Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Flow forged vs cast vs OEM

Can someone explain the pros and cons of choosing between flow forged and cast replica wheels? For example, the MRR M650 is a cast replica of the ZL1 wheel and the M017 is a flow forged replica of the 1LE wheel but both are priced within $100 per set. The OEM versions are twice the price of the replicas. I would assume the flow forged could be lighter but is there a difference in strength? Resistance to chipping?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Flow forged=cast<OEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Flow forged=cast<OEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually no, Flow formed is not equal to cast or the same as OEM.

If you want a true understanding I would suggest talking with HRE since they are one of the largest wheel companies to make a top quality wheel using the Flow Forged process.

A Flow forged wheel is stronger than a cast wheel, if it is truly Flow forged. To be honest I would love to see the forging process for the OEM wheels, but I doubt we will even know how they are truly made.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Pretty big topic. Google would help on this one. Lots of info.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
flow forged/formed is not cast lol. Claims to be stronger than cast and much lighter than cast and OEM.

Can't go wrong with flow if you don't wanna break the bank with fully forged. Cast good enough if you just care about aesthetics.
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Thanks guys. I really only drive the car on nice days and I plan on having a dedicated drag setup so I’m leaning towards flow forged but I really do like the ZL1 wheels. Guess Ill watch for deals on OEM take offs if thats the directions I choose.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
Generally speaking,
gravity cast < low pressure cast < flow formed / spin forged < full forged.

Flow formed / spin forged wheels generally start out as a cast wheel, then the barrel of the wheel goes through the flow forming (aka spin forging) process to give it additional strength and lower weight compared to a similar sized cast wheel. The face of the wheel is still cast.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
Generally speaking,
gravity cast < low pressure cast < flow formed / spin forged < full forged.

Flow formed / spin forged wheels generally start out as a cast wheel, then the barrel of the wheel goes through the flow forming (aka spin forging) process to give it additional strength and lower weight compared to a similar sized cast wheel. The face of the wheel is still cast.
This

There's a few cool videos on YouTube of what flow forming looks like
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
Can someone explain the pros and cons of choosing between flow forged and cast replica wheels? For example, the MRR M650 is a cast replica of the ZL1 wheel and the M017 is a flow forged replica of the 1LE wheel but both are priced within $100 per set. The OEM versions are twice the price of the replicas. I would assume the flow forged could be lighter but is there a difference in strength? Resistance to chipping?

Thanks!
First, Flow"FORGED" isn't a thing. It's a cast wheel process, there's nothing "FORGED" about the FlowForming process, that's just mumbo jumbo marketing talk right there. FlowForming on the other hand is a process in which a cast wheel built with a skirt is then hydraulically rolled out to the proper width, which squishes all those aluminum molecules together LIKE a forged wheel, but again NOT forged. This process allows us to use less material because the strength of those molecules together allows us to use less, all while being the same strength as a cast wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxrte View Post
flow forged/formed is not cast lol. Claims to be stronger than cast and much lighter than cast and OEM.

Can't go wrong with flow if you don't wanna break the bank with fully forged. Cast good enough if you just care about aesthetics.
Actually Flowforming is a cast wheel process, you're incorrect there. Deesiel678 made a good post explaining that more, but FlowForming is indeed stronger than your regular Gravity casting or Low pressure cast process. Only thing technically lighter than the FlowForm process would be your fully forged wheels.

FlowFormed wheels start life with a mold built with a skirt, so technically right there we're working with a casting process, not a Forged process. With Forged wheels you have a billet blank that is put into a 4-axis machine for example, and we use specialty drill bits to machine out the design we're looking for. Casting process revolves around a mold, which then has molten aluminum poured into it. Not the same process, but you are correct that FlowForm wheels are great for not ruining your wallet's day.
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Forged - produces a shape w result of TONS of pressure.. not machining. Most cast wheels are machined too.

Although forged wheels are machined to final shape, finish, but BULK of shape is derived under extreme pressures.

Casting - metal in liquid state, picture baking cake in mold

Forging - metal in solid state, picture black smith on industrial scale.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 6.pdf (466.9 KB, 127 views)

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Forged has to start as a liquid.... just saying

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
First, Flow"FORGED" isn't a thing. It's a cast wheel process, there's nothing "FORGED" about the FlowForming process, that's just mumbo jumbo marketing talk right there. FlowForming on the other hand is a process in which a cast wheel built with a skirt is then hydraulically rolled out to the proper width, which squishes all those aluminum molecules together LIKE a forged wheel, but again NOT forged. This process allows us to use less material because the strength of those molecules together allows us to use less, all while being the same strength as a cast wheel.

Actually Flowforming is a cast wheel process, you're incorrect there. Deesiel678 made a good post explaining that more, but FlowForming is indeed stronger than your regular Gravity casting or Low pressure cast process. Only thing technically lighter than the FlowForm process would be your fully forged wheels.

FlowFormed wheels start life with a mold built with a skirt, so technically right there we're working with a casting process, not a Forged process. With Forged wheels you have a billet blank that is put into a 4-axis machine for example, and we use specialty drill bits to machine out the design we're looking for. Casting process revolves around a mold, which then has molten aluminum poured into it. Not the same process, but you are correct that FlowForm wheels are great for not ruining your wallet's day.

I was responding to the earlier member who said "flow form=cast", thanks.

I simply was saying it is not equal or exact which his response indicated to OP.
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote