Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
LsSwapit

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS TT
Question Questions about L99 Build

Hey guys I just recently picked up a AGP twin turbo kit for my 2010 ss (L99) that has 90k miles, My first question is should I wait to install the kit until I build the top end or should it hold up fine for a while stock even with 90k miles until I can afford to build the whole top end?
Second question is can I replace just the weak AFM lifters with LS7 lifters alone or do I have to do the whole LS3 conversion along with it (Pushrods, valve springs, cam, etc.)?
I purchased a Zl1 fuel pump and a BAP so I am not worried about fueling or cooling just the lifters, I am eager to install the kit even if I have to stay at low boost at first but if it's still a huge risk with the AFM lifters then I would rather wait to build the top end first. Thoughts?
LsSwapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LsSwapit View Post
Hey guys I just recently picked up a AGP twin turbo kit for my 2010 ss (L99) that has 90k miles, My first question is should I wait to install the kit until I build the top end or should it hold up fine for a while stock even with 90k miles until I can afford to build the whole top end?
Second question is can I replace just the weak AFM lifters with LS7 lifters alone or do I have to do the whole LS3 conversion along with it (Pushrods, valve springs, cam, etc.)?
I purchased a Zl1 fuel pump and a BAP so I am not worried about fueling or cooling just the lifters, I am eager to install the kit even if I have to stay at low boost at first but if it's still a huge risk with the AFM lifters then I would rather wait to build the top end first. Thoughts?
I'm not sure you can safely run boost with the afm. I don't know how your tuner could tune for that. And as for the top end stuff you don't have to do a ls3 swap unless you want to because you can delete the afm and keep your vvt. That being said you would have to pick out a new camshaft with valve springs, pushrods, lifters, and you should really do a trunnion upgrade on your rockers. I'm sure someone on here will say weather or not you could run boost with the afm.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
You can run boost with the factory crappy lifters, but i wouldnt want to. Change them out first. The afm lifters are crap
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
LsSwapit

So change the lifters, cam, valve springs, pushrods, and trunnion upgrade before attempting to run it stock at low boost for even a couple weeks only then? I'm assuming with that many changes I wouldn't be able to limp mode it to a tuner I would have to get it towed at that point?
Old 05-19-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
So change the lifters, cam, valve springs, pushrods, and trunnion upgrade before attempting to run it stock at low boost for even a couple weeks only then? I'm assuming with that many changes I wouldn't be able to limp mode it to a tuner I would have to get it towed at that point?
Correct. I'm not sure that you would want to run it with those lifters in it your just asking for trouble. And you could buy everything from gpi or probably even better Texas Speed and they can do a remote tune for you through email.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
It would be the best thing for your car honestly. I built my motor 2 winters ago and had it remotely tuned by Ryan at GPI. I then added a blower and fueling this last winter and had Ted Jannetty remote tune
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
You can run boost with the factory crappy lifters, but i wouldnt want to. Change them out first. The afm lifters are crap
^^^^ This for certain! Get those crappy AFM lifters outta there!! They are the weakest link in the L99 engines. You might not have any issues, BUT, I wouldn't take the chance to find out..
Old 05-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
11-Camaro

Drives: 11 Camaro SS, Ninja 1000, Santa Fe
Consider torque converter as well. You will be grateful that you did (if not already).
11 Camaro TT SS. 14 1LE motor, full coilover, CNC ported LSA heads, stainless valves, dual springs, Comp 224 cam, Melling oil pump, AGP Garrett GTX30r's, 1400cc injectors, full 3" Magnaflow, dual Walbro 450lph fuel pump, ZL1 6L90 trans, trans cooler, Circle-D 3600, 3.91:1 Eaton Truetrac, line lock, Lingenfelter 2 step. Current boost - e85 814 RWHP.
11-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Definitely change them lifters out !! You wouldn’t want one to collapse and potentially ruin your cam , then there’s more money your gonna end up throwing at it ..

I know you said you had your fueling done but I don’t agree your gonna need some new injectors .

Then your tuner will be one of the most important aspects to your build especially with a tt kit , you will also need a tranny tune , if the guy doesn’t know what he’s doing you mine aswell as go ahead and kiss your tranny good bye lol usually spits out 3rd gear . Just some more things for you to think about .

Are you planning on running on 93? Or run some e 85? Meth helps a lot aswell for keeping temps on check and keeping your octane levels up.

Also with a tt kit I’d assume your power band will be moved up so a torque converter will
Help a lot plus you’ll need a tranny cooler to keep the tranny happy with a new tc high stall
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #10
LsSwapit

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna get those lifters out of there then before putting the turbos on. To my knowledge there is no way to replace just the lifters alone is there? I have to change the cam, springs, etc. with it? If that is the case should I get a custom cam then? As for Risingson's response, I forgot to mention I also purchased 85lb injectors so I should be fine there and my AGP kit came with trans cooler lines so should be fine on trans temps. I plan on running 93 and adding meth/torque converter over time once I have enough saved up for those. For right now though I want to get the turbos on as quickly as I can while still being reliable.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna get those lifters out of there then before putting the turbos on. To my knowledge there is no way to replace just the lifters alone is there? I have to change the cam, springs, etc. with it? If that is the case should I get a custom cam then? As for Risingson's response, I forgot to mention I also purchased 85lb injectors so I should be fine there and my AGP kit came with trans cooler lines so should be fine on trans temps. I plan on running 93 and adding meth/torque converter over time once I have enough saved up for those. For right now though I want to get the turbos on as quickly as I can while still being reliable.
Always measure you pushrods !!

Rabbit hole! Heads have to come off . Mine aswell upgrade to ls9 head gaskett arp head studs abd more while your down there lol.. if a cam yes change springs and valve seats retainer “well” depending on the lift of the cam but why wouldn’t you upgrade it anyways , piece of mind means a lot of me . Trunnion upgrade oil pump etc.. sorry for short reply just don’t have enough time to put the list for you right now .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
L99MARO
#teamGPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I highly recommend, LS7 lifters, LS2 dampener, new timing chain more specifically katech c5.r chain, push rods, trunnion upgrade smith brothers or CHE, and melling oil pump
L99MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Welcome to the rabbit hole. It's worth it though when you gap a hellcat.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
LsSwapit

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99MARO View Post
I highly recommend, LS7 lifters, LS2 dampener, new timing chain more specifically katech c5.r chain, push rods, trunnion upgrade smith brothers or CHE, and melling oil pump
I can add all of those and still keep my stock VVT cam? and would you still recommend the melling oil pump since my AGP kit came with a oil scavenge pump?