Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 10-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
MAK1

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Suspension Upgrade

I just bought a 2018 2SS Convertible. Really loving it.!

This is my first Camaro, in fact it's my first sports car... I just sold my 2015 RAM Limited...

Needless to say, I went from a cream-puff ride to a much stiffer and controlled ride. This car did not come with the magnetic suspension upgrade and I have a feeling that I'm going to need an upgrade sooner than later.

Should I expect this car without that magnetic ride to be stiff and bumpy..?
Should I consider the magnetic suspension upgrade from the dealership.?
Lastly, are there better choices out there.?

I do not plan to track race or run my car that hard. I am looking for a comfortable ride, for travelling etc.

I've owned a few motorcycles where I changed out the suspension and got a much more comfortable ride with better overall performance. Hoping to have good options with this car.

Thanks in advance...
MAK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
I was told you could not upgrade a non mag SS to have the adjustable damping later on.

The mag ride is softer on the touring setting. The non-mag is a better starting point for racing so I was ok with that.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
Gen-X45

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Mag ride isn't offered as an aftermarket product. You might want to check into some aftermarket shocks and strut assemblies but I would imagine for something that would help dampen the ride... you'll pay as much as if you had bought the mag ride in the first place. I've changed out tires, played with air pressures and nothing has made a difference. I didn't buy the mag ride because I don't track my car, when I did the test drive if was on decent roads so I didn't even think the car would have such a harsh ride with a wheel base as long as it does... GM in my humble opinion really missed the mark here. The ride gets so harsh that it shakes the car and within a few weeks you start to hear rattling that I've yet to find a fix for. Don't get me wrong, the cars are really nice but if GM would have just included the mag ride as a standard feature no one would have really thought one way or the other about the added cost because we are already paying a decent amount anyway. It would have just been included, if the OP is old enough, you may recall the passenger side mirrors use to be an option that cost hundreds of dollars. Now, they are common place, Mag ride should have been as well.

Last edited by Gen-X45; 01-20-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Gen-X45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen-X45 View Post
Mag ride isn't offered as an aftermarket product. You might want to check into some aftermarket shocks and strut assemblies but I would imagine for something that would help dampen the ride... you'll pay as much as if you had bought the mag ride in the first place. I've changed out tires, played with air pressures and nothing has made a difference. I didn't buy the mag ride because I don't track my car, when I did the test drive if was on decent roads so I didn't even think the car would have such a harsh ride with a wheel base as long as it does... GM in my humble opinion really missed the mark here. The ride gets so harsh that it shakes the car and within a few weeks you start to hear rattling that I've yet to find a fix for. Don't get me wrong, the cars are really nice but if GM would have just included the mag ride as a standard feature no one would have really thought one way or the other about the added cost because we are already paying a decent amount anyway. It would have just been included, if the OP is old enough, you may recall the passenger side mirrors use to be an option that cost hundreds of dollars. Now, they are common place, Mag ride should have been as well.
Stock SS suspension harsh? Overall I think it’s well damped and sorted out. I’d say it’s even on the soft side. Opinions always vary, but I’m really surprised to hear it described as harsh.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yyz springs ftw best ride and handling out there from springs alone especially on non magride car
Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=gm+84352121

Done.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
maybe there's something wrong with his car or hes driving on speed bumps. i have the 1le suspension and it rides as nice as anything iv been in.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
The Camaro SS is well tuned for a nice ride - FOR A RACE CAR. It is stiff. You guys saying otherwise have gotten used to it (or as I do, really enjoy that type of ride - very connected to the road). It is stiff and bumpy compared to most other cars, but among race spec'd cars, it is a very nice ride. The Mag would have been a good option for you, but since you didn't, I am unaware of anything that'll soften the car from aftermarket. Most aftermarket stuff is designed to bring the Camaro closer to a race car vs. further away from it. You could potentially change out the SS FE3 suspension for the V6 FE2 which would soften it a bit, but again, the cost of doing so would have made opting for the Mag ride a better option. You may be able to find someone willing to swap the parts for no cost for the parts, but you'd still need to account for labor costs unless you're a solid DIY'er.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S

Last edited by Shawnqa800720; 02-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
It will take some time for the Op to get used to the ride characteristics of his Camaro since this is the first sports car he has owned. But I do agree that the standard SS suspension is not a harsh ride and that MRC cannot be added to the car.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
orange blaze
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
long trips no problem

I have a 2017 2SS and we took it all the way down the west coast and back to Canada putting on 6000 miles. Ride is absolutely sweet and the wife said it was better then our SUV. I do not have magnetic ride and plan on lowering it with BMR. You will get used to it.
orange blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
LOL, that's the opposite of comfortable.

To the OP: you have the 2nd softest factory suspension already. The only softer is the base suspension on the 2.0T and V6 'vert models, though there isn't a way to translate it to an SS 'vert without messing up the ride height. You have a proverbial German Sports Car now, not a squishy American truck. Big change. If you wanted an American Muscle couch-on-wheels, that would be a Challenger.

FYI, the vast majority of aftermarket suspension options are to stiffen, not soften.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
JCunningham

i guess i havent been in a cadillac lately. but it rides nicer than our 14 cherokee, 2001 grand cherokee, 04 impala, 2007, 2012, 2017 silverado 1500, and 09 tahoe
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
If you have run-flat tires on your convertible, when you replace them, get standard tires. Run flats have a much stiffer sidewall. You should notice a sizeable improvement in the ride. People do this on a variety of cars that come with OEM run flats: two of my friends with BMW X5's went to standard tires from run-flats, and are very happy with the ride.

I sympathize with your feelings about the ride. When I got my Camaro, I ditched the 20" wheels with run-flats, and got a set of 18's with standard tires (plus an extra set of 18" wheels for track use). For most people changing wheels, I think 19" makes more sense. And if you are only interested in improving the ride, it may not be worth it to buy 19" wheels just to have an extra 1/2" of sidewall to cushion the ride.

If you change from run-flats to standard tires, put a can of fix-a-flat, a patch kit, and a DC-powered air compressor in the trunk under the cargo mat.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
JCunningham

did think about the run flats. i ditched them right after i bought the car.