Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Looking at trading up to an RS

I was wanting the HID headlights that came with an RS, but as expensive as they are, I figured I could trade up for a comparable 2011 RS or spend a little and get a 2012 RS. I'd like a 2SS, but it doesn't make sense as a daily driver and I have a heavy foot

I spent a little time with my dad over the weekend, he's been into trading cars for over 40 years, so we looked around at some of the car lots. I thought I'd found one, it was a 2011 2LT RS almost identical to mine, except it had black/inferno orange instead of black/grey. It was almost *too* orange though, and something about it didn't drive right. It wasn't as smooth of a drive and the engine sounded louder..but not in a good way, more of an 'i've been run to death' way.

My carfax wasn't disclosed when I got mine, and we completely overlooked it as there was no physical damage whatsoever and it drove fine. It was a previous rental, so it was very well maintained, however, there was a "minor" accident. Being a rental EVERYTHING had to be documented. We called our dealer friend and he looked into it, and what happened was the driver who was renting it at the time backed it into a parked car or trailer hitch...scratching the plastic bumper. That's it. There is literally a small scratch on the bumper. Nothing done to the frame damage, nothing that can't be snapped off and back on.

But of course, one of the dealers I went to looking at a '12 Red 2LT RS tried to con me out of everything it was worth, we both knew better though. My dad interrupted the guy and said, "you know good and well if the shoe was on the other foot, that scratch wouldn't make a difference. You'd sell it up nice and well, wouldn't you?" The guy stammered and tried to lie. After we left, my dad called a couple of his other dealer friends to verify that the scratch wouldn't hurt, they laughed and said of course not. It was one of his tactics, needless to say I won't go back to that dealership.

Either way, I'm on the lookout now for something comparable with an RS package. I know my deal is out there, I've just gotta be patient and now the thrill of the hunt begins
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
I personally would never trade up to an RS. Retrofit your headlights, or just buy OEM RS headlights, and spend your "trading up" money, on mods. Simple as that
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

I've thought about that as well. Putting a nice ZL1 grille on with some red headlights like yours? Man...it'd run circles around a stock RS.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
You don't have to go all the way to 2SS for the RS package. Mine is a 1SS with RS and it cost less than most fully loaded 2LT models.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
You don't have to go all the way to 2SS for the RS package. Mine is a 1SS with RS and it cost less than most fully loaded 2LT models.
Oh yeah...I'd love an SS. My biggest fear is that I couldn't afford it. Like I said in the truck thread, when I had my Sierra I was spending $500 a month since it was my DD. I've pretty much cut that in half. I *almost* make my payments in what I save in gas alone. I also like having the BA system and the HUD as well. Also the C&C package just makes it a little more worthwhile to me.

However, having the V8 would be nice as well If I still lived at home and wasn't engaged, I'd probably be driving a ZL1 right now. Ever since being on my own and taking on new responsibilities, I haven't been able to play as much as I would like
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Culb

Drives: 2012 2LS
Mod mod mod!
Culb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
If I were you I'd try to find a left over '12 on the lot, I'm sure dealers are tying to move those.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
I personally would never trade up to an RS. Retrofit your headlights, or just buy OEM RS headlights, and spend your "trading up" money, on mods. Simple as that
+1

and if you really just want staggered wheels - just buy some aftermarket ones - which will probably look way better anyway.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
To trade up just for a package seems kind of weak. Just mod it, it's much better that way and you'll spend lots of quality time with your Camaro that way.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
marcvilla

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
I have a pair of RS headlamps I was gonna use on my LT, I did what you are thinking of doing and upgraded to a RS, pm me if you like to buy them, I also have the wheels
marcvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
You might as well get a 1SS/RS
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Oh yeah...I'd love an SS. My biggest fear is that I couldn't afford it. Like I said in the truck thread, when I had my Sierra I was spending $500 a month since it was my DD. I've pretty much cut that in half. I *almost* make my payments in what I save in gas alone. I also like having the BA system and the HUD as well. Also the C&C package just makes it a little more worthwhile to me.

However, having the V8 would be nice as well If I still lived at home and wasn't engaged, I'd probably be driving a ZL1 right now. Ever since being on my own and taking on new responsibilities, I haven't been able to play as much as I would like
Please don't trade up to an RS.... That'd be a huge waste of money. If you want the RS headlights just buy them... it would be a lot cheaper

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Unless you're trading up to an SS otherwise there's no point in trading for what you already have. You would be much better off finding a set of RS headlights and installing the RS headlights on your car.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Oh men, don't do that. You can get a nice set of HID headlights for 600 or 700, plus the harness. And you can install them youreself.

You'll probably spend 3 times more just in taxes paid for the new car.