Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Track Newbie: Where do I start?

Hi Everyone, I finally want to accomplish my long time goal of starting to track cars. I am at a point in life where I have the financial resources to start this expensive hobby. I purchased a SS 1LE in December of 2019 and it is time to get serious with it, but I am not entirely sure where to start.

As far as getting the car track ready I did some research in the owners manual and on this forum, it looks like the following things need to be done to get the SS 1LE track ready:

1. Camber
Front -2.0 // Rear -1.5
2. Tires
Set cold tire pressure to 28 psi
3. Engine Oil
Switch engine oil to 5W-40 Dexos 2 --> Change after 4 hours of track usage
4. Brake Fluid
Switch brake fluid to DOT 4
5. Flush Rear Diff Fluid
Flush rear diff fluid (AC Delco Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90) before 1st track day and after --> Change after every 24 hours of track usage
6. Helmet

Questions:
- Is there a specific engine oil (brand and type) the track veterans recommend for a SS 1LE?
- The staple for high performance brake fluid seems to be Motul RBF 600 correct?
- How often do I have to change the brake fluid?
- Is there anything else I need to get my car track ready?

As far as picking an actual event I have my eyes set on Chin Track Days event on Mar 29th at Sebring.

Questions:
- Do you have to be a member of the clubs that actually host/organize the events or can you buy "tickets" as a guest?
- I live in Southwest Florida, any recommendations on good Car Clubs that host track days on the tracks in South Florida?
- Is there a website with an overview of all the events that are held at what tracks at what time?
- Is track insurance required / recommended?

I am sure a lot of these questions seem trivial to a lot of you but we all started somewhere!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
Questions:
- Is there a specific engine oil (brand and type) the track veterans recommend for a SS 1LE? You pretty much answered it. I used Motul with my SS1LE but anything meeting the spec works.
- The staple for high performance brake fluid seems to be Motul RBF 600 correct? Castrol SRF is used by many but RBF600 should work also
- How often do I have to change the brake fluid? Once a year with SRF, after every event/2 events with most other fluids, or when you've boiled it a bit.
- Is there anything else I need to get my car track ready? Track insurance unless you want to self insure.

As far as picking an actual event I have my eyes set on Chin Track Days event on Mar 29th at Sebring. Nice. I will *probably* be there. With some car.

Questions:
- Do you have to be a member of the clubs that actually host/organize the events or can you buy "tickets" as a guest? Chin charges an annual fee. PCA doesn't but pretends to care about you being a PCA member. They don't but they pretend like they do. Chin track time is of a much higher quality IMO.
- I live in Southwest Florida, any recommendations on good Car Clubs that host track days on the tracks in South Florida? Chin is most popular. Hagerty, HOD and others also run in Florida. For you PBIR, Homestead and Sebring are all "close". IMO PBIR and Homestead pretty much blow and aren't worth bothering with if you have to drive a few hours anyways....
- Is there a website with an overview of all the events that are held at what tracks at what time? clubregistration.net, motorsportsreg.com, chintrackdays.com for their events
- Is track insurance required / recommended? Up to you. It's all about risk management. Advanced drivers are FAR more likely to crash as they are pushing far harder than a novice will. On the flip side sometimes a novice will have a bigger/more significant brain fart. Track insurance covers the vehicle AND track damage so even if you only do a couple grand of damage to a car you could still have a 10K bill from the track from armco, etc....

I am sure a lot of these questions seem trivial to a lot of you but we all started somewhere!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
My opinions are in-line above...
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
motorsportsreg.com seems to be the best place to find track days in your area as it will show you pretty much every event at every track that is within the distance you select it to search.
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
I recommend Open Track for track day insurance.

As far as setting up the car you seem to be on track...no pun intended.

Just relax and go have some fun. Watch some of my on track videos
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
all sounds good to me i only have a 1ss but i track mine please find response below

Questions:
- Is there a specific engine oil (brand and type) the track veterans recommend for a SS 1LE? i use torco sr1 5w40 but most guys just use the oem mobil 1
- The staple for high performance brake fluid seems to be Motul RBF 600 correct? motul 660 is what i use but alot of guys also use the castrol srf
- How often do I have to change the brake fluid? i do a flush every year or so and most guys bleed the brakes after every event or two
- Is there anything else I need to get my car track ready? bring extra fluids and torque wrench for lugnuts a few places make a tracklist of stuff to bring always good!
Old 01-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Things to bring to the track:

Tire pressure gauge
Water!
Snacks
Glass cleaner + microfiber
Torque wrench and lug socket w/ extension
2 quarts extra oil
Folding chair
Old 01-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
all sounds good to me i only have a 1ss but i track mine please find response below

Questions:
- Is there a specific engine oil (brand and type) the track veterans recommend for a SS 1LE? i use torco sr1 5w40 but most guys just use the oem mobil 1
- The staple for high performance brake fluid seems to be Motul RBF 600 correct? motul 660 is what i use but alot of guys also use the castrol srf
- How often do I have to change the brake fluid? i do a flush every year or so and most guys bleed the brakes after every event or two
- Is there anything else I need to get my car track ready? bring extra fluids and torque wrench for lugnuts a few places make a tracklist of stuff to bring always good!
Castrol is better, Call me crazy but I sweat i had better pedal feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post

Tire pressure gauge
Water!
Snacks
2 quarts extra oil
Folding chair

Good tips!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post

Tire pressure gauge
Water!
Snacks
2 quarts extra oil
Folding chair
+
Hat
Sunscreen
Find out if pants and long sleeves are required
Small air compressor to re-inflate tires at the end of the day
Mechanics gloves
I always bring my jack

I switched to Castrol SRF brake fluid and still do a quick bleed every 1 or 2 events. I run the Valvoline MST 5w-40, but they recently didn't update their formula for Dexos 2 so take that in to consideration.

