#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2023, 08:03 PM   #1
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Epic Wheel Failure

This probably belongs in the Wheels forum, but I am looking for anyone that has had a similar experience after powder coating their wheel.

I got my ZLE wheels powder-coated bronze to change up my track theme this year. They looked so fricken good and after pickup, I immediately went to my tire people to install some fresh rubber. After seating the tires, the metal began to bulge. Something went wrong in the coating process and significantly weakened the wheel. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking. Any thoughts or advice from those smart on metallurgy? Obviously, that wheel is toast, I don't think I will trust the other wheels to do track duty. I guess the powder coating rumors may be true!

This puts a huge crimp on my One Lap of America prep though!
Attached Images

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Not any authority but, I would quess too hot of heat in the baking process.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Yep. They cooked those puppies.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:02 PM   #4
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
That is because of a bad powder coater. Those wheels are destroyed.

You should never powder wheels if you plan on tracking. It can weaken the wheels.

You should only ever paint the wheels. Any competent body shop can paint wheels.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #5
onelfastlride

Drives: Camaro
From memory, I spoke with a materials engineer about a set of BC Forged rims, the take away was he strongly recommended against powder coating forged aluminum rims. He even mentioned a friends race team that had multiple rim failures. After, they consulted him it was discovered they had powder coated multiple sets of rims.

The links below may not directly apply to the material composition of the factory forged rims, but it gives a general idea.

Section 2.) Defining Thermal Stability of Structural Materials and Aluminum. “ At temperatures above 150 °C, the alloy suffers a loss in strength with deterioration increasing over time. Above 200 °C, the weakening is substantial, and is accompanied by some gain in ductility.” This may not be the exact temperatures for these forged wheels, but perhaps in the range and provides general information about aluminum alloys.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...in%20ductility.

Then look up at which temperatures powder coating is baked. Again in general, “ Powder coating ovens must be able to sustain temperatures of 450°F and the oven will need to be large enough to fit all the powder-coated objects inside.” 450 F = 232 C.

Putting the pieces of information together, you can possibly see what happened in this case.
onelfastlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Whoever did the powder coating must not have a lot of experience doing wheels.

Forgeline powder coats their wheels and says if done correctly it provides a superior finish to paint. See post #6 in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ls-please.html

I believe custom-color HRE wheels are also powder coated.

I had the OEM wheels from my 2013 ZL1 powder coated by Wheel Medic (one of the recommended shops by Forgeline) here in Columbus and never had a problem. Granted, I never tracked my ZL1. My only complaint was the gloss finish made it easy to create swirl marks if not properly cleaned.

I think I would go back to the powder coater and demand some compensation for destroying your wheels.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I officially despise powder coating after dealing with it chipping, abnormally fading and just looking generally stupid after it's all said and done.

For your next set of wheels, traditional paint is the only way to go, especially when you are talking about the track where any modifications you can make can either make you or break you while you are in the beginning, middle, or end of your course.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:26 PM   #8
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
This probably belongs in the Wheels forum, but I am looking for anyone that has had a similar experience after powder coating their wheel.

I got my ZLE wheels powder-coated bronze to change up my track theme this year. They looked so fricken good and after pickup, I immediately went to my tire people to install some fresh rubber. After seating the tires, the metal began to bulge. Something went wrong in the coating process and significantly weakened the wheel. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking. Any thoughts or advice from those smart on metallurgy? Obviously, that wheel is toast, I don't think I will trust the other wheels to do track duty. I guess the powder coating rumors may be true!

This puts a huge crimp on my One Lap of America prep though!
Wow! Sounds like it happened after both beads were seated? What tires and what PSI did it take to get them to seat? (Kinda wondering if they might have been RE-71RS that took a ridiculous amount of air.)

Hope you have other wheels you can run for One Lap!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Wow. I have never heard of or seen this, but yours is a cautionary tale for anyone who is contemplating powdercoating wheels.

I hope the powdercoating company makes you whole.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:10 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
holy shit and yea ive been told not to powdercoat my wheels to only paint them or some places used a special process or lower temp but wow thats wild...
Old 05-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Forged wheels get their strength from being forged to scramble the crystalline structure. Heating and slow cooling of forged aluminum results in annealing, making the material softer and weaker by aligning the crystaline slip planes.

Possibly there is a temperature/time for powder coating that does not result in annealing, but I would leave that to wheel fabricators, not Shade Tree Powder Coating, Inc.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:53 PM   #12
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Annealing the Aluminum back to an O soft condition. I formed mostly Aluminum and Steel, for 16 years, Aluminum in n the O condition, is very soft and can be formed to the configuration, before it needs to be Heat Treated in a solution of Sodium Nitrate @ around 700 deg. 6061 , 2024 an 7075 all have different times in the solution to reach the T6 condition .
Forged or milled is a lil different, but bottom line here , the heat reverted the Aluminum to the O condition.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:15 PM   #13
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
That's wild.

Recalls my garage efforts of reusing aluminum oil pan gaskets by hitting them w MAPP torch. Dead soft in seconds.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:47 PM   #14
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Thanks for posting this. That could have been bad if at speed on track!