Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #295
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I didn't notice anything about the gas, but I bet it had something to do with the SLIGHTLY slower speeds and cooler temps.

I was very pleased with my gas mileage. I was getting 24-25 MPG.

That box light helped out so much. I sure was squinting trying to find you cause you were leaving me in your dust....err road wash (for once )

Slightly slower speeds...

24mpg... I can dream... lol

maybe if I throw on two Gear Vendors' overdrive units
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #296
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Slightly slower speeds...

24mpg... I can dream... lol

maybe if I throw on two Gear Vendors' overdrive units
Well you drive a big ass truck...with big ass tires...with a big ass engine. haha

But I'm back at school now so I'm back to getting 14 MPG.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #297
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Well you drive a big ass truck...with big ass tires...with a big ass engine. haha

But I'm back at school now so I'm back to getting 14 MPG.
its all relative.

my truck is big... compared to your car... but compared to Oracles GMC Topkick...

Tires are actually not that "big". the wheels are 16's... which I am wanting to change out for something a little taller. Was looking into some 19.5" wheels with some commercial grade tires for all the driving I do in the truck. (changed my oil the tuesday before the fest... I'm just about to cross 10k more miles this week...)

and my engine is smaller than yours... 6.2>6.0L
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #298
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
its all relative.

my truck is big... compared to your car... but compared to Oracles GMC Topkick...

Tires are actually not that "big". the wheels are 16's... which I am wanting to change out for something a little taller. Was looking into some 19.5" wheels with some commercial grade tires for all the driving I do in the truck. (changed my oil the tuesday before the fest... I'm just about to cross 10k more miles this week...)

and my engine is smaller than yours... 6.2>6.0L
Yeah that's true.

That's a lot of driving. I'm just barely over the 10k mark in my car let alone in a month.

Well I guess that's two things going for me then. Bigger engine, better highway miles.

I just calculated my MPGs since being back in auburn...I'm getting about 10 MPG. Solid.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #299
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Yeah that's true.

That's a lot of driving. I'm just barely over the 10k mark in my car let alone in a month.

Well I guess that's two things going for me then. Bigger engine, better highway miles.

I just calculated my MPGs since being back in auburn...I'm getting about 10 MPG. Solid.
yeah, I'm on the road a lot over the summer time. truck is racking up miles, but she still drives smooth and straight. I do need to replace the carrier bearing on the 2 pc driveshaft. and maybe add some trac bars to prevent axle wrap when towing.

my average fuel economy is around 12mpg or so. highway doing "my 10mph over" nets me around 14 or so and city miles are around 10 with or without a load. the damn thing drives like a diesel. planning on sealing the underbody of the truck off and custom fabbing a lower air dam to streamline the airflow around the truck.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #300
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
yeah, I'm on the road a lot over the summer time. truck is racking up miles, but she still drives smooth and straight. I do need to replace the carrier bearing on the 2 pc driveshaft. and maybe add some trac bars to prevent axle wrap when towing.

my average fuel economy is around 12mpg or so. highway doing "my 10mph over" nets me around 14 or so and city miles are around 10 with or without a load. the damn thing drives like a diesel. planning on sealing the underbody of the truck off and custom fabbing a lower air dam to streamline the airflow around the truck.
Would all that work trying to make it more aerodynamic really make enough of a difference to justify the cost?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #301
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Would all that work trying to make it more aerodynamic really make enough of a difference to justify the cost?
my parts cost is low and my labor cost is free cus I'm doing all the work myself. and there's only one way to find out.
remember, I'm an ME specializing in aeronautical engineering... and I love to make/invent/etc things

not to mention, if it can help get an 8XXXlbs diesel truck to hit 180+mph on the salt flats, it should help me with a few mpg on the highway. looks be damned.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur.../photo_01.html

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur.../photo_04.html

and yes... I do have some wheel covers to minimize drag as well.

The tires on the truck are already a commercial grade, high mileage tire rated for hauling heaving loads long distances for 100's of thousands of miles. The big killer for me is the gear ratio in the rear of the truck and the transmission.

4.10 gears in the rear and a 4L80e combined with a low C/R gas engine = shitty fuel economy.

and rather than changing the gears out in the truck, I've found a much more viable option to swap the entire axle out instead. I can get a new set of gears for around $3-500.00 then spend another $3-500.00 getting them installed (cus I don't trust myself to do it correctly) and now I'm out $1000 which would take a good while to recoup the costs.

Then depending on the ratio I went with, it would move the power around and I would lose a lot of the low-end that I love when towing, but I'd barely be turning the engine over on the highway.

now, if I found the right axle from GM with 3.55's, I could pick that up for $2-400.00 and do the swap in my driveway and retain all factory components and if I "need" the taller gears for a heavy load, then it would be an afternoon to swap the rear back to the stock one and I could go back and forth whenever I needed without needing a specialty shop to pull apart my rear end. and considering that GM made a 14 bolt, 10 lug, 3.55 axle for their2500HD and 3500HD cargo vans, I'm sure I can find one relatively easy. Right now, its just getting the time to go looking is the hard part. that and I would have to retune the truck for the different gears (which would also let me update my speedo as well...lol)

the axle swap would pay for itself in a few months (given the amount of miles I drive). doing a gear swap would take over a year to recoup and I would be stuck with whatever gear I picked and I like having the option to change things up for cheap.

But, smoothing out the fog light ports on the lower bumper, opening one on either side to run brake ducting, then adding the 6" lower valence, and sealing off the open areas between the underside of the cab and the frame should help minimize some drag on the truck. Not to mention, I'm custom fabbing up a tonnau cover for the rear to work with my toolbox as well to aid in minimizing drag.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #302
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Sounds like you got a lot of work on your hands, but if you enjoy doing that sort of stuff then its no work at all!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #303
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Sounds like you got a lot of work on your hands, but if you enjoy doing that sort of stuff then its no work at all!
Got a lot planned for the truck, still need to finish fabbing up the rotisserie for the 78 camaro in the garage and make a trip to either Aiken, SC or up to WV to get a new subframe for the car as well.

the biggest thing is finding time to do it all. With a new house and a wife and kid at home and work being as busy as it is, time is a virtue. the good thing is, I'm patient.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #304
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Got a lot planned for the truck, still need to finish fabbing up the rotisserie for the 78 camaro in the garage and make a trip to either Aiken, SC or up to WV to get a new subframe for the car as well.

the biggest thing is finding time to do it all. With a new house and a wife and kid at home and work being as busy as it is, time is a virtue. the good thing is, I'm patient.
Yeah for sure man.

I know I'd like to be doing things with my car inside and out but the free time I do have I want to just be so lazy with school kicking my ass.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #305
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
Bump, same plan for fest 4?
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #306
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
I'll be in the Wednesday group this Fest. I'm assuming you guys will be taking the same route?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #307
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
I'll be in the Wednesday group this Fest. I'm assuming you guys will be taking the same route?
I'm sure everything will be the same.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #308
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Just curious what the plan is for Fest 4. This is my first fest. I will be leaving early Wednesday.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote