Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
TBAtilidk

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS 6M HBM
P0336 - No consistent CEL, Slow crank, 2016 SS

I have used the search function and haven't gotten a great understanding.

Some backstory: Over the last year I have had the slow crank appear and when it initially got worse, It started as a slow crank (chug-chug...chug-chug..... chug-chug-chug-chug-chu-ch-ch- startup) and then eventually it stopped cranking at all. Consulted a chevy dealer, we all know how that goes. Tested the battery, looked fine, said nothing is wrong with the starter. I replaced the battery and seemed to go away. I did some searching and understood the 16's came without any heat shield wrapping around the starter and would cause some issues with turning over the car.

Came back a little while ago hard and then I eventually threw a check engine light about two days ago on the way to work. I drove it to work and by the time I got off it went away. I plugged an OBDII up and got P0336, Crankshaft position Sensor A.

Point of this post is I'm leaning towards swapping the crankshaft position sensor and inspecting the old one. But I'm reading some of it could be bad wire grounds. I'm looking for some direction/advice if anyone has dealt with this and any recommendations..

Car - 2016 SS, 63000 miles, no engine mods

Last edited by TBAtilidk; 06-18-2020 at 09:52 AM.
TBAtilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Had the same problem here. Had a new negative cable replaced from the battery. Didn't fix it. Had the starter wrapped in a heat resistance material. Didn't fix it. Had another ground wire installed. Didn't fix it. The last thing I had done, was to replace the battery even though it was passing all the dealers tests and I haven't had a slow crank once in 6 months. I'm expecting the issue to return again at some point but for now, the slow crank/no crank seems to have been resolved with a new battery.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
TBAtilidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
Had the same problem here. Had a new negative cable replaced from the battery. Didn't fix it. Had the starter wrapped in a heat resistance material. Didn't fix it. Had another ground wire installed. Didn't fix it. The last thing I had done, was to replace the battery even though it was passing all the dealers tests and I haven't had a slow crank once in 6 months. I'm expecting the issue to return again at some point but for now, the slow crank/no crank seems to have been resolved with a new battery.

Yeah I'm about 4-5 months after a new battery and the problem seems to still persist. I'm sure it has to originate with the amp distance between the starter and battery being stressed under heat conditions but I'm just not sure where to go from here cause it problem has caused some other issues by default.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAtilidk View Post
Yeah I'm about 4-5 months after a new battery and the problem seems to still persist. I'm sure it has to originate with the amp distance between the starter and battery being stressed under heat conditions but I'm just not sure where to go from here cause it problem has caused some other issues by default.
Check the wiring and routing, make sure the harness isn't near high output things like spark plugs.

If the code wasn't present when you went to the dealership, they may not have suspected CPS, since it would throw a code. Since you should still be under powertrain warranty, it might be worth a shot now that you have a DTC. Especially if it has anything to do with the reluctor wheel. Use that warranty while you have it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
TBAtilidk

Thanks MrChrisLS3.

Wires look to be in good condition. I'm going go ahead and swap the CPS and still debating if I need to just go ahead and replace the starter while I'm down there.