Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
remove Texas Speed and just note that any header in any car may need modification period. The bigger tube and cheaper header may have more issues. Pretend you don't know about it causee it makes NO HP difference... it is a piece of the exhaust system. The stock system has all 4 tubes going into a 2.25" hole.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
remove Texas Speed and just note that any header in any car may need modification period. The bigger tube and cheaper header may have more issues. Pretend you don't know about it causee it makes NO HP difference... it is a piece of the exhaust system. The stock system has all 4 tubes going into a 2.25" hole.
This is beyond "normal modification needed" this is a manufacture defect, texas speed has already admitted that. And no im not going to pretend like I dont know its there because they are ceramic coated, denting them damaged the coating.
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #17
oldman

Well all is good then, I'm glad they stood by their product; would not want a scratch in the coating robbing any HP..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 07-16-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #18
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
It's a bummer to hear that you've had such difficulties with their headers. So many people have had such great luck with their headers, but there's always exceptions to the rule. Personally I went with Kooks because so far I've been putting American made parts on the car to support American jobs. Some people think it's just a waste of money and it's not going to make that big of a difference, but it's my choice and my ride.

Good luck with your headers. I hope the next set fit better. Don't condemn all of TSP's parts based on their headers. They make MANY very high quality parts with many people racing with great success with them.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
oldman

My 1 and 7/8 Kooks have lots of room, about 3 stock spark plug wires need to be modded and or moved. I do remember the initial Kooks did have some fitment issues with the cross member brace. Once again I think Kooks is a quality header, but it is not unusual to run into fitment problems. Putting dents into headers have been done probably since headers have been invented. This causes no performance issues. How upset should one be about a cosmetic issue with an exhaust?
Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #20
Korosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
My 1 and 7/8 Kooks have lots of room, about 3 stock spark plug wires need to be modded and or moved. I do remember the initial Kooks did have some fitment issues with the cross member brace. Once again I think Kooks is a quality header, but it is not unusual to run into fitment problems. Putting dents into headers have been done probably since headers have been invented. This causes no performance issues. How upset should one be about a cosmetic issue with an exhaust?
I don't know where you think I have been complaining about performance loss(HP loss). Haven't said that once. I will reiterate since you obviously didn't read my previous posts, the denting caused damaged/cracking to the coating, which now compromises the ability for the coating to keep the temps down on the header.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #21
Korosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
It's a bummer to hear that you've had such difficulties with their headers. So many people have had such great luck with their headers, but there's always exceptions to the rule. Personally I went with Kooks because so far I've been putting American made parts on the car to support American jobs. Some people think it's just a waste of money and it's not going to make that big of a difference, but it's my choice and my ride.

Good luck with your headers. I hope the next set fit better. Don't condemn all of TSP's parts based on their headers. They make MANY very high quality parts with many people racing with great success with them.
Thank you! I hope they fit better too... this is the first thing I have ever bought from texas speed so it is not a good first impression.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosion View Post
, the denting caused damaged/cracking to the coating, which now compromises the ability for the coating to keep the temps down on the header.
A nick in the coating equals minuscule temp change in the engine compartment. lets see 2" diameter tubes by 32" long gives me a surface area of: 824 square inches vs a massive crack say 1/4 wide and 1/2 long, heck lets say there are 3 of these crank the numbers .38 of square inch or about um .02 of the coating which may increase heat rejection say 5%. crank in a total delta change of heat rejection .001 that number . It is purely cosmetic and it is an exhaust. I'm not saying anything else. It is cosmetic, do you need want or should get a replacement that is between you and the vendor. I am merely saying it is cosmetic, yet you keep insisting there is a measurable performance difference.. there is not.

Last edited by oldman; 07-17-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #23
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
i just got done installing the headers and had no issues, with the install itself. it went pretty smooth finished it with a buddy within 6-7 hours. but my only question is i hear the bolt rubbing when i turn the steering wheel. im not sure if we put the bolt in the wrong hole of the steering shaft or what but there are 3 different holes there. does anyone know which one it is?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #24
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It’s supposed to go in the hole near the rear two primaries. Some grind the the “nut” side too but not sure about that
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #25
AlphaCamaro7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
It’s supposed to go in the hole near the rear two primaries. Some grind the the “nut” side too but not sure about that
so screw the bolt from the bottom end of the car or from the engine bay?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
For the money savings they are worth every penny. We run into issues with the 2" every now and again with the steering shaft bolts hitting the header. They come with a lower profile bolt to help but sometimes there is still contact in extreme situations. Nothing a dimple can't cure.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #27
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosion View Post
I don't know where you think I have been complaining about performance loss(HP loss). Haven't said that once. I will reiterate since you obviously didn't read my previous posts, the denting caused damaged/cracking to the coating, which now compromises the ability for the coating to keep the temps down on the header.
This is the very reason I went with 1-7/8" ARH headers. I didn't want ANY clearance issues because of I planned on having them ceramic coated. I paid good money to have them Swaintech coated. My ARH ceramic coated headers went on with no problem and no damage to the coating.

So I can imagine how you feel to have to dent your ceramic coated headers. That would most definitely rub me the wrong way.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #28
AlphaCamaro7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
For the money savings they are worth every penny. We run into issues with the 2" every now and again with the steering shaft bolts hitting the header. They come with a lower profile bolt to help but sometimes there is still contact in extreme situations. Nothing a dimple can't cure.

Can I drive it even if the bolt is hitting it? Would it do anything to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk