Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #85
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Doc, this is clearly a labor of love, and in my opinion it's edging ever closer from a quick idea to becoming a serious contender. Also noteworthy is how far it has come since the initial sketch.

I still miss DRL's from the headlights and would make the grille a bit larger to allow more air (ignoring front plate placement, someone can always come up with an aftermarket brace or holder) and the taillights a tad taller. Overall, however, this is already a design that I'd be willing to consider upgrading to. Thanks and keep at it
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #86
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The trunk area is definitely getting a "lighter" feel, like the originals had. Nice.

That's a good thing in this day and age where everything looks like it wants to be bulky/thick-bodied. Thick-body may be a fine look for a truck, but car styling should be lighter and more graceful.
Norm
I COMPLETELY agree. I hate the current trend of huge, thick, bulky backs. They talk about making their cars lighter, then design them to look like army tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Keep at it, Doc. I liked the ridge/step/toggle that ran the length of the sides....I was going to suggest that would be a good spot for a trim strip at the furthest out-board line to absorb door dings from other cars....

Also, I like it having the front license plate. Maybe massage up the front plate area as if the car is made to have a front plate, instead of the terrible look of a front plate on the car that looks completely out of place....Just my $.02..

P.S. And in the trivia department, front plates don't need the year and month sticker...lol
The ridge step along the sides can always be put back. I've been working on trying to do as clean a design as possible, but the sides are on the plain side now that I took out that ridge. I may play around with trying a heat extractor vent on the side behind the front wheels

I totally understand about the front license plate. I'm one of those people that think cars look better without them, but they're a reality in most states. The design I currently have allows for a front plate without blocking airflow. I've thought about something more dedicated like I have on the back, but the looks of the front of a car are far more critical and I don't want to mess it up.

As far as the year and month sticker, that makes it look more official don't ya know lol. I may change the appearance of the plate though so it doesn't look like it's from Crazyfornia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Doc, this is clearly a labor of love, and in my opinion it's edging ever closer from a quick idea to becoming a serious contender. Also noteworthy is how far it has come since the initial sketch.

I still miss DRL's from the headlights and would make the grille a bit larger to allow more air (ignoring front plate placement, someone can always come up with an aftermarket brace or holder) and the taillights a tad taller. Overall, however, this is already a design that I'd be willing to consider upgrading to. Thanks and keep at it
Thank you for the positive comments! The DRL's are in there, I just didn't have them lit up. I've gone to the same design as I did on the back; the housing has a clear lens and inside are a row of white LEDs and amber LEDs. In the daytime, the white ones light up for DRLs. When making a turn, the white ones go off, and the amber ones come on and flash. At night, the white ones are off and the amber ones come on steady for running lights, and double in brightness while flashing as turn signals.

Here are a few pics that show the latest:

A couple without the front license plate:
Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-2.png
Views: 605
Size:  469.3 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-3.png
Views: 594
Size:  410.6 KB

With the front license plate:
Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-4.png
Views: 583
Size:  402.1 KB

With the DRLs on:
Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-5.png
Views: 594
Size:  419.6 KB

With the amber running lights on:
Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-6.png
Views: 615
Size:  410.6 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #87
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
What about something like this? It keeps a bigger greenhouse and most of the proportions but brings back some of the 6th gen refresh styling, since that might be a basis for the 7th gen if there is one.

The design needs a little refining, but I love how it maintains the Camaro's identity. Nice work!
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #88
MARTIN

Drives: Camaro
Kinda looks like an old Plymouth Cuda.......

Old 02-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #89
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
What about something like this? It keeps a bigger greenhouse and most of the proportions but brings back some of the 6th gen refresh styling, since that might be a basis for the 7th gen if there is one.

Love this and would buy. Open up and detail the upper and lower front grills. Love the rear.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #90
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Decided to have a go at RenegadeXR's idea:

Name:  RenegadeXR-1.png
Views: 486
Size:  312.2 KB

When you're starting with a 3/4 front view and that's all you have, it's very difficult to figure out the right 3 dimensional shape to give you the same view that the 3/4 idea view has. Style elements that may look good in the original image, don't necessarily work when you rotate the model to a different viewing angle. In some cases it just doesn't work. As a consequence, I had to make some changes to the lines in the original image to make them work.

