Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #85
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I would assume only the dealer can pull engine status before check engine, things like rpm and vehicle speed, which gear the trans was in etc. Good luck, I think you are being realistic no car for a few months.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't, or why it happened, but I've only tried NLS once since my cam and it did not work and mine ended up free revving. No Carnage on mine, but mine is a baby cam, not a Max effort.

I can't say for certain that I didn't lift just a little bit. The throttle needs to be like 93% or higher iirc. If I was betting, mine was operator error and I a lifted a little out of habit. I think I decided to try it again as a split second decision. I
want to try it again, but I'm going to have hptuners running to make sure my right foot stays planted and my throttle is reading correctly, in case it doesn't engage NLS

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #86
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I would assume only the dealer can pull engine status before check engine, things like rpm and vehicle speed, which gear the trans was in etc. Good luck, I think you are being realistic no car for a few months.
I've had to wait up to 9 months in the past for a motor build(and yes I always pay for at least all parts upfront).
So i'm mentally preparing myself for a long haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Missing a shift (neutral vs. downshifting in error) at those rpm's at WOT is still going to result in additional rpm rise due to inertia and in some added valve bounce off the seat.

Unless you have a cam / valve / valve spring combo that has been run on a Spintron to see how controlled the valvetrain is at a given rpm, you have no idea of how well controlled the valve events are and how much bounce is seen at different rpm's.

If already tight on piston-to-valve clearance, which, without degreeing the cam in is totally unknown, the results can easily be this with too high of an rpm.

Below is a good (old) article about testing for valvetrain stability, measuring valve bounce, etc. While it is on a LS7, the engineering behind it applies.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/140...xhaust-valves/
yes, I brought this up with my shop & vengeance. Even so the inertia would probably only carry it another 500rpm tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
The amount of difference in pitch between the 'normal' shift points in the video, and the 'over rev' clearly sounds like it grabbed 2nd. The motor screams for a split second. If someone with audio software took the frequency of the exhaust at the shift points and assumed it's around 6500rpm, it should be fairly easy to get a rough estimate of the rpm immediately before the magic smoke came out of the exhaust. I'm thinking I'm hearing 8k easy.

But that's just my opinion.
The 2nd to 3rd gear no-lift-shift, is set to ~6500rpm, limiter was 6850rpm.

Auto-rev match was on during the pull. The split second high pitch is from the car going into neutral and attempting to rev-match to 2nd, thereby hitting the limiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
If the car had PDR, was it on? I don’t remember that in the thread but easily could have missed it.
It does, but I don't have a SD card put in.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #87
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
DatBrotato, good luck with whatever you do for it's return. With many (many) years of drag racing, etc., I have blown up my share of stuff. When you dyno it upon its rebirth, record via the PDR even on a stationary dyno. There is a lot of data available, especially if you look at it with the Pi Toolbox from Cosworth. Of course, your tuner should data log as well via the ALDL connector.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #88
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
So looks like we're in the home stretch.
Just got the shortblock back from Don Hardy Racing Engines.
We went with 11.5:1 diamond pistons and Callie's H beams, just drop-ins with a light hone.
Also got calico coated rod/main bearings, ARP headstuds, and Ferrea steel exhaust valves & hollow-stems for the intake.
Surprisingly the heads were repairable, but I was told it wasn't easy.

We'll check PTV once it's back together.

The plan is to get everything running right N/A, make sure there's no issues. Then hopefully get the Nitrous Outlet MSD hardline plate kit w/dedicated fuel cell on before TX2k, and get tuned for C16/Q16 on spray.
:FingersCrossed:

[https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c0...QDB8B4YqyFRxk1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HO...KRK70DAMF8GfPB
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NF...TxvasWec2cTuYp
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14V...pGR9L1t6Dvu-yi