Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 IOM
Unhappy I have a little problem...

Hello C5, I have a little problem... This past Friday I had my BA door speakers replaced with JL TR650-CSi components at a local stereo shop due to the drivers side factory BA being blown and I am EXTREMELY underwhelmed by them. I've rode around with them installed for a few days now and they just don't pack the punch the BA's did for the type of music I listen to, nor do they mesh well with the factory rears at all. Honestly without making excuses, I didn't do my homework with this and may have dropped the ball. What impacted my decision in the first place to go with the JL's was really the build quality of the BA's, being that this is the second time a speaker that had to be replaced in less than a year (first replaced under warranty). Now... This shop claims the factories had to be cut out in order for the new speakers to be put in, so I'm not sure that I could go back to the BA's even if I wanted too :(

Where do I go from here?
ALLHAILFRANKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
If I understand correctly, the stock speakers are 2ohm speakers, and most aftermarket speakers (yours included) are 4ohm speakers. That means you are only pushing about half the power to your new speakers as you were to the stock ones (which is why you are underwhelmed). To fix that, you could either return to stock BA speakers (if its possible), change your aftermarket speakers to some 2 ohm speakers, or upgrade your factory BA amp.

Until then, you might try changing your stereo's settings to "fade" towards the front a little bit, see if that helps temporarily.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
I agree, Those speakers should sound way better than the BA speakers. Your issue is probably not the speakers but the amp in the car. You should definitely look at replacing the factory amp. You don't need a huge amp to get better sound, but I do recommend you get a 5 channel in case you want to add a sub later.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Agreed...JL's like power....new amp needed......a Jl xd400 fits perfectly....look here for several of us that use it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Did the Local Stereo shop check to see what the ohmage was of the stock units before replacing them?? Long star is right, about the wrong ohmage can cause what seems like a loss of volume. If this is the case your local stereo shop should replace the speakers for the correct ohmage.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
If I understand correctly, the stock speakers are 2ohm speakers, and most aftermarket speakers (yours included) are 4ohm speakers. That means you are only pushing about half the power to your new speakers as you were to the stock ones (which is why you are underwhelmed). To fix that, you could either return to stock BA speakers (if its possible), change your aftermarket speakers to some 2 ohm speakers, or upgrade your factory BA amp.

Until then, you might try changing your stereo's settings to "fade" towards the front a little bit, see if that helps temporarily.
You know I never even gave the ohmage a thought before you mentioned it (been out of the audio game for a while now lol), but you really hit the nail head sir! Going into this my only intentions were to replace my busted speaker with a better built component that sounds equal or better than my previous ones, without touching the factory amp. Now my problem is with the shop. After telling them exactly what I wanted, these are the speakers they recommend. I even asked them would they be underpowered by my factory amp and was told they would be just fine.

*sigh* Anyways... I really appreciate the help man! Went back to the shop earlier today and have an appointment for monday to try and fix this... Your awesome, your car is even better than your awesomeness! Mean stance!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
As others have said, it's the 2 vs 4 ohm. Get a ******** harness and a xd400/4 or xd 700/5 if you ever plan on adding a sub. Also, don't be afraid of the install guide on doing rear speakers yourself. It's straight forward and way easy. Did it on my ZL1 the day after I got it.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
I agree, Those speakers should sound way better than the BA speakers. Your issue is probably not the speakers but the amp in the car. You should definitely look at replacing the factory amp. You don't need a huge amp to get better sound, but I do recommend you get a 5 channel in case you want to add a sub later.
Really wasn't looking to go that route BUT as I told Lone Star, I have an appointment for monday so we'll see what happens. Appreciate your recommendation!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Agreed...JL's like power....new amp needed......a Jl xd400 fits perfectly....look here for several of us that use it.
Will do, thanks for the help! Those Vossens are sitting pretty sir, me likey!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
Did the Local Stereo shop check to see what the ohmage was of the stock units before replacing them?? Long star is right, about the wrong ohmage can cause what seems like a loss of volume. If this is the case your local stereo shop should replace the speakers for the correct ohmage.
If they did check, they checked horribly and apparently during my visit to the shop earlier today, I learned (or was told) that JL doesn't make 2 ohm speakers for what I'm looking to replace. Had I known that I would have definitely went with a replacement factory BA speaker at my chevy dealership from the jump. Will see how they can correct this monday...
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post
As others have said, it's the 2 vs 4 ohm. Get a ******** harness and a xd400/4 or xd 700/5 if you ever plan on adding a sub. Also, don't be afraid of the install guide on doing rear speakers yourself. It's straight forward and way easy. Did it on my ZL1 the day after I got it.
I'll take note of this... When I do finally feel the itch (or have the money) to upgrade my system, I'm sure this will come handy! ZL1 huh? ENJOY IT!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Also, if they end up allowing you to swap speakers, JBL i believe, makes some 2 ohm speakers that have pretty good reviews.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #13
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLHAILFRANKOS View Post
You know I never even gave the ohmage a thought before you mentioned it (been out of the audio game for a while now lol), but you really hit the nail head sir! Going into this my only intentions were to replace my busted speaker with a better built component that sounds equal or better than my previous ones, without touching the factory amp. Now my problem is with the shop. After telling them exactly what I wanted, these are the speakers they recommend. I even asked them would they be underpowered by my factory amp and was told they would be just fine.

*sigh* Anyways... I really appreciate the help man! Went back to the shop earlier today and have an appointment for monday to try and fix this... Your awesome, your car is even better than your awesomeness! Mean stance!
No problem! I think I only realized it because I've been researching thoroughly, trying to figure out how to go about making my stereo better (will add a sub/amp this week). Thanks for the compliments!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Just a note:

Infinity makes pretty decent kits that are 2 ohm. I have the Infinity 60.9cs installed in my wife's Saturn Vue and they are pretty nice. I have always been super impressed with mid-bass that they can crank out.

Best of luck!
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, disappointed, jl audio, tr650-csi