Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
6 Gen Paint Issues Anyone Else?

Hey there all, I have to ask if I'm the only one that has been experiencing trouble with the factory paint? I have noticed the paint is very thin, is this just my car or me or has anyone else noticed this and have been inconvenienced by it? One day after a car wash I noticed on both sides, my rear quarters and the back of the rocker panels looked as if I splashed in white paint. After looking into it, it was rock ships and you can see the cars paint was severely thin. The service manager tried to tell me its a design flaw in the aero of the car and I agreed it was, then he stated that I must drive a lot on the highway and that I need side splitters. I immediately argued the fact with him that first of all the fact its a flaw in the aero is a gm issue not mine and that it isn't far for unexpected customers to deal with there flaw regardless of how many highway miles I put on the car it was only a year old with less than 20k on it and that its the purpose of buying the car was to drive it. Also I stated if it needs side splitter/rock guards to prevent this due to a design flaw then they should have come stock. After proving my point and not giving up, he finally agreed to repaint the panels. Now I have noticed after another year of the same driving practices at least on my rear quarters the issue doesn't exist due to the fact I believe that when they painted it, it was finally done to a better standard that the factory should have done to begin with. But now I have small but plentiful and noticeable ships all over the hood, fenders and some again on the side skirts, but none on the bumber, either do to that fact they knew they had to go with a thicker coat or the fact that the aero doesn't pull in debree to the front bumber, or even being the most of it is plastic grills with better adhesion and paint. before anyone states that without pictures this is usless, I will first say that I am sure anyone imagination can depict what I'm saying without photos and what missing paint looks like and that I am having android issues with uploading them. What do you guys think and what are your experiences?
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Many others have had the same issue. Best bet is to get paint protection film, rock guards, and lose the sticky tires. I had a 2014 2SS 1LE and after 60k freeway miles the rocker panels and rear quarters looked absolutely aweful. This problem isn't new for Camaro's and specific to the 6th gen but the factory paint on the 6th gen is thin and chips easily.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
It's not a design FLAW per se but it is due to the design. The camaro has wide hips that tend to catch rocks flying off the front tires. It was exactly the same with the 5th gen. GM put clear protection back there but not nearly high enough.

The thin paint is basically an industry standard these days. Blame the EPA. GM paint isn't the best, i'll admit.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
It's pretty common to have these issues. I had rock chips back on the hood, which had a paint correction done and a protection film installed. It has seemed to help. But yeah, it's annoying. One of the few complaints I have about my car as I never seemed to have these issues on a car before.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
Well I feel better than knowing it isn't just my bad luck, but I appreciate you guys for the response, What ill do is just have a good body shop do a complete repaint at a higher standard near show but without the price and then get it 5yr ceramic coated immediately but this will be a while before it happens ill wait till I get all my body mods together then do it all at the same time.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchiliesSS View Post
Well I feel better than knowing it isn't just my bad luck, but I appreciate you guys for the response, What ill do is just have a good body shop do a complete repaint at a higher standard near show but without the price and then get it 5yr ceramic coated immediately but this will be a while before it happens ill wait till I get all my body mods together then do it all at the same time.
Ceramic coating will not prevent rock chips.

Really, nothing will, but the best protection available right now is self-healing paint protection film (PPF.)

You can also install after market or GM rock guards.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Has anyone ever driven a car that didn't get rock chips? if you drive often on the highway, or spiritedly, I don't see how it's avoidable.

Now i do understand, every paint scheme or quality isn't the same, but the Mercedes, Audis and BMWs that park where I work have some kind of paint damage on close inspection.

I'd go with the film in the vulnerable areas if you want protection. And yes, I have some spots after the rockers from road chips, but I expected that. It's harder to see on the blue, but it's there. With a black car, evertyhing under the sun shows up. I know, I've owned 2.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
For me, caramic coating has been more to avoid waxing the car repeatedly. I've had it on my G37 for about 3.5 years. Still get the towel to slide nicely on the hood, after a quick wash. But it does'nt seem to be as quick as it used to be in the first year or two. I know some detailers tell you it will last 5 years. It will not. If its garage kept, maybe 3-4 years.

It definitely wont prevent rock chips.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Yea Gm really skimps on the paint. An area where ford and dodge have us beat lol (I have first hand experience with the paint on those brands, way more clear to work with.) I have come to accept it. I do a rock chip repair every major detail, about twice a year. Just a part of the cosmetic maintenance. Ammo NYC on YouTube has fantastic tips for repairing rock chips. The chips on metal surfaces should be repaired ASAP.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Big tires throw up more debris...sticky tires make that problem worse...then, add to it a surface that is presented to those chips to hit (ahead of rear wheels)....you see where I'm going.

Most opt for clear bra to protect the area...I think I will just repaint when the time comes.

Other than this design element, I have had no paint issues.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Apart from rock guards in the wheel wells, is there some sort of system for the front? I've seen some type of guard up front on some cars, but I think thats more for bugs, than rock chips on the hood.

I dont like the clear bra stuff.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Big tires throw up more debris...sticky tires make that problem worse...then, add to it a surface that is presented to those chips to hit (ahead of rear wheels)....you see where I'm going.

Most opt for clear bra to protect the area...I think I will just repaint when the time comes.

Other than this design element, I have had no paint issues.
I wonder if the ZL1 side skirts help protect against low flying debris off the front tires...
Old 04-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
I wonder if the ZL1 side skirts help protect against low flying debris off the front tires...
I can tell you: no.

If you ever watch a car drive through the rain, you can see where the water releases from the tire and sprays up at an angle...debris does the same thing.

SS 1LE is pretty bad because the tires stick out past the finders just a hair. The ZL1 covers those up better. If anything, the ZL1 1LE is the worst of the bunch because the tires are the widest, poke out the most, and are the stickiest...
Old 04-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Apart from rock guards in the wheel wells, is there some sort of system for the front? I've seen some type of guard up front on some cars, but I think thats more for bugs, than rock chips on the hood.

I dont like the clear bra stuff.
If you don’t like clear bra, then follow distance discipline is key to protecting the front end. At freeway speeds stay AT LEAST 4 car lengths away from passenger cars, and as far as possible from trucks. If you can see their tires, and you are closer than 4 car lengths, then I can guarantee that your front bumper and hood are taking hits, even if you can’t hear or see them.