Here's where it's at so far:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7 2019.png
Views: 517
Size:  449.6 KB

All I've been working on is the shape of the front, trying to get it as close to Renegade's concept as I could. I had to change the seam line below the upper grille opening a bit, and I moved the ends of the body line below it down, to follow the body line coming up from the side. Obviously it still needs the lower grille opening done, as well as the brake ducts and lights, but so far it's not looking too bad.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #91
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
You are really making great progress. I still think the front and rear can use some refinings, but the overall proportions are pretty cool and remind me of Gen 1 and 2
If I find the time, I will try out some ideas with photoshop
Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #92
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here it is with the lower opening and brake cooling duct openings. These are just blackouts on the body; I haven't actually cut them out. You have to leave enough body below the lower opening to provide some strength so it doesn't deform under air pressure, so that and the brake ducts are just a bit smaller in scale than Renegade's idea image. Also, the area right below the seam line actually does go back like his image; it's just that it's reflecting the white floor so it looks brighter rather than darker like his image does.

What do you think RenegadeXR? So far so good?

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7 2019-1.png
Views: 653
Size:  441.8 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #93
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Personally, I think the upper grille opening should be larger and the lower grille and fog light/brake duct openings should be level in relation to one another.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #94
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
Personally, I think the upper grille opening should be larger and the lower grille and fog light/brake duct openings should be level in relation to one another.
Yeah my eye wants to see them aligned like that too, but this version is me trying to bring Renegade's vision to life. I'll do a variant with the openings aligned that way.

Here it is with the DRL's which were a real pain to create as a 3D object.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7 2019-1a.png
Views: 376
Size:  437.1 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #95
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Got the front pretty much done, although I'm not sure what the plan was for front and side turn signals. RenegadeXR, did you have anything in mind? I have an idea for something if you don't.

I did make the upper front opening slightly bigger, however combined with the lower intake I don't think airflow would be a problem. To my eye the upper intake is just a bit too big, but Renegade had it pretty big and it's his concept.

He also had two horizontal bars for headlights but I don't think LED technology is at the point where that would be legal. I did what Chevy did; a round headlight.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-1.png
Views: 316
Size:  453.4 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-2.png
Views: 353
Size:  387.8 KB

Now to start working on the back.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #96
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I'm starting to dig it Doc. An aggressive front splitter, some type of hood vents (I still like the old IROC style or maybe something based off the 68/69 hood vents), a little more bulge around the rear tire, and some type of rear spoiler would set it off, IMHO.

I'll have to look at something for the hood. That's an area that's been bugging me since I started this whole project, and I still haven't been able to come up with something that looks like it belongs.

Here's where the project is at for the moment:

Did more on the front, various tweaking things. Put in my idea for amber running light/turn signals just above the body seam. Gave the rear fender 'more beef'.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-5.png
Views: 277
Size:  476.1 KB

One with the DRLs on:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-3.png
Views: 300
Size:  466.7 KB

One with them off:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-3a.png
Views: 287
Size:  444.1 KB

Here's where the back is at the moment. Trying to make Renegade's back concept into 3D has proven more difficult than I anticipated. I'm going to create a spoiler and put that on, maybe that'll give this more of a performance look.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-4.png
Views: 298
Size:  449.5 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #97
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Got yer basic retro blade rear spoiler on it. This back is starting to be seriously retro looking which is fine and all, but I'm not so sure it necessarily works with the overall style of this concept. The front is decidedly more modern in style, which I actually prefer here more than the retro look. At this point, from the back it's starting to remind me of Lightning McQueen.

I know Renegade's concept has the separated tail lights, but I've also done one with a single lens.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-6.png
Views: 278
Size:  374.3 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-7.png
Views: 278
Size:  372.6 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7a 2019-8.png
Views: 293
Size:  317.1 KB

What do you guys think? Any preference?

I think I'm going to try and come up with a back that feels more inline with the stying of the front which I think turned out pretty good.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #98
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's an attempt at a more modern style rear, trying to tie in the back with the front and going with a horizontal theme. I'm still trying to keep it Camaro-ish in look and feel though.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7e 2019-0.png
Views: 316
Size:  437.1 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM