Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 02-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
PAINT PROTECTION / CERAMIC COATING / BOTH?

I never did anything on my 5th gen, but it didn't have the wide tires sticking out like the ZL1-1LE does.

So my question is for you guys that track your cars. What do you do to protect the car?

What areas do you "protect"?

I just dont know what protection ceramic coating does if any, then what areas need clear bra/ 3m/ suntec/ premium shield / etc.

what do you do to protect your cars finish?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I never did anything on my 5th gen, but it didn't have the wide tires sticking out like the ZL1-1LE does.

So my question is for you guys that track your cars. What do you do to protect the car?

What areas do you "protect"?

I just dont know what protection ceramic coating does if any, then what areas need clear bra/ 3m/ suntec/ premium shield / etc.

what do you do to protect your cars finish?
Ceramic Coating gives you a deep shine, UV Protection and basically replaces waxing... PPF (Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)) protects you from rock chips, etc...

I don't track my 2SS, but I did PPF (Xpel self healing) on the entire front bumper (including lights), full hood, full front fenders and full rockers... Then I had the entire car ceramic coated (they even ceramic over the PPF, which gives UV protection to help the PPF last longer)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Chris357

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red A10
First track event coming up this spring. I applied ceramic coating myself. But for track day I picked up a roll of this stuff, I'll be covering fenders behind the tires and the front end.

https://www.amazon.com/TrackArmour-T...2031471&sr=8-1
Chris357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #4
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
I am doing both!

Just got my ceramic coating done. Once the weather turns nice i am getting the lower rockers covered in PPF. Also doing my headlights.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
KuroOkami

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Ceramic Coating gives you a deep shine, UV Protection and basically replaces waxing... PPF (Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)) protects you from rock chips, etc...

I don't track my 2SS, but I did PPF (Xpel self healing) on the entire front bumper (including lights), full hood, full front fenders and full rockers... Then I had the entire car ceramic coated (they even ceramic over the PPF, which gives UV protection to help the PPF last longer)

I'm looking to do a similar treatment to my 2SS when I get it. I do want to track the car occasionally and I live off of 300 yards of dirt and gravel, so I need the protection. Can you give me a ball park of what it cost to cover and ceramic coat everything like you did?
KuroOkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroOkami View Post
I'm looking to do a similar treatment to my 2SS when I get it. I do want to track the car occasionally and I live off of 300 yards of dirt and gravel, so I need the protection. Can you give me a ball park of what it cost to cover and ceramic coat everything like you did?
It was around $1550 to do all the Xpel PPF (they clay and polish the entire car and then install the PPF). Full front bumper (including lights), full hood, full front fenders, full rockers (up to the seam in front of the rear tires, they remove the factory rock guard), door handle cups and trunk baggage area... I had the CeramicPro Silver package done a week later and that was around $700... I also had them do SunTek 35% tint on all 5 windows... (that was additional)

I live in North County San Diego, if you want a referral to where I went send me a PM, they did really nice work...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris357 View Post
First track event coming up this spring. I applied ceramic coating myself. But for track day I picked up a roll of this stuff, I'll be covering fenders behind the tires and the front end.

https://www.amazon.com/TrackArmour-T...2031471&sr=8-1
Ooh, that looks like a good option
Old 02-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
TLSTWIN

Any one else?

Looks like I might use meguiars "ceramic application" then maybe a couple small areas of permanent ppf, then that "track armor" for "track areas" ...... Not sure, but looks like the direction I might be heading.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
We all on the same page here with ceramic right?

It won't protect your paint from rock Chips, it's not track prep. It simply helps with washing and drying the car, and UV light. Maybe prevent some light scratches from bad wash techniques. It polishes off quite easily with polish and a white pad. If you want protection you need the clear film.

I had ceramic n didint like it. Put on a sealant and IMO the paint just pops way more. Same effort washing and drying too so really I don't see the point of the price difference.

Last edited by Coded4SS; 02-19-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
We all on the same page here with ceramic right?

It won't protect your paint from rock Chips, it's not track prep. It simply helps with washing and drying the car, and UV light. Maybe prevent some light scratches from bad wash techniques. It polishes off quite easily with polish and a white pad. If you want protection you need the clear film.

I had ceramic n didint like it. Put on a sealant and IMO the paint just pops way more. Same effort washing and drying too so really I don't see the point of the price difference.
I think so. Just a "longer lasting, more durable wax" . This is my first time doing it, so we shall see.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I think so. Just a "longer lasting, more durable wax" . This is my first time doing it, so we shall see.
Cool, just managing expectations.

Also follow directly as bottle says, and try to avoid humid or cold days when applying. Good luck man
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
Cool, just managing expectations.

Also follow directly as bottle says, and try to avoid humid or cold days when applying. Good luck man
Thanks,
Ya, I have a heated garage.

I uncovered the car. Washed it good before putting it away last year.

I used meguiars wash and wax spray. Then did the whole car with meguiars hybrid ceramic wax.

Looks good, we shall see. Lol
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I did both as well.

However, if you are doing track or autoX, ceramic does not help that much. If you want protection from tire marbles, cones, rocks, only film will help. I know from experience that it can really protect your paint.

I did the whole front, the Carbon Fiber Heat Extractor, the rockers up to the door crease and the rear bumper.

Some have made the argument that paint respray can be cheaper than the PPF. I don't like the idea of a repaint if I don't have to.

Others have said do the whole car with PPF. I think that is overkill unless it is a very, very expensive car.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote