Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #141
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
The way I was taught...

You shouldn't see your car in your side mirrors without having to lean a little bit (for when backing into the garage, etc).

Many folks will angle their mirrors in such a way that they see a lot of their vehicle in the mirror, which actually reduces the amount of visibility into the lane next to you.

If you want, find a parking lot, find a spot where you can put a vehicle in your blind spot, and then adjust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSX_Camaro View Post
Your side mirrors should just barely, if at all, catch the rear of your car. The further "out" they are the smaller the potential blind spot is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
In the 5th gen, set your rear view mirror to your liking first.

Then, for the drivers side mirror, put your head close to the windows. Adjust the mirror until you can just barely see the "rear hips" of the car. Now, for the passenger side mirror...put your head near the center of the cabin between the two front seats...adjust that mirror similarly so you can just barely see the hips.

Now you should be very close. The goal is to have anything that comes out of the visibility of your rear view mirror, now just starts to appear in the side view mirrors. It worked great for me.
Great tips everyone! Interesting that everyone that has reported success in minimizing blind spots uses nearly the same approach to adjusting the mirrors.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #142
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Don't get me wrong, there is less visibility than other vehicles. The windows are small, the belt is high. It's not the pope mobile, but I don't expect it to be.

I think the biggest thing is, do you feel safe in it? Do you feel confident that you can drive it and not cut people off, or worse, run into people?

For me and my '14, I certainly do. I have never turned on my blinker to change lanes without knowing if somebody was there or not. When I first got it, I realized how much less I could see over my shoulders than in my Charger.

However, that only made me realize how cognizant I am of my surroundings. I know if there is somebody in my blind spot, because I saw them move there - people don't just appear in the blind spot.

However, because I am fallible and a creature of habit, I still look over my shoulders. Thus far, nobody has been there when I didn't expect them to be, but better safe than crunchy.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #143
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just to be clear, your mirrors don't help you backing out of your driveway onto a busy street.

You can depend on technology all you want with blind spot systems and you can ensure a child isn't behind you with a rear view camera.

Numerous situations are not improved with mirrors or technology. In the end, all things being equal, visibility will be a deciding factor for many buyers. And in this case, the Camaros superior performance will offset that decision.

Poor outward visibility makes a car feel smaller, more cramped. And for people that aren't on this website everyday who don't run to the Chevy dealer to drool over new products, this WILL be a deciding factor for purchase.

How many people do you know that go, "ya know, I'm seriously looking for a car with a high belt line, a slammed roof and really tiny quarter windows. I'm just tired of seeing what is around me". I'll vote few to none.

Most of us here just want a better Camaro. They gave us that.

I wanted a GREAT Camaro. And GM missed.

JMO and I understand why some just don't give a crap about this.

I don't understand those that are making it a personal and emotional issue.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #144
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From Car and Driver:

But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. That styling—with its narrow slits for side windows, fat C-pillar, and short rear glass—has, indeed, done nothing to improve the outward visibility in this new car. It is abysmal. We adjusted to it, partly by accelerating hard before performing lane changes just to clear some room. Adjust your mirrors carefully. The interior of the Ford Mustang feels ballroom-spacious by comparison.

But from MT:

Best of all, the new platform has allowed Chevy engineers to vastly improve the visibility out from the cabin. The view inside is pretty good, too, with a much more refined interior.

Car and Driver are just butt hurt because the camaro owns their beloved german cars.

Since I have read about 10+ reviews... I forgot which one it was but they used a 6'3 guy as an example and said he was very comfortable and visibility was much better than the gen5's.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #145
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Car and Driver are just butt hurt because the camaro owns their beloved german cars.

Since I have read about 10+ reviews... I forgot which one it was but they used a 6'3 guy as an example and said he was very comfortable and visibility was much better than the gen5's.
All of these magazines have always and will always be in the tank and biased for the foreign cars, especially the German cars. Time and time again they have been handed awesome machines from GM in the past few years and yet always say the cars are great, but...it is what it is, we all can see from all of these reviews today that this car kicks some serious butt and it will be a blast to drive! That is what I took out of all of these reviews, that I have read a few times, even before the paper copies arrived in my mailbox.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #146
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
All of these magazines have always and will always be in the tank and biased for the foreign cars, especially the German cars. Time and time again they have been handed awesome machines from GM in the past few years and yet always say the cars are great, but...it is what it is, we all can see from all of these reviews today that this car kicks some serious butt and it will be a blast to drive! That is what I took out of all of these reviews, that I have read a few times, even before the paper copies arrived in my mailbox.

Haha, very true. Don't get me wrong, I do want to hear the BAD about the car that I just ordered and no one has owned one (aka, no real review or knowledge of the car). But when you have everyone raving and loving it, 1 review being "meh", that is just damn wrong.
Build thread HERE!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #147
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Haha, very true. Don't get me wrong, I do want to hear the BAD about the car that I just ordered and no one has owned one (aka, no real review or knowledge of the car). But when you have everyone raving and loving it, 1 review being "meh", that is just damn wrong.
I have no problems hearing negatives about a car, but they better damn well be truthful and not nitpicking, like a know is .2 inches out of reach, and then say the car is a fail or loses a test, etc., which most of these magazines have done with various late model Vettes and Cadillacs.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #148
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I have no problems hearing negatives about a car, but they better damn well be truthful and not nitpicking, like a know is .2 inches out of reach, and then say the car is a fail or loses a test, etc., which most of these magazines have done with various late model Vettes and Cadillacs.
Agreed. Technically specs as well as reviews are saying good things about the gen6. I cannot wait to freaking drive my already... When I saw the head designer say they improved the visibility.. I was interested and then the options came along with the LT1. SOLD!
Build thread HERE!
Old 10-17-2015, 12:14 AM   #149
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Also from the Car and Driver article:

"We asked a designer: What have you done to improve the outward visibility of this new car over the last one? He replied something along the lines of “Camaro owners haven’t told us that that was something they felt needed to be improved and they liked the styling of the car.”
I've heard this a few times now. I'm not blaming the Camaro deciples, other enthusiasts or those in focus groups but I would be very curious as how this question about visibility was posed to them. Better sightlines should be seen as a positive especially on a sports coupe and certainly after the 5th Gen it should be seen as an area in need of improvement.
However, GM has stuck to this story that they were told not to change the compromised visibility. But If thy asked "Camaro owners" if visibility needed to be improved but that it would detract from the styling of the car then I could see people not wanting that.
But I don't think improving sightlines and lowering the belt line of the car would have detracted from the overall style of the car.

But as we have seen in this thread some people take the compromised sightlines as some kind of an attack on the car and maybe to a lesser extent themselves which shouldn't be viewed that way. So maybe they didn't get honest answers.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #150
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just to be clear, your mirrors don't help you backing out of your driveway onto a busy street.

You can depend on technology all you want with blind spot systems and you can ensure a child isn't behind you with a rear view camera.

Numerous situations are not improved with mirrors or technology. In the end, all things being equal, visibility will be a deciding factor for many buyers. And in this case, the Camaros superior performance will offset that decision.

Poor outward visibility makes a car feel smaller, more cramped. And for people that aren't on this website everyday who don't run to the Chevy dealer to drool over new products, this WILL be a deciding factor for purchase.

How many people do you know that go, "ya know, I'm seriously looking for a car with a high belt line, a slammed roof and really tiny quarter windows. I'm just tired of seeing what is around me". I'll vote few to none.

Most of us here just want a better Camaro. They gave us that.

I wanted a GREAT Camaro. And GM missed.

JMO and I understand why some just don't give a crap about this.

I don't understand those that are making it a personal and emotional issue.
I feel that GM has given us a GREAT Camaro. Having said that, I honestly agree that opening up the side windows one or two inches would have helped immensely, and not compromised the aggressive look of the car. For some people the visibility will be an issue. I have wondered why the safety items helping with the visibility (not counting back up camera which is standard) are optional, and only available on 2LT and 2SS. Increased sticker price of the car is the culprit, and the fact for alot of people visibility is a non-issue.

It is interesting that only one publication in all of the reviews I have read actually critisizes the visibility, when all of the others have a general opinion that visibility is a non-issue. It could be that the Car and Driver reporter said what he did without actually driving the car. When all of the others made their comments after actually driving the car.

Last edited by Bongos2U; 10-17-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #151
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
The way I was taught...

You shouldn't see your car in your side mirrors without having to lean a little bit (for when backing into the garage, etc).

Many folks will angle their mirrors in such a way that they see a lot of their vehicle in the mirror, which actually reduces the amount of visibility into the lane next to you.

If you want, find a parking lot, find a spot where you can put a vehicle in your blind spot, and then adjust.
hm, perhaps your US mirrors are very small ?
I noticed on the Camaro EU versions bigger mirrors. yes they are ugly but perhaps much better for safety ?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299952
I noticed also in C7 Z51 when i put in reverse gear both utside mirrors changed outmatically their adjustment. They went downwards i think. But for me NOTHING helps....it was a nightmare for parking slots or our perhaps smaller park houses. Always sent my wife out
After sitting in a 2015 GT i can say it has a very good visibility now, better than the 2011-14. One reviewer wrote Mustang inside is big like a ball house compared to camaro and inside camaro less light come in. I prefer the less sunshine come in because it will keep longer could in hot days ;-)
The huge rearglass of the Mustang and no sunroof options was for me a nightmare on same days, sure it has AC but i always feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by Noob; 10-17-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #152
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I also wonder why the safety items could not have been their own option package and available for both 1lt and 1ss. Without lookingam thinking it is $395 on other chevy car lines.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #153
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
I also wonder why the safety items could not have been their own option package and available for both 1lt and 1ss. Without lookingam thinking it is $395 on other chevy car lines.

Laborsmith
I thought this too. Most companies have a "tech" or "electronics" package that has this stuff.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #154
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post

Laborsmith
Someof the packaging of these options and items are a little strange on the Camaro, maybe they will be alterted and become a separate package somewhere dwn the road...maybe it is GM's way of forcing people into a higher trim, at least in the beginning.