Make sure you buy an SA2015 rated helmet. SA2020 will be coming out this year and anything older than SA2015 will soon be phased out.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
Dave-ROR

Not sure why no one has listed "Beer for after the event". Seems like a big miss to me.

Also missing in the enclosed trailer with AC.. cause Florida.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Not sure why no one has listed "Beer for after the event". Seems like a big miss to me.

Also missing in the enclosed trailer with AC.. cause Florida.

Thats big baller shit right there lol i remember in my old car once i pulled up to the track and the guy had a brand new z28 camaro with fully enclosed trailer and matching 2500 HD diesel chevy truck and i was like jeez must be nice!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Kevin-
In same boat as you, heading to track for first time this spring (3/21-3/22, Barber w/ Chin Track days). I consolidated HP Owners supplement, track prep guide, forum info, and my prior experience with tracking sportbikes and made a check list and vehicle health log.

I also got some great feedback from @stephen12zl1, @kropscamaro16, @trackclub and others that I incorporated. It's overkill, but I'm an ex-pilot and current engineer. I like checklists and overkill. I'll probably modify it after some better 1st-hand experience. I built this for the ZL1 model, but most of it should carry over to SS/1LE. Perhaps it might help you.
-Tim / TWG1
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZL1 Track Pack & Prep List.pdf (184.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf Vehicle Health Log.pdf (393.9 KB, 48 views)
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)

Last edited by TWG1; 01-23-2020 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thank you everyone for helping out!

motorsportsreg.com was exactly what I was looking for

Would you track veterans says most people run with track insurance or without?

With Motul RBF 600 flush once a year and bleed every 1-2 events, did I understand that correctly?

Quote:
Also missing in the enclosed trailer with AC.. cause Florida
Maybe one day, for now I will be driving my SS to and (hopefully) from the track

@TWG1 - Thank you for that awesome list! I as well like lists and overkill, some might even call it OCD
Too bad Pensacola is f#@!cking far away from Fort Myers. That ZL1 will feel amazing.
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:56 PM   #13
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Thank you everyone for helping out!

motorsportsreg.com was exactly what I was looking for

Would you track veterans says most people run with track insurance or without?

With Motul RBF 600 flush once a year and bleed every 1-2 events, did I understand that correctly?

Maybe one day, for now I will be driving my SS to and (hopefully) from the track

@TWG1 - Thank you for that awesome list! I as well like lists and overkill, some might even call it OCD
Too bad Pensacola is f#@!cking far away from Fort Myers. That ZL1 will feel amazing.

Most people with expensive cars get insurance. I do when I track the Camaro. If I'm tracking the race car, the ITR or the BRZ/FRS I generally don't bother. I don't mind self insuring those...

And if it's hot in March I'll have my trailer with the AC running, feel free to stop by

Too many cars.. never.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #14
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Hi Everyone, I finally want to accomplish my long time goal of starting to track cars. I am at a point in life where I have the financial resources to start this expensive hobby. I purchased a SS 1LE in December of 2019 and it is time to get serious with it, but I am not entirely sure where to start.

As far as getting the car track ready I did some research in the owners manual and on this forum, it looks like the following things need to be done to get the SS 1LE track ready:

1. Camber
Front -2.0 // Rear -1.5
2. Tires
Set cold tire pressure to 28 psi
3. Engine Oil
Switch engine oil to 5W-40 Dexos 2 --> Change after 4 hours of track usage
4. Brake Fluid
Switch brake fluid to DOT 4
5. Flush Rear Diff Fluid
Flush rear diff fluid (AC Delco Dexron LS Gear Oil 75W-90) before 1st track day and after --> Change after every 24 hours of track usage
6. Helmet

Questions:
- Is there a specific engine oil (brand and type) the track veterans recommend for a SS 1LE?
- The staple for high performance brake fluid seems to be Motul RBF 600 correct?
- How often do I have to change the brake fluid?

As far as picking an actual event I have my eyes set on Chin Track Days event on Mar 29th at Sebring.

Questions:
- Do you have to be a member of the clubs that actually host/organize the events or can you buy "tickets" as a guest?
- I live in Southwest Florida, any recommendations on good Car Clubs that host track days on the tracks in South Florida?
- Is there a website with an overview of all the events that are held at what tracks at what time?
- Is track insurance required / recommended?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Congratulations on the 1LE, you will love it on track, they really are fantastic. Getting the car ready is easy, driver not so much. I'm sure others will provide insights as well on the driver topic. Since you are a beginner most likely you are going to have an instructor on track with you. My advice is, first of all, don't drive over your comfort level, the instructor might try to push you, don't do it until your comfortable. Next piece of advice, if you don't have good chemistry with the instructor ask for another. You aren't hurting anyone's feelings, again you need to be comfortable which means you are staying within your current limits and this translates into being safe on the track, which is most important.

Finally, whichever track you decide to run, go watch videos to get a better understanding of what to expect and become familiar with the proper line. All the other stuff like braking points, corner entry speed, exit speed, track out point, when to downshift...etc Will be secondary to consistently staying on the proper line. Once you have this mastered these other details will be the next areas to master. Good luck out there and let us know how it goes!
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote