Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #141
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
[QUOTE=2cnd chance;7118476]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post

51-49=2
I guess it wasn't that simple......Just saying
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #142
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
[QUOTE=RazorZL1;7118841]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

I guess it wasn't that simple......Just saying
Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #143
ffcars

Drives: 2013 Zl1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I know I would catch hell in the Corvette forums but the Z06 in my opinion is not the greatest track car. It is light and it does accelerate and corner well... but it is kind of unruly at the limit, I'm sure if I do a little searching I can find others besides myself that have observed this.... Since the purpose of a track car is to drive it at the limits it is just not quite as fun when you go home and feel like you have been in a cage fight.... That is why I don't have a Z06 right now, I prefer the ZL1 with some mods... If the Z/28 is as controllable it will be a big improvement over the last gen Z06.
That's BS. I had a 2006 Z06 and it was a very easy car to drive at track days. I could turn on the A/C, listen to XM and dust anything that was on the track with me.

You can almost drive it with 1 hand.
ffcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #144
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
[QUOTE=2cnd chance;7118476]
Quote:

51-49=2
Okay special.

Let me type slowly... 51% up front(ZL1) versus 50% up front(z28) is a 1% difference. UN-DER-STAND?

Like I said in a previous post, some of the "special intelligent" wandered here from the Z28 forums, and they brought their condescending attitudes and, apparently, poor math skills.

So sad, when how you are so eager to put someone down and make yourself look ignorant in the process. Please type more silly things to amuse me.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 10-23-2013 at 09:51 PM.
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #145
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcars View Post
That's BS. I had a 2006 Z06 and it was a very easy car to drive at track days. I could turn on the A/C, listen to XM and dust anything that was on the track with me.

You can almost drive it with 1 hand.
Not exactly accurate for everyone, My C6 Z06 was a handful at the limit. It always felt as if the tail was going to spin around out of control when pulling over high speed 1G. Some might handle that stress better than others. I DO believe the Z06 is the faster track car in the right hands, but the ZL1 makes it so damn easy to do over 1 G all day and not stress out. Hell, you can set it in PTM4 or 5 and rail it in hard, swinging the tail out without that feeling of "oh shit, I am gonna lose it!"
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #146
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

Few hundred? More like 42lbs. Simple math. 1% more up front. 1% of 4200lbs is 42lbs. So, 42 more lbs up front.
[QUOTE=NightmareZL1;7120592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

Okay special.

Let me type slowly... 51% up front(ZL1) versus 50% up front(z28) is a 1% difference. UN-DER-STAND?

Like I said in a previous post, some of the "special intelligent" wandered here from the Z28 forums, and they brought their condescending attitudes and, apparently, poor math skills.

So sad, when how you are so eager to put someone down and make yourself look ignorant in the process. Please type more silly things to amuse me.
You were discussing the ZL1's weight distribution. Please reread your own post above.

You can't compare percentages between 2 different weighing cars without considering the weight difference itself.

With that said I'll leave you to your...bliss.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #147
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
[QUOTE=NightmareZL1;7117828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
From what I have read, it's 51/49 but that still is a few hundred pounds more over the front that the tires have to control.

Few hundred? More like 42lbs. Simple math. 1% more up front. 1% of 4200lbs is 42lbs. So, 42 more lbs up front.
The ZL1 has, based on my math, almost 200 lbs more on the nose than the Z/28. That will add a lot more stress on the tires in turns. That extra stress will tear up the soft tires even faster than the Z/28 does.

Quote:
I was banned for not agreeing with all the koolaid drinking Z28 fanboys who were adamant that the Z28 would have a sub 7:30 time at the Ring.

I got banned for calling retarded individuals retarded, because they would not entertain any discussion that did not support "the Z28 doing a 7:23" or "the Z28 being faster than a Z06."

If I made any type of logic based arguments, my received response would always be, "nope - wrong. no, wrong. no way, it is gonna have rocket booster and can fly to the moon, it's gonna have a super version of the Z06 motor, you'll see. or tires are a mod! no no, don't touch the tires, it was designed for those tires" REALLY?! Put down the koolaid.

I guess some of those special individuals wandered over to the ZL1 forum.

Welcome.

Again, I will not entertain silly, stubborn negativity that lacks any experience or logical reasoning. The "because Gm said so" doesn't work here.

No, you got banned for your behavior right now. You are so mad that people think the Z/28 may be better than your ZL1 on the track that it is your mission in life to prove them wrong.

The Z/28 will run a faster time than the 7:37 it ran because that was done with poor track conditions. Will it break into the 7:20s? I doubt it but Al O. said it will hit 7:31 and I believe it.

Do we really need to go over the tire thing again? You can't accept the fact that the Z/28 has better tires for handling than the ZL1 and GM did that for a specific purpose. GM did not do that for the ZL1 and to change that would change the entire comparison. If ZL1 gets better tires then the Z/28 should get heads, cam and long tubes to make up for the power differential.

Did you even read the quote I posted from JusticePete? Maybe you should before you spout off about the tires again.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #148
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
You are talking about the weight of each vehicle don't forget the downforce.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #149
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

[QUOTE=Bhobbs;7121879]
Quote:

The ZL1 has, based on my math, almost 200 lbs more on the nose than the Z/28. That will add a lot more stress on the tires in turns. That extra stress will tear up the soft tires even faster than the Z/28 does.

