Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #15
LsSwapit

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Welcome to the rabbit hole. It's worth it though when you gap a hellcat.
Definitely excited to gap hellcats
LsSwapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #16
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I'm not sure you would want to run that old afm cam even if you could it's really that bad. You would probably be better off to go with a cam designed for boost right now even if you don't do the turbos yet and yes you can keep the vvt in a new cam choice. But if you can do the cam and turbos at the same time you'll save money on the tuning.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
L99MARO
#teamGPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LsSwapit View Post
I can add all of those and still keep my stock VVT cam? and would you still recommend the melling oil pump since my AGP kit came with a oil scavenge pump?
The stock cam is an afm cam, and no you would have to change the cam, whether you wanna keep vvt is up to you, I'd keep it though, I did and many others do
L99MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #18
LsSwapit

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99MARO View Post
The stock cam is an afm cam, and no you would have to change the cam, whether you wanna keep vvt is up to you, I'd keep it though, I did and many others do
Thanks for all the help guys, Would you recommend the TSP or GPI cam package then or should I go for a custom cam?
Old 05-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
L99MARO
#teamGPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys, Would you recommend the TSP or GPI cam package then or should I go for a custom cam?
Custom will always be a bit better but there are a many great off the shelf cams, I went with the GPI VVT SS1 cam, I love it, makes great power, pulls for days and you can use your stock torque converter with it, and it sounds awesome.
L99MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:25 PM   #20
morepowerjoe

Quote:
I went with the SS1 Camshaft from GPI as well. It's a really great cam but if I had it to do over again I would go with the TSP Stage 2 or 3 Camshaft because they make so much more torque. But to do one of those cams you would have to change your torque converter. That's what's good about the GPI cam is you can use your stock converter.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 05-20-2021, 10:56 PM   #21
LsSwapit

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I went with the SS1 Camshaft from GPI as well. It's a really great cam but if I had it to do over again I would go with the TSP Stage 2 or 3 Camshaft because they make so much more torque. But to do one of those cams you would have to change your torque converter. That's what's good about the GPI cam is you can use your stock converter.
Will that cam work with my twin turbos or is it a NA only cam? I would love to purchase a shelf cam if there is one compatible with the turbos and VVT.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #22
morepowerjoe

As far as I know it's a boost friendly cam with vvt. But just to be sure I'll let one of the veterans on here confirm that

Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #23
morepowerjoe

This is probably more in the lines on what you want https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...urbo-camshaft/

Old 07-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #24
Hcd3ss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/RS
I put 90k miles on my L99 with an agp kit running around 8lbs. Before I did anything at all inside the engine. Then when I did I kept all the vvt stuff, swapped only the dod lifters and installed a oem L9H cam. Works great.
Hcd3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #25
Hcd3ss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/RS
I am going back into my engine tho.. just for full transparency.. but it was an oversight on my part that caused this, nothing to do with the setup.. also, when I am in the engine I think I will do the 1 bolt to 3 bolt conversion on the cam.. and swap the front cover, etc.. and I’ll likely use a sloppy stage 2 cam.. almost everyone makes them and you can find them cheap. Also, regarding cams.. whatever cam overs the numbers, feel, powerband, or whatever it is that you’re looking for in a cam.. will also net the same results once paired with a power adder.. ESPECIALLY a turbo. So the cam that makes the most power NA will (95+% of the time) also make the most power once turbo is added.. I’ll probably catch some heat for saying that, but unless someone can show me evidence otherwise.. that’s my feelings on cams.
Hcd3ss is offline   Reply With Quote