Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Screw up and now looking for advice!?!?

Ok I'm so embarrassed to put this out here but it is what it is. So I've been really easy on this car since I bought it...until yesterday. So I was out and had the bright idea of doing a small burnout. Nothing crazy by any means just kind of see what she does and lift. Btw my apologies to the previous owner if he reads this.

So the place I stopped was dry and clean. So I hit the traction control button twice. Readout showed traction control off and in competition mode. Ok so I'm in 1st gear and rev to about 3000 or so and hold. I felt this was more than enough to get something going so I drop the clutch and about a tenth of a second later a huge Bam from somewhere behind the drivers seat. It was severe enough that I could see the rearview mirror vibrate out of the corner of my eye. So I lifted about a second later and drove down the road to feel out the car out. All felt and sounded fine so I go back to the spot and stopped to see if I had left anything behind and to see what the marks looked like. To my surprise only the driver side tire spun and showed no signs of wheel hop. It appears the passenger side didn't even try to spin at all.

So I drive 15 miles home feeling like a complete moron and concerned about what I just did to this near perfect car. I never heard any weird noises or vibrations which included highway speeds as well. It drove like what I just done to her never happened.

So what area's if any should I be looking at for damage if any?

And why would only the driver side tire spin?
I mean I can understand the passenger side but the driver side just seems odd.

Should I pull the diff cover and check things out there as well?

Thanks for any and all help on this. I'm thinking about putting the car up for the year now. I can not believe how bad I failed at that yesterday and I can't get that sound out of my head as if yet. Needless to say I don't see me trying that ever again.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Something sliding around in the trunk?

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
ichriscamaro
BlueDiamond

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE RRM
Hey man, I could be wrong but if you wanted to do a burnout I believe you needed to disabled TC completely which means pressing the TC button for about 7 seconds until the light came up on your dashboard. Pressing the TC button two times puts you in a competitive mode, hence the description on the dash board, and this will not disable all the nannies. Now as far as what broke , if anything is broken, I cannot confirmed or denied anything because I am no expert. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in and hopefully your car is okay. Good luck man, it is a very nice car, i miss mine badly.
ichriscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

I have nothing in the trunk. Interested in that I didn't disable fully. When I hit the button once it showed t/c disabled. Then when I hit it again it pulled up competition mode but still showed t/c off?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
May be time to change the diff fluid and see what it looks like.

Not sure where the bam could've come from. Could it have been a backfire?
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
May be time to change the diff fluid and see what it looks like.

Not sure where the bam could've come from. Could it have been a backfire?

Idk but i could feel it as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Hitting TC once allows for burnout. Hitting it twice still allows burnout, comp mode turns TC off but leaves some stability. Holding it 7 seconds or so turns everything off. Did you check half shafts and made sure you didnt shear it off? Plenty guys sheared their halfshafts off during hard launches.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Hitting TC once allows for burnout. Hitting it twice still allows burnout, comp mode turns TC off but leaves some stability. Holding it 7 seconds or so turns everything off. Did you check half shafts and made sure you didnt shear it off? Plenty guys sheared their halfshafts off during hard launches.

Ok I just got done getting the car up off the ground. Good grief I can't wait till I get a portable lift system to do that instead of a floor jack. Anyways when I rotate either rear wheel they both spin together. Don't hear any unusual noise from the diff. Has a little bit of clunk from the backlash but nothing at all that raises concerns to me. I'll do some more looking over the next few days.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Ok I just got done getting the car up off the ground. Good grief I can't wait till I get a portable lift system to do that instead of a floor jack. Anyways when I rotate either rear wheel they both spin together. Don't hear any unusual noise from the diff. Has a little bit of clunk from the backlash but nothing at all that raises concerns to me. I'll do some more looking over the next few days.
From what I read, the one wheel burn out means the ltd slip clutch packs may be worn or your diff fluid (which needs limited slip additive) needs to be replaced. Being a used car, I just assume people have beat on it before I got it.

The 1LE has the ZL1 axle shafts so it's built to take abuse (I hope). I am waiting to do a burnout to see what mine does. Maybe the bang came from when you dropped the clutch...like your foot slipped off the pedal? I did that once in a previous car and man i thought I broke something big.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
My guess would be a few of things; First, you did not rev it high enough to do a burnout. I hold about 3,000rpm when launching for a race or at the drag strip while slipping the clutch and spinning the tires just a tad. I think when in launch mode the computer holds the engine at like 4,000rpm? Then when you dumped the clutch you shocked the suspension putting it under tension/load and when the tire finally let go it released the tension on the suspension and maybe causing the tire to hop once??? As far as the one wheel peel it could have been the clutch pack in the diff slipping??? This can happen if there is too much friction modifier added when the fluid is changed. The LSD in the SS is not that great, they slip and act "funny" when paired with our big tires and stiffer suspension, that's why the Z28 has the torsen diff in it.

If it is still under warranty I would go and do a couple of semi-hard launches to make sure everything is good. Change the diff fluid to make sure the correct fluid and ratio of modifier is in it.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
"Compitition Mode" enables the launch control. So it shouldn't do a burnout at all in that mode. As others have said, pressing once or holding down for 7 seconds for burnouts. Check out the launch control video.

https://youtu.be/r9NXaVfWX8E

Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
2014white2ssrs1le

Drives: 2014 white 2ss rs 1le
What is this "hold for 7 seconds" business?
2014white2ssrs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
In comp mode launch control only works if you enter it, that requires 100% of throttle application, if you dont do 100% and your holding rpms yourself you dont get it, no?

7 sec business is press and hold your TC button on most GM performance cars and it will turn everything off, meaning no nannies like ESC and TC. All driver mode as I call it. Some guys that like to drfit etc have to do this otherwise a no go. I go all off o track aince even in comp mode with my mods its very intrusive during cornering.

Last edited by Mgizzle; 10-12-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014white2ssrs1le View Post
What is this "hold for 7 seconds" business?
Turns off the nannies. Traction control and stability control.