Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #155
szalkerous

Drives: 99 Z28 M6 / 15 Silverado LTZ Z71 CC
I'm still in for a M6, and even though the shifting is impressive on the A10, I don't trust that transmission to not fall to pieces after the mileage is put on it. I also hate paddle shifters, I think they feel like a video game and not a real muscle car.

A clutch job is far easier, a manual stick is far more controllable still in my mind, and I'm not a 1/4mi guy. Simple choice.
szalkerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #156
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by szalkerous View Post
I'm still in for a M6, and even though the shifting is impressive on the A10, I don't trust that transmission to not fall to pieces after the mileage is put on it. I also hate paddle shifters, I think they feel like a video game and not a real muscle car.

A clutch job is far easier, a manual stick is far more controllable still in my mind, and I'm not a 1/4mi guy. Simple choice.
I the current ZL1 it seems the manual is failing more than the auto, which is minimum for either one.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #157
szalkerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I the current ZL1 it seems the manual is failing more than the auto, which is minimum for either one.
Since I admittedly counted out the entire Gen 5 family due to weight, I honestly am not familiar with this. Can you elaborate how the M6 in the current ZL1 is failing? Is it gearbox issues or clutch?

I'm not sure if the ZL1 got a TR-6060 like the SS's did, but those gearboxes are good for around 900RWTQ in "Magnum" flavors, so I'd be shocked if GM cut corners that badly on the currently offered ZL1. In fact, I know Tick Performance has a TR-6060 "Magnum" that will play well over 900RWTQ. Hell, they just built me a T-56 replacement for my 4th-gen that handles published crank numbers on the new ZL1!

(Gonna add in that I don't care what people choose for a transmission, it's a personal choice much like the color of the paint or the fuzzy dice hanging off the rear view..... Is that even still a thing? Anyways I just love the feel of a clutch and a stick shift. For me there's important satisfaction there. I've also had one-too-many auto transmissions blow up on me.)
Old 05-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #158
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I have mainly heard about clutches with the manual, they are both very stout trannys.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #159
szalkerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I have mainly heard about clutches with the manual, they are both very stout trannys.
Clutches aren't so bad, I know there's a few spots that put out some real beefy twin disc setups for the ZL1s.

In 2016, with all the technology and high precision grinding and assembly, transmission failures out of the factory should be history, regardless of automatic or manual. But as anyone with an older GM OEM transmission knows, cost drives cut corners waaaay too often....

...but I guess someone has to keep the aftermarket in business!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #160
szalkerous

Although that now makes me wonder, I got the chance to step on a V6 model RS clutch and that thing was GOD AWFUL. You could have told me it was the clutch pedal for an Aveo and I'd have believed you.

I'm a big fan of a nice strong resistance/feedback on my clutch. I really hope they don't make the SS/ZL1 clutches light as a feather or with a mile-long travel... or it won't see any more road time than it takes to drive over to the shop for a replacement.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #161
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

For Gen 5 as the trim level went up so did the level of transmission the ZL1 having the heaviest duty and cooled and programmed for performance.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #162
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by szalkerous View Post
Although that now makes me wonder, I got the chance to step on a V6 model RS clutch and that thing was GOD AWFUL. You could have told me it was the clutch pedal for an Aveo and I'd have believed you.

I'm a big fan of a nice strong resistance/feedback on my clutch. I really hope they don't make the SS/ZL1 clutches light as a feather or with a mile-long travel... or it won't see any more road time than it takes to drive over to the shop for a replacement.
The clutch in the 2017 ZL1 feels almost identical to the 2016 SS. (Which both surprised and pleased me...because the 5th-gen clutch was heavier than the SS and annoying in traffic (imo)).
Old 05-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #163
szalkerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The clutch in the 2017 ZL1 feels almost identical to the 2016 SS. (Which both surprised and pleased me...because the 5th-gen clutch was heavier than the SS and annoying in traffic (imo)).
Very interesting. Have you had the chance to try an RS clutch? If so, can you comment on the differences in feel?