No, you got banned for your behavior right now. You are so mad that people think the Z/28 may be better than your ZL1 on the track that it is your mission in life to prove them wrong.

The Z/28 will run a faster time than the 7:37 it ran because that was done with poor track conditions. Will it break into the 7:20s? I doubt it but Al O. said it will hit 7:31 and I believe it.

Do we really need to go over the tire thing again? You can't accept the fact that the Z/28 has better tires for handling than the ZL1 and GM did that for a specific purpose. GM did not do that for the ZL1 and to change that would change the entire comparison. If ZL1 gets better tires then the Z/28 should get heads, cam and long tubes to make up for the power differential.

Did you even read the quote I posted from JusticePete? Maybe you should before you spout off about the tires again.
Tires, Track tires can take sustained track abuse. Street tires will not take sustained track abuse. It only takes one lap to post a time. Or two, if you account for heating up the tires. I'm sure those Trofeos will hold up just amazingly - yeah, they are a different size than the Z28's, so what, they make those tires in our size too. I prefer the Pilot super sports that many ZL1 drivers currently use instead of the Goodyear SuperSLICKS. Those Pilots are twice the traction of the Goodyears we got with the car. You have never driven the ZL1 with it's horrible tires. PTM modes make them manageable, but without it, they are slippery - COLD or HOT weather. Stability wise, great - probably the carbon fiber sidewalls - which the pilots and trofeos have too.

As for my being banned from the Z28 LALA land. I got banned for calling certain "smart" persons retards. Because they said things that, in my not so humble opinion, sounded pretty retarded to me.
My behavior of not agreeing with people in a forum, is exactly what forums are for. I don't have an interest in your or GM's Kool aid. But, you guys enjoy.

Since the things said by GM are the only things you believe, ask them to give you ZL1/Race tire Track times at GM's test track. Or ask them why won't they tell you such times. Or ask them to perform a simple thing like pop some sticky rubber on a ZL1 and run it around their track. Bet you won't get a response, Bet they already know the times. In the middle of this thread F bod Dude made a little comment on this discussion. He didn't mention a thing about the tires, which were a huge, if not the biggest issue here. Why would he ignore the GIANT elephant in the room.
I speculate, because to do so he would have to admit the Z28 wasn't much faster than the ZL1 on their track - and hurt their New Z28's marketing. Or, he would have to falsely say the tires made no difference, and then a Online reviewer will do a head to head comparison and make GM look like liars. Best PR move - Ignore the Giant elephant and let all speculate. They can't be crucified for what they never said.

Someone please remind me which year it was where the C4 Camaro (Z28?) actually outperformed its contemporary, the C4 corvette, but GM decided not to use that very significant feat in their marketing, for fear (speculation) of hurting corvette sales. That fact could have helped save the C4 camaro, but It was probably doomed already from a history of poor sales.

GM will never verify or advertise information that would take away from the hype of the Coming Z28. All I see is hype, though. Equal tires will show how they really stack up, and though the Z28 will nudge out a win, I think it won't be by much.

You can have your opinion. This is mine.
It is humorous that you people continue to argue over a point that you cannot prove, by saying, "GM said so" What else do you think they are going to say?!
Search the ZL1 forum - foreign territory, I know - you will find a few people who have changed tires and drastically improved their track times. It is Factual and proven. Often about 3 seconds faster on tracks much shorter than "green hell" I myself know that better tires improve our performance 10 to 15%.

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 10-25-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #150
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

[QUOTE=2cnd chance;7121773]
Quote:

You were discussing the ZL1's weight distribution. Please reread your own post above.

You can't compare percentages between 2 different weighing cars without considering the weight difference itself.

With that said I'll leave you to your...bliss.
I concede, you are correct that I did not consider the weight difference between the two cars.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #151
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
I want to see Chevy succeed with this car, but I am interested to see just who will buy one over a ZL1 or a Z06. It seems that the platform from which to work to make either car faster comes better suited in the ZL1. In the end, men are driven by horsepower and 505 HP over 580 is a tough sell. It would be for me at least. Chevy really hit a home run with the ZL1 as they are about to find out when these cars are placed side by side on the showroom floor. But then again one of the greatest tricks in marketing is making the customer believe less is more.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #152
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Lol seriously. As a ZL1 owner, I want the Z/28 to spank my car around a track. Some people in here really should open their eyes and see that there's nothing wrong with something being better than what you have. I got spanked in the 1/4 by the ugliest fox mustang ever. But he had so much under the hood. Did I rant and rave? Nope. Just be happy the big three are still making fast in your face cars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #153
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I still dont think the z28 and zl1 are going to be cross shopped against one another.

the z/28 is going to be more exclusive than the zl1 is.

they are aimed at two different buyers..
ZL1s are like, "heres some beautiful cake, go ahead and eat it too if you would like"

Z/28 rams it down your throat and tells you seconds...
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #154
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
I want to see Chevy succeed with this car, but I am interested to see just who will buy one over a ZL1 or a Z06. It seems that the platform from which to work to make either car faster comes better suited in the ZL1. In the end, men are driven by horsepower and 505 HP over 580 is a tough sell. It would be for me at least. Chevy really hit a home run with the ZL1 as they are about to find out when these cars are placed side by side on the showroom floor. But then again one of the greatest tricks in marketing is making the customer believe less is more.
The badge alone will drive the sales initially

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote