Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #15
Carnage_SS

Drives: CMaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscentral View Post
I have their 1 7/8" headers w/ x-pipe kit. Had a harder time getting the stock manifolds out than I did getting the headers in. They fit like a glove. My only recommendation is to go with different clamps. the ones that came with the kit kept loosening up on me no matter how tight they were. New clamps are good with no issues in 3 weeks so far I have on them.
Same I had to replace 2 clams but still cheap af
Carnage_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #16
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Ive had them for like 8 months, perfect fit, no issues.
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Have you ever bought a Romex watch? It may look like a Rolex and the street vendor you bought it off of says it's just as good even though you only paid $50 for it, but it's made with inferior parts to inferior quality control standards to the big dollar name brands. Sure you may get lucky and they may work very well, but chances are there will be some sort of defect whether cosmetic or in function.

That being said, there's MANY people on the forums (Camaro5 and Camaro6) who have bought them and have had luck with them. That's why they've had success and thrived where other knock off header brands have failed. Chances are you're going to have to dimple a pipe or two, but that's not a guarantee. If you plan on keeping the car forever IMO, fork over the extra $$ and get a header like ARH, Stainless Works, or Kooks. If you're only going to hang onto the header for 10ish years get a TSP, OBX, or Stainless Power header. If you're a guy who likes to modify and change out cars every few years then Speed Engineering headers are for you. However, if you want/need high flow cats you might as well go with the TSP, OBX, Stainless Power option as it is easier with the "one stop shop" feature because Speed Engineering doesn't sell high flow cats.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
You can only take about 10% of the OP's posts serious. He/she is called out regularly on the 1LE section for troll/ignorant replies.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #19
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
You can only take about 10% of the OP's posts serious. He/she is called out regularly on the 1LE section for troll/ignorant replies.
Funny I just looked back at the OP's original post and they're from California and already have long tube headers apparently. First off I thought they were illegal in California and secondly if they already have long tube headers why the question about Speed Engineering headers? Do they plan on pulling what they have and buying other long tube headers?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #20
TC2018SS1LE

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscentral View Post
I have their 1 7/8" headers w/ x-pipe kit. Had a harder time getting the stock manifolds out than I did getting the headers in. They fit like a glove. My only recommendation is to go with different clamps. the ones that came with the kit kept loosening up on me no matter how tight they were. New clamps are good with no issues in 3 weeks so far I have on them.
Thank you
TC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #21
TC2018SS1LE

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Funny I just looked back at the OP's original post and they're from California and already have long tube headers apparently. First off I thought they were illegal in California and secondly if they already have long tube headers why the question about Speed Engineering headers? Do they plan on pulling what they have and buying other long tube headers?
Any modification of exhaust is illegal here so...
TC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2018SS1LE View Post
Any modification of exhaust is illegal here so...
Just living dangerously huh?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #23
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
short tubes, front cat delete pipes and move the front O2 behind the second cats should work with no code modifications or it even being noticed.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #24
n1njam005e

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Hello all,

There really is a lot of header choices out there. I am a first time new camaro owner and I am overwhelmed with the options. I love my car right now but know it can be better once I get headers and the exhaust swapped out.

I hear from friends near to me that long tube headers are the way to go for torque and to, if possible not to spend less than $2000.00 USD. Well I am in Canada so the $2000.00 USD now becomes $2600.00 - $2750.00 CAD which is quite a bit more.

I would pay 2K USD but I don't know what I am looking for.....

I want a complete exhaust swap with headers.... now if there any actual opinions in this forum that can help guide me please by all means let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance all
n1njam005e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #25
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1njam005e View Post
Hello all,

There really is a lot of header choices out there. I am a first time new camaro owner and I am overwhelmed with the options. I love my car right now but know it can be better once I get headers and the exhaust swapped out.

I hear from friends near to me that long tube headers are the way to go for torque and to, if possible not to spend less than $2000.00 USD. Well I am in Canada so the $2000.00 USD now becomes $2600.00 - $2750.00 CAD which is quite a bit more.

I would pay 2K USD but I don't know what I am looking for.....

I want a complete exhaust swap with headers.... now if there any actual opinions in this forum that can help guide me please by all means let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance all
What type of catback exhaust do you have currently? NPP exhaust from the factory and long tube headers is a great combination, IMO. However, if you have one of the quieter systems then a full exhaust is definitely the way to go. As for long tube headers the sky is the limit on what you want to spend. Here are some forum favorites based off of price range:

Higher priced: Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works
Mid priced: OBX, Texas Speed, Stainless Power
Budget priced: Speed Engineering

It all depends on what you're after. One drawback of the Speed Engineering headers is that they don't sell high flow cats with your headers. If you need/want high flow cats you'll either need to source from someone like Texas Speed or step up to the mid priced headers for a minimal amount more. Otherwise if you don't need high flow cats and are looking for an inexpensive header then Speed Engineering is a good choice. Personally I'm running Kooks with high flow cats with the headers ceramic coated and I couldn't be happier with my choice.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I have a set of jba long tube headers that are coated and have hi flo cats being sent to me, eventually, lol. I don't see many reviews about them for our Camaro, so I'll have a write up in a few weeks, hopefully. Definitely, the cheapest option I could find coated with cats, and they aren't made in China, but Mexico lol! Have good reviews from mustang and for some reason, alot of dodge owners as well.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #27
n1njam005e

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
This is some good advice and chatter.

I have the stock exhaust and everything from factory for my car. I just bought it this past March and have done nothing yet.

I guess I was under a misconception that headers and new exhaust GAVE a modest HP gain?

So all headers and new exhaust do is make it louder? Where do I get my HP gains from then?

I could not even bother with anything other than headers, long tube I assume would be better. Then I could just run stock exhaust?

I also have a CAI cold intake inbound so I guess there is this small HP boost

Thanks all
n1njam005e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I'm not positive, but I think it goes like this. Deleting secondary cats gets you around 5hp, everything behind that, including muffler has no peformance gain when changing for a non fi car. It does make it sound way better though with an aftermarket muffler. I dont think changing the xpipe does much either, but I could be wrong. Then, deleting the main cats get you another 10-15 hp and then headers get about 10hp. Full cat delete with headers is about 25-30 hp. I have not done this yet, I have only read and researched. So this isnt exact, but I believe it pretty close. I think catted headers are 15-20 hp. Without cats, your car will have some rasp, and smell, but, it will be faster! I'm going the high flow cat route, as I dont like smelling my car all the time. Oh yah, long tube headers produce more power in general, and our car already has short headers. Its common belief that the cost of shortie headers are not worth the little peformance gain, so nearly everyone gets long tubes for a better bang for their buck
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote