Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
linda53

Drives: 1994 Z28, 2013 2SS/RS
Cracked Windshield - Asking for advice please

Hi everyone. I have a 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS coupe that has a cracked windshield. After reading the various threads on this forum and doing other research online I've decided to use an OEM windshield. The prices I have been getting around town vary from $720 to $895 (before tax). The higher price shop says that it is the Pilkington glass while the lower price one says it's OEM glass but cannot specify if it's Pilkington or not. (Both shops did use the VIN to make the quote). Would I be better off to insist on Pilkington glass? Also the higher price shop told me the cure time on the windshield was one hour because they use a fast dry urethane. Does that even sound right? My car is a garage queen with only 5,000 miles and is perfect in every way so I don't want to screw my car up.

I live in a small town so there are not a lot of shops to choose from. Also I am paying for this and not running it through insurance.

Thanks for any advice. My husband has no interest in this decision so I am trying to do it on my own.

Have a great day,
Dyann in AR ("Land of Orange Barrels")

Last edited by linda53; 08-28-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
linda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Matching the VIN does not insure Pilkington glass. The only way to get Pilkington glass is to insist on Pilkington glass.

Is it worth it? Not sure, but some aftermarket windshields really do look bad. I have had two replacements so far on my 2010, both Pilkington at my request.

Not sure why you are not going through insurance. There should be no impact on your premium for replacing a windshield, and in some states, no deductible, either, although you may have to pay the difference between the Pilkington price and the junk windshield price.

Cure time depends on temperature and humidity. Warmth and humidity accelerate cure time. One hour is the bare minimum under the best of circumstances. But what are you worried about? It's up to you how soon to drive the car. Just make sure that when the windshield is replaced, the side windows are down. When you close the door, internal pressure can be too much for the partially cured adhesive if the windows are closed.
I would wait 2 hours minimum, even on a warm summer day.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
insurance should not penalize you for a no fault accident even if you have a 500 deductible that's still cheaper, shop around. if they harass you I'd find a different insurance company they all will be happy to take your money
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
linda53

The reason I was not going through insurance was because my deductible is $500. I don't know if they would pay the extra for the OEM glass since the car is 5 years old (aftermarket installation cost is about $475). I didn't want to ask the agent because I found out from a recent experience with a homeowners claim that even an inquiry *could* be reported on your C.L.U.E. report as a claim even if you don't file it. (Also, I had two claims in 3 years on HO insurance both weather related and a Ins company would not even write a policy!). Sooooo, that's my rationale. The info about having to specify Pilkington and making sure the windows are down a bit during installation is very helpful!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Its important to get the right glass as you have Heads Up Display and there is a special film in the OEM glass to make sure it projects without distortion. My car had Pilkington glass put in it when mine cracked. Above all make sure its a HUD compatible windshield or the image will be distorted.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Have you done the online search for Safelite AutoGlass repair....

( https://fixmyglass.safelite.com/FixM...&start_type=qq )

I did a quick look using a random Arkansas zip code (72365) and answered the questions about the HUD, etc....

Self pay came up with the attached quote....

Safelite has a lifetime warranty and they come to you.... I've used them many times. Never an issue.... They don't make their own glass so I would bet they use, Pilkington, PPG or Sekurit, all reputable manufacturers. Your dealer probably farms out the work to Safelite. Saves them the trouble and if the glass breaks during installation they are not out the money....
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
mma

Drives: 1LE
as far as i know Pilkington is the same company that did the OEM glass
Pilkington is fine
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes the estimates you got suck, the Safelite is more reasonable and yes it takes a hour when you should not move the car driving after its windshield is set.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Since you have such low mileage, I would go with the original windshield from GM. That is what I would do if something happened to mine.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
linda53

I looked into Safelite but because of negative reviews I saw on other sites as well as various threads on this forum, I didn't seriously consider them. I did price a replacement online and it was almost identical to the quotes I got from local shops. I may contact them to see what the price would be with Pilkington.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments. All are very much appreciated!
Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Please bear with me, because maybe you already checked on this. But if not...

In some states, the deductible on your collusion insurance does not apply to windshields, which are covered in full. That is the case in my state. I also got the Pilkington price covered the 1st time, when my car was less than 3 years old. The second time, I paid the difference.

Are you sure you're not covered for at least the after-market price? In which case you would just pay the difference to get the Pilkington glass.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
linda53

Arkansas is not one of the states that has zero deductible glass coverage unfortunately. Also there aren't any lower deductibles on glass versus other claims covered under comprehensive. Our state insurance commission suggested that a glass "buy-back" might be offered by my insurance company where I can pay a little higher premium to lower the deductible on glass claims only. I'm going to check to see if that's available.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Good call on the Safelite. I think they use Chinese sourced glass which is dubious at best.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Good call on the Safelite. I think they use Chinese sourced glass which is dubious at best.
You think????? Can you prove this, or show where it is relevant...???

Linda and all....

Safelite has a lifetime warranty on their glass.... This I know --- Not "I think.".... I've seen it (the warranty), and acted on it (the warranty) several times as a customer of theirs. In roughly 20 glass purchases from Safelite, I've had one that was replaced due to a de-lamination. This is in South Texas with three to four weeks of over 100 degree days every summer....

Here is a tidbit of information....

There are three different types of auto glass that can be used to replace your windshield: dealer glass, aftermarket glass, and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) glass.

Dealer glass is purchased directly from the auto dealership authorized by the vehicle manufacturer to service your vehicle. This glass is from the same original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that made the glass in your car when it was new.

OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer, means the parts are certified to be genuine manufacturer parts. Like dealer glass, OEM glass will be the same as what came out of your vehicle. Replacing glass with another brand makes no difference at all. Collector cars may want OEM parts to retain originality of the vehicle, for the rest of us all glass is AS-1 certified and is guaranteed to fit correctly every time.

Aftermarket glass is manufactured by companies that contract directly with car manufacturers. As such, aftermarket glass is made to the exact same specifications as OEM or dealer glass but is considered to be “original equipment equivalent.” Although it is significantly less expensive, aftermarket glass is typically the same thickness from the original glass in your automobile and carries the same guarantee as OEM or dealer glass.
" They are also all DOT approved.

Quit believing everything your friends sister's boyfriend Cletus read on the P'cup truck boards. This is how bad information is passed on.

As a final point, MY windshield, provided by and installed by Safelite has been over 230 mph in my car... with no issues. It hasn't cracked, or been blown in or bowed or anything else....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote