to guess a lot) and missing parts. Not a great solution, even though the can appears to be quality.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote