Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Help! brake pads

I had a weird event where one of my front pads broke and a part of it stuck to the rotor! The car was sitting outside in above freezing (42 degrees when it happened) and rainy weather for three days (Monday evening to Thursday morning). I think we all have had our stock pads stick in wet weather, but this is a first for me on any car. I did check all the pads, front and rear, and it was the inside right front pad. All the pistons and seals look fine. I need to get my rotor turned. What are the torque specs for the caliper bolts? Any special washers or other details about taking these bolts out or putting them in?

FYI: 1300 miles on pads, put them on last May, two track days, well over half the pad left on all the fronts. Only 6700 miles on the car.

I need to get a set of stock front pads and GM Parts Direct is having computer problems and won't take phone orders. Does anybody have an alternate source for the stock pads online? I would like to get them for $300 shipped.

Thank you for helping me out on this.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Never had my pads stick, even below freezing, it also depends how much humidity is in the air when it freezes, that can be what creates ice on the rotor. Rock Auto has stock Delco pads.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Uncle Sam

The Brembos on the SS 1LE tend to stick when wet because of the metal to metal rusting, even for a short while. I think this pad had a crack or flaw as the other three are fine.

I'll check Rock Auto, thanks!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Got mine from Amazon the last 2 times, currently listed for $231:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-171-1...ype=automotive
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
would a brake pad be covered under bumper to bumper warranty for failures.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
Uncle Sam

My car went out of the 3 year warranty a month ago. :(

Technically GM parts have a 12 month warranty and my pads were less than 12 months old. They didn't wear out. But ...

"Oh, you braked from 140 MPH how many times?"

My pads were bedded properly and I had no problems on track or on the road for nine months. It was a freak occurrence. They had (1 pad )/have (3 pads) plenty more than half of the pad material left. I thought I would get 2 more track days out of them at least.

I should try to warranty them "at any GM dealer" as the warranty states. If they had a sense of humor.

Thanks JD, I'll go to Amazon.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Buy the Amazon pads and then try and exchange the defective ones so you have your next set, couldnt hurt to try.

The pad sticking issue is also why I drive my car after every time I wash it.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
would a brake pad be covered under bumper to bumper warranty for failures.

No and never has been. Rotors/Pads are specifically a 'wear and tear' item.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
I had a weird event where one of my front pads broke and a part of it stuck to the rotor! The car was sitting outside in above freezing (42 degrees when it happened) and rainy weather for three days (Monday evening to Thursday morning). I think we all have had our stock pads stick in wet weather, but this is a first for me on any car. I did check all the pads, front and rear, and it was the inside right front pad. All the pistons and seals look fine. I need to get my rotor turned. What are the torque specs for the caliper bolts? Any special washers or other details about taking these bolts out or putting them in?

FYI: 1300 miles on pads, put them on last May, two track days, well over half the pad left on all the fronts. Only 6700 miles on the car.

I need to get a set of stock front pads and GM Parts Direct is having computer problems and won't take phone orders. Does anybody have an alternate source for the stock pads online? I would like to get them for $300 shipped.

Thank you for helping me out on this.
Rock Auto has them for $229

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=537&jsn=537
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #10
Uncle Sam

I went with Amazon for the shipping time.

I live in a townhouse, so my car has been outside for three years. I have had the pads stick a bit plenty of times, but this was a freak occurrence. I never expected something like this.

Could someone give me the torque specs on the front caliper bolts? Also any special instructions, if any. I didn't see anything like needing special fasteners or anything else on the videos I've seen of disassembling the front to get to the rotors off.

Thanks to the community for your help on this.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #11
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post

Could someone give me the torque specs on the front caliper bolts? Also any special instructions, if any. I didn't see anything like needing special fasteners or anything else on the videos I've seen of disassembling the front to get to the rotors off.

Thanks to the community for your help on this.
Go here and for $15 you can get access to the service manuals and bulletins etc. I download and save to a pdf everything I think I need. For the rotor replacement you want the Front brake caliper replacement and Front rotor replacement for J6M. There's even one for rotor refinishing and how to determine if needed.
https://www.repairprocedures.com

The caliper bolts are a SOB to take off unless you're on a lift and then it takes a 2 foot breaker bar. Some have used a high power impact but there's not much room. The bolt can be reused but requires the old thread locker material to be cleaned from the bolt and holes and new thread locker applied.

caliper bolt torque:
First Pass (both): 150 N-m (111 lb ft)
Final Pass: 15-30 degrees
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
My passenger front pad stuck after I washed the car, pulled it directly into the garage, and left it sit for a few days. Had to rev up over 3k rpms just to get the car to move while in gear! Had a terrible vibration from the piece stuck on the rotor to the point I thought I broke something and ended up using some garnet paper from Harbor freight to sand away the bump on the rotor once I found it. No long term issues with the pad/rotor with several track days on them since then.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #13
Uncle Sam

Carguy55:

Thanks for the service link and the torque specs. I had a feeling that these bolts would be "well secured!" I have access to an impact, but I don't have a lift. I thought I wouldn't have enough height for a big breaker bar and it was going to be a bear.

cdrpktrks:

That's my situation with a chunk on the rotor. I am sure I don't need a new rotor as they have only 6700 miles on them. I was going to get it turned just to clean the pad off. I didn't have to rev that high, but it did feel like I left the emergency brake on. It wasn't.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Thankfully I was able to sand with the garnet paper by hand after taking off the wheel without removing the rotor from the car. Hopefully that will work for you too if you haven't removed the rotor yet